Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: -
Buying

So I was thinking of buying my uncles 1989 525i for $1,200. he bought it just recently for $500 and bought about $700 worth of parts in there, not too mention a lot of time. i was just wondering if it is worth the buy. My biggest concern is that it has 358k miles on it. would that be an immediate problem?
Ads by Google
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
More details please, condition of the body interior. How about the mechanics? Auto? Any issues you know about? There must be a reason he got it so cheap......

Gotta love an E34!!:thumb up:
If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
So a synopsis of a normally operating fan clutch:

Engine stone cold - fan clutch engaged
Engine at normal operating temp - fan clutch disengaged (easily stopped with the newspaper)
Engine above normal operating temp - fan clutch engaged
STOMP TEST

OEM Approved brands
READ ME IM THE BIBLE
Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 PM

The leather on the seats is ripping like leather will but I have a relative that can fix that. And the computer seems to be dented. As well as where the control for the sunroof is, that is falling. I don't know of any issues with the auto, I drove it and it seemed fine.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 PM

Anybody know if this would be worth the $1,200 maybe some less? The thing that really worries me is the 358K Miles on it.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Nothin like an E34

Thats why i asked about the auto tragic trans, most go out at half that. If i runs good, looks decent, drives well, it may be worth that. Depends how many are in your area, if you don't see many online i would say it is a foot price. Pics tell a thousand words, put a few up if possible and we can judge much better.

If you want to get junkyard parts remember one thing, if it was wrecked you know it was running/driving. You may not know how well, but it was.
Quote:

Engine at normal operating temp - fan clutch disengaged (easily stopped with the newspaper)
STOMP TEST

OEM Approved brands
READ ME IM THE BIBLE
Old 10-31-2013, 09:35 PM

It's a manual Tran.

http://imgur.com/a/nTBld

that's an album of pics of it. mostly the interior problems.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:53 AM
Nothin like an E34

Its a bit of a hard call, it looks like it would clean up nice with some serious elbow grease. It may be worth that. Just depends on what you are willing to spend. I think it would be worth it, or 1k if you could talk him down.

Quote:

STOMP TEST

OEM Approved brands
READ ME IM THE BIBLE
Old 11-01-2013, 05:38 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
The 358k miles certainly could be a problem. Have you tested the engines compression? Which parts did your uncle replace? That engine has a timing belt that requires replacement every 60k miles. The suspension rebuild will be $1000, the cooling system $1000, new used interior $500-1000, paint???? Other repairs????

These are great old cars, do not get me wrong. They require extensive upkeep. You can go a long time if properly maintained with all up to date maint items. I would suspect there is still unfinished work to be done though at that age with those miles.

It is also the least powerful 5 series offered in this country making it less desirable on re-sale. IMO, it is still a $500 car, and you better have 3-4 times that much budgeted if you want to make it a reliable daily driver.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 530i
IF you can get it for $1000, it would at least be a decent daily beater, but I would not spend much on it in terms of improvements, since these cars are nearing 30 years old
and are not worth much to begin with. You will in another $1000 for parts and labor that will not add much in value, for just routine maintenance. Still, I see lots of cars for that
price that would make a cheap DD, one that if it craps out, you can just walk away....
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 PM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Sport seats...

Anyways around me at least i could find a nicer one for 1500$ or so needing much much less work..

M20 e34s nearly have died out.. But it is a manual and there for worth keeping..

Its all about what you kind find there and what its worth to you..
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. Cold air intake/ Dinan tune/racing exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013
Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 535i 3.5L Ger A/T
Buying within the family can be difficult to deal with sometimes. Just depends on what happens with the car. I'm just sayin...