Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-31-2013, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325i
overheating

my 06 325i has overheated three times after driving for almost exactly two hours at speeds between 70 80 mph. I checked coolant before the trip each time. When warning light appears I stop, let it cool for a couple minutes and then add more coolant to replace the coolant that spews out when I open the cap. Then I continue my trip. It does not overheat on the return trip. I do not get it
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i E90
have you done anything to the cooling system recently (replace pump, thermostat)?
does it overheat while driving or when you stop?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:45 AM

I have done nothing to cooling system. The temp warning appears while driving but only after two hours driving between 70 and 80 mph
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 AM

overheats while driving. car has 60k miles water pump never changed.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Whoaaaa. If you open the cap and refill it while the engine is hot you are NOT replacing lost coolant, only some of it. You have air in the system and it has to be bled off or you are going to be adding coolant ad infinitum. Learn the proper bleeding procedure and you will have a cooling system with all coolant and no air. Air is deadly and wreaks all sorts of havoc, both mechanical and chemical. For starters, your pump gets air entrained and greatly loses efficiency. Then that coolant that does circulate does its job very poorly due to the air 'insulating' the coolant from the water jacket. Meanwhile the oxygen in the air is acting as a catalyst between dissimilar metals. Think accelerated corrosion.

BTW, you will soon ruin your plastic tanked radiator if you haven't already. Bet you a dollar that the radiator inlet is ready to fall off...
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtysonjohn View Post
my 06 325i has overheated three times after driving for almost exactly two hours at speeds between 70 80 mph. I checked coolant before the trip each time. When warning light appears I stop, let it cool for a couple minutes and then add more coolant to replace the coolant that spews out when I open the cap. Then I continue my trip. It does not overheat on the return trip. I do not get it

Well, were you going uphill getting there; turn around to go home?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Whoaaaa. If you open the cap and refill it while the engine is hot you are NOT replacing lost coolant, only some of it. You have air in the system and it has to be bled off or you are going to be adding coolant ad infinitum. Learn the proper bleeding procedure and you will have a cooling system with all coolant and no air. Air is deadly and wreaks all sorts of havoc, both mechanical and chemical. For starters, your pump gets air entrained and greatly loses efficiency. Then that coolant that does circulate does its job very poorly due to the air 'insulating' the coolant from the water jacket. Meanwhile the oxygen in the air is acting as a catalyst between dissimilar metals. Think accelerated corrosion.

BTW, you will soon ruin your plastic tanked radiator if you haven't already. Bet you a dollar that the radiator inlet is ready to fall off...

Maybe not a catalyst. And cooling system inhibitors should prevent corrosion, including galvanic, knowing what system metallurgy is from the factory.

But! If nitrite based, will oxidize to useless nitrate in the presence of oxygen, a well known failing of many closed loop treatments. Silicate was once used to inhibit corrosion with oxygen, but had the unfortunate effect of shredding pump seals. Prob organic protection now.

However. Higher than design temps and oxygen are a tough combination to beat. To wit: What's that radiator inlet made of? And if air in system, gotta look at pump cavitation compounding the issue. Low flow w/high temp may cause deposits; engine overheating. Oh, it's a nasty situation, fraught with traps and pitfalls!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-01-2013 at 02:01 PM.