Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1991 BMW 535i
1991 BMW 535i Stick Shift

Hello guys

It's me again I was wonder what are the sweet spot when I shift gears up especially the first gear. I want to shift smoothly plus save on gas!

Also I had change my break pad from Napa great quality but now I have to change the rotors with new brake lining plus rebuilt the front left & right caliper. Does anybody can embrace me with some knowledge

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2013, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushidozoe View Post
It's me again I was wonder what are the sweet spot when I shift gears up especially the first gear. I want to shift smoothly plus save on gas!
Situations dictate everything, but for the most part as early as possible. I shoot for 1600-1700 RPM tops...and very quick with the clutch. Don't take your foot off the pedal.

You'll know when you get it right when 1st gear feels more like a quick push (or burp) just to get the car rolling, than a long winding stroll.

Granted, taking 1st all the way out 2700 RPM every time makes for a very smooth transition into 2nd and a spirited get away, but you'll pay for that at the pump...and eventually in a new set of rear tires.

Treat the big six like an eight. Make full use of it's torque down there. Keep everything under 2500 around town and it'll return somewhat decent mileage considering you're pushing almost 2 tons of metal at every light.

my .02
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Drive her like an ///M

Send a message via Skype™ to Dionte
Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 535i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
Situations dictate everything, but for the most part as early as possible. I shoot for 1600-1700 RPM tops...and very quick with the clutch. Don't take your foot off the pedal.

You'll know when you get it right when 1st gear feels more like a quick push (or burp) just to get the car rolling, than a long winding stroll.

Granted, taking 1st all the way out 2700 RPM every time makes for a very smooth transition into 2nd and a spirited get away, but you'll pay for that at the pump...and eventually in a new set of rear tires.

Treat the big six like an eight. Make full use of it's torque down there. Keep everything under 2500 around town and it'll return somewhat decent mileage considering you're pushing almost 2 tons of metal at every light.

my .02
I give mine a pretty good exercise fairly often . If I drive moderately, I generally shift around 2000-2200 RPM and cruise in 4th or 5th between 45-55 mph at about 20% throttle to keep the mpg meter steady at above 25 mpg.
My .02

http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/imDionte/media/My-car-custom-tag_zps9eb10966.jpg.html?filters[user]=135053710&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 AM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
I even go to at least 2000 RPM....

That's With the v8 and gears.. Its just a BMW thing my TQ isnt peaked till 4,200 rpm, driving way way below the power wont do you any favors at the pump..

You have to be an adaptive driver, constantly processing and looking for whats ahead!

Throttle angle vs rpm vs load vs momentum vs incline... Ect = how you drive currectly..

Up hill 2nd is more efficient than 3rd levels out so 3rds best.. Downhill.. Nuetral or riding 4th... Ect.

Point is, its more how you drive than what you drive..

Watch top gear?

They take a Prius and run it around the track a couple times quickly, an e92 m3 keeps up right behind it with no effort at all and averaged much much better mileage..

So if your gonna kinda speed around, carelessly like most woman here in OC with a prius or an m3..

The M3's not really getting worse MPGs..

Of course if you intentionally hyper mile a prius it will out hypermile the M3 but for regular semi spearited driving you have to dig so deep in the prius you would be better off in a diesel MPG wise...

Vs a car you think about wiggling your toe and it will dust the prius with 98% of power in reserve..

The key over all, it feel as if your letting the car be as lazy as possible..

Like you never even press the gas, as if gravity was enough. You do aa little rom as possible witg out having to push the gas harder to keep it moving.. Down shift into more power to aviod having to push the gas harder.. Coast downhills in gear becuase When the wheels pull the motor the dme closes the injects no gas is used essentially driving free..

Just as little throttle as it possibly can take to get there, slow down to roll threw lights dont stop colmpletely..

You should have an MPG guage on your dash to tell you what works and trip computer to tell you your averages..

But its all the just an understanding of the million factors to account for..
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. C.A.I/JBR LWFW/ Dinan tune/hi flow exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013

Last edited by imae34driver; 11-05-2013 at 09:37 AM.