Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Has This Happened to Your Fog Lights?

Started the car yesterday morning (it was still dark and 29 F degrees) and could see the reflection of the front of my X3 on the surface of the tailgate of the truck in front of me. I immediately noticed the right fog light only was on even though I had not pushed the button. When I pushed the button the left light came on too but nothing turned the right foglight out unless I moved the light switch to the hard off center position. Even shutting the car down and restarting it did not get the right light to behave.

Last night and again this morning (much warmer 46 F) the lights were working properly. It seems that the computer might have had a little brain fart.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

I installed the European headlight switch to enable the rear foglights so I initially though the switch might be bad. I was going to re-install the original switch but since the right light is now behaving that will not prove anything.
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Were you turning right sitting behind that truck and had your blinker on perchance?
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The fog lights on the X3 doubles as a cornering light. When you turn your wheel pass a certain degree or turn on your turn signal, one side of the fog light will turn on.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: e92 & f25
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
The fog lights on the X3 doubles as a cornering light. When you turn your wheel pass a certain degree or turn on your turn signal, one side of the fog light will turn on.
+1 and also both fog lights turns on when you go on reverse
Old 10-31-2013, 11:13 AM

Did not know they are also cornering lights!

I was in a parking space in a parking lot. The wheel might have been turned to the right of center based on the right hand loop I make to get to my favored space when I get home at night - but will never now know. You all can bet I will test this tomorrow morning.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 PM

Ran a test after dark tonight and found as soon as wheel is turned about 270 degrees (3/4 of a full turn) from neutral the appropriate fog light comes on. The appropriate fog light also comes on when the turn signal is on.

I am now certain the "problem" I described in the first post was due to the wheel being turned to the right of neutral.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2.8i (2014)
Has This Happened to Your Fog Lights?

Quote:
The fog lights on the X3 doubles as a cornering light.
Anyone else feel that this is one of the best features of the car? It's hard for me to explain to others how great that is along with my dynamic headlights.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrferrisbueller View Post
Anyone else feel that this is one of the best features of the car? It's hard for me to explain to others how great that is along with my dynamic headlights.
The old Cadillac use to have cornering light some 20 years ago, it is widely used in European cars now. In most of the cornering light systems, the cornering light is a seperate light from the fog light. Using the foglights as cornering light is no doubt a cost saving measure by BMW. The problem with this setup is that you do not get additional cornering lighting if your fog lights are on already.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
The problem with this setup is that you do not get additional cornering lighting if your fog lights are on already.
I dont think I'd look at it that way, the light spread is exactly the same regardless if the fog light is on as fog lights or turned on when you are turning.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
.... ya a great feature denied to us north of the border even with a higher MSRP... that one still burns my arse.

Quote:

Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
.... ya a great feature denied to us north of the border even with a higher MSRP... that one still burns my arse.
Well you can always enable it by coding the option to be enabled. Whether or not that makes you a target for the police for driving with illegal lighting is a whole other matter hehe!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
The old Cadillac use to have cornering light some 20 years ago.
20 years ago? More like 50 years ago.

My Dad had a 1964 Buick Electrica and his partner had a 1964 Cadillac (don't remember model), both had these big rectangular cornering lights. If I remember correctly, they were mounted on the lower sides, just in front of the tire wells. I think they were triggered by the turn signals but too many years ago to be sure. They were an option on both cars.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Is this thing on?

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
20 years ago? More like 50 years ago.

My Dad had a 1964 Buick Electrica and his partner had a 1964 Cadillac (don't remember model), both had these big rectangular cornering lights. If I remember correctly, they were mounted on the lower sides, just in front of the tire wells. I think they were triggered by the turn signals but too many years ago to be sure. They were an option on both cars.
Yea, the old Cadillac Fleetwood had the cornering lights AND auto high/low headlight feature! I will admit though that the auto high/low feature in the Cady was not very useful as compared to the BMW technology today...
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2oGreggy View Post
Yea, the old Cadillac Fleetwood had the cornering lights AND auto high/low headlight feature! I will admit though that the auto high/low feature in the Cady was not very useful as compared to the BMW technology today...
We became a "two car family" when my Dad bought a bright red 1954 Chevy Belaire convertable. It had this relatively large thing (It looked like a stubby modernistic periscope) that sat on the dash. The "perisocope" eye looked forward through the windshield. It was supposed to be an automatic headlight hi/low feature. It never worked worth a turd so was never enabled but that goes back 60 years ago. I certainly wasn't close to old enough to ever drive this car so I only know about it from the comments my Dad made.

I would be curious to know how well the contemporary BMW hi/low system works.

Last edited by RhoXS; 11-01-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
The problem with this setup is that you do not get additional cornering lighting if your fog lights are on already.
Is this really a problem though, b/c if you have your fog lights on - then it's like your cornering lights are always on? Unless the fog lights aren't adequate as cornering lights in the first place.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post

I would be curious to know how well the contemporary BMW hi/low system works.
The modern day auto high beam uses a camera, in the old say, probably just mirrors and a photo electric sensor.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
I dont think I'd look at it that way, the light spread is exactly the same regardless if the fog light is on as fog lights or turned on when you are turning.
If you ever drove the 5 or 7 series, you would know what I am getting at. When you make a turn, even with the fog light on, the cornering light will provide additional lighting to cover the area on the side.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
The modern day auto high beam uses a camera, in the old say, probably just mirrors and a photo electric sensor.
I am certain your correct and the 1954 version simply used a photo electric sensor much like the old averaging sensor on cameras.

I would think that there must be a lot of processing power behind the modern device so it can discern between an oncoming car and other lighting, including hugh differences in ambient lighting.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Quote:

That's pretty cool!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
I noticed this last night on our new X3 and remembered this thread

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I wish... the car is missing the bits to swivel the lights left and right... although auto leveling is present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
Well you can always enable it by coding the option to be enabled. Whether or not that makes you a target for the police for driving with illegal lighting is a whole other matter hehe!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I wish... the car is missing the bits to swivel the lights left and right... although auto leveling is present.
My headlights swivel.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in NC View Post
My headlights swivel.
His don't swivel because he is located in Canada.