Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Another defective CTEK 3300?

I know, this subject has been beat to death. But once more with feeling…

Last spring I bought a CTEK 3300 and connected it to my Bimmer. I charged the battery for 10 days yet the green light (full charge) never came on. I mentioned it the the BMW dealer who replaced my battery under warrantee as a courtesy.

In September just before going in for shoulder replacement surgery I garaged the car and hooked up the CTEK. This time no lights came on. I sent it back to the manufacturer and received a new one a week later. I hooked that one up and it went into the charging mode. Because of my surgery I have not driven the Bimmer for the past 6 weeks. Today the doctor gave me the go-ahead on driving so I went down to disconnect the CTEK only to find that it is still showing the red charging light! This is the same problem I had with the last one.

Now I am wondering, is it the CTEK or is something wrong with the BMW? Tomorrow I will see if the car starts.

Has anyone else had problems with the CTEK 3300?

ps The surgery went well. I won't be fully recovered for the better part of a year but as least I am no longer a one-armed paper hanger. LOL
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2013, 04:53 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I am glad your procedure went well, and I wish you a speedy recovery.

My CTEK has been working great, and it's used regularly. I know they all can't be working perfectly, but yours is the first I heard of that "failed".

I vaguely remember your other thread, but I'm not sure what there is for better out there. After all CTEK is OEM for Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Maserati, etc. I think you said made in China? But maybe that's our only choice. I mean, you don't use a made in the USA cell phone, right...

Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of this. Maybe some sort of parasitic draw test is in order? Grasping...
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i
Another defective CTEK 3300?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post

My CTEK has been working great, and it's used regularly. I know they all can't be working perfectly, but yours is the first I heard of that "failed".
+1

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
After my premature battery failure due to "unfavorable driver behavior" i.e. driving short distances and being obsessed with a clean car which means many door open/door shut cycles without drive off, I was granted a new battery approximately one year ago. Since that time, about every 3 weeks on Sunday afternoon, the E93 mates with the CTEK3300. I can almost set a stopwatch on the procedure that in ~4 hours give or take a few minutes, the CTEK will go from orange to green.

So far, the CTEK has operated flawlessly.

Is your car garaged? If so, do you lock the car even in the garage? When I had my issue, the dealer service group reiterated that locking the car helps put the IBS system to sleep. Otherwise, (and this is corroborated in the Bentley Manual), the IBS will wake itself up every 6 or so hours and do a pulse check. If the car is left unlocked it takes additional time to completely power down.

Whether this is gospel or hearsay I won't say. All I know is that before I got in the habit of locking the car as soon as I get out - even in the garage - I could walk out into the garage 30-45 minutes later and I would suddenly hear a whir like a hard drive spinning. Since I've started the "lock upon departure" protocol, this mysterious whirring has ceased.

Good luck with your shoulder rehab.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
After my premature battery failure due to "unfavorable driver behavior" i.e. driving short distances and being obsessed with a clean car which means many door open/door shut cycles without drive off, I was granted a new battery approximately one year ago. Since that time, about every 3 weeks on Sunday afternoon, the E93 mates with the CTEK3300. I can almost set a stopwatch on the procedure that in ~4 hours give or take a few minutes, the CTEK will go from orange to green.

So far, the CTEK has operated flawlessly.

Is your car garaged? If so, do you lock the car even in the garage? When I had my issue, the dealer service group reiterated that locking the car helps put the IBS system to sleep. Otherwise, (and this is corroborated in the Bentley Manual), the IBS will wake itself up every 6 or so hours and do a pulse check. If the car is left unlocked it takes additional time to completely power down.

Whether this is gospel or hearsay I won't say. All I know is that before I got in the habit of locking the car as soon as I get out - even in the garage - I could walk out into the garage 30-45 minutes later and I would suddenly hear a whir like a hard drive spinning. Since I've started the "lock upon departure" protocol, this mysterious whirring has ceased.

Good luck with your shoulder rehab.
Kat,

I have the factory alarm, and feel that activating it (and the goofy clown nose) by locking the car (garaged) would result in a greater power drain than by not locking it.
Regardless, I use a Deltran trickle charger, and it's been performing as expected for over three years.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinDC View Post
In September just before going in for shoulder replacement surgery I garaged the car and hooked up the CTEK. This time no lights came on. I sent it back to the manufacturer and received a new one a week later. I hooked that one up and it went into the charging mode. Because of my surgery I have not driven the Bimmer for the past 6 weeks. Today the doctor gave me the go-ahead on driving so I went down to disconnect the CTEK only to find that it is still showing the red charging light! This is the same problem I had with the last one.

Guessing this is what you use. So. How exactly did you hook it up?

Typical 3 stage lead-acid battery charger.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
Kat,

I have the factory alarm, and feel that activating it (and the goofy clown nose) by locking the car (garaged) would result in a greater power drain than by not locking it.
Regardless, I use a Deltran trickle charger, and it's been performing as expected for over three years.
As I suggested, my locking the car is hearsay advice from the dealership. They also couldn't remember or figure out if I had CA so all bets are off with their suggestion with regard to an alarm equipped car.

For the record, my "low tech" E93 that has neither CA nor an alarm system has settled down and no longer whirs and gurgles long after parking it in the garage as long as I lock it upon exit. Of course, like I mentioned a few posts back, I'm now making it a habit to every 3-4 weeks give it a mainline injection via my CTEK unit.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793