Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Girlbunny Girlbunny is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Question 2007 BMW 328i Extended Gold Warranty Coverage?

Hi,
I purchased the extended Gold Warranty Coverage for my 2007 BMW 328i and I was just informed that my radiator has a hole in it. The dealer says it will costs $1400.00 to replace?

First question: isn't that covered?
and
Second: $1400.00 seems really high?

I know owning a BMW is expensive, but that is why I bought the extended GOLD Warranty Coverage for over $3000.00

Last edited by Girlbunny; 11-01-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 AM
3two8iguy's Avatar
3two8iguy 3two8iguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere between New York & Raleigh
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 310
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
That Gold warranty says "Heating/Air conditioning system and Cooling system"dont see why it would not,keep us informed.I have a 2011 328i and must extend the warranty myself and thought "Gold" was the way to go so please let me know what happens,thanks.
__________________
Life is a Journey,Enjoy your ride.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,585
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
take it in give them a copy of your warranty and let them sort it out. Make sure you tell them you will NOT accept a used Radiator, those warranty companies will try their best to put used parts on the car. While they are replacing the Radiator, even if you have to fork out the money have them replace the upper and lower radiator hose and I would do the serpentine belt too
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 AM
git_yo_own git_yo_own is offline
Registered User
Location: Califormia
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
As long as the hole wasn't a result of a bad job made by non-BMW service, I don't see why your radiator wouldn't be covered. Please let us up to date with what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Norm37 Norm37 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, Washington USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 892
Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlbunny View Post
Hi,
I purchased the extended Gold Warranty Coverage for my 2007 BMW 328i and I was just informed that my radiator has a hole in it. The dealer says it will costs $1400.00 to replace?

First question: isn't that covered?
Just click on cooling system in the link below and it shows what is covered.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx

Last edited by Norm37; 11-01-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 AM
surfcity335i surfcity335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntington Beach
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 374
Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlbunny View Post
Hi,
I purchased the extended Gold Warranty Coverage for my 2007 BMW 328i and I was just informed that my radiator has a hole in it. The dealer says it will costs $1400.00 to replace?

First question: isn't that covered?
and
Second: $1400.00 seems really high?

I know owning a BMW is expensive, but that is why I bought the extended GOLD Warranty Coverage for over $3000.00
They'll tell you the thermostat stuck and caused the radiator to fail and thermostats aren't covered so neither is the subsequent damage.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 AM
3two8iguy's Avatar
3two8iguy 3two8iguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere between New York & Raleigh
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 310
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
They'll tell you the thermostat stuck and caused the radiator to fail and thermostats aren't covered so neither is the subsequent damage.
Do you know that from experience?I would argue that the BMW "Cooling System" diagram list the thermostat as part of the "system"and if the "system" is covered then the thermostat should be covered as well.
__________________
Life is a Journey,Enjoy your ride.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-01-2013, 11:07 AM
surfcity335i surfcity335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntington Beach
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 374
Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
Do you know that from experience?I would argue that the BMW "Cooling System" diagram list the thermostat as part of the "system"and if the "system" is covered then the thermostat should be covered as well.
You have to click "cooling system" to reveal the sublist of covered components. Radiator is there. Thermostat is not. My crystal ball says they will blame the non-covered component as the cause of the failure of the covered component, and then point you to the language that says failure of a covered component as subsequent damage to the failure of a non-covered component is NOT COVERED! Seen it a hundred times. I hope it does not happen to BunnyGirl.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Girlbunny Girlbunny is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Ok, i spoke with the warranty company today, and they are telling me that only the GOLD PLUS covers the radiator, I am digging up my signed agreement with them, once I find it I will know what is covered. I only have had the BMW dealership work on my car since I bought it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Norm37 Norm37 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, Washington USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 892
Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlbunny View Post
Ok, i spoke with the warranty company today, and they are telling me that only the GOLD PLUS covers the radiator, I am digging up my signed agreement with them, once I find it I will know what is covered. I only have had the BMW dealership work on my car since I bought it.
Did you click on Cooling System in the link I gave in my first reply?

It shows the radiator is covered on all three plans.

Platinum Coverage, Gold Coverage, Powertrain Plus Coverage.

Ps. Did you buy the BMW Extended Vehicle Protection plan or some third party plan?

Last edited by Norm37; 11-02-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Tom K. Tom K. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,558
Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
They'll tell you the thermostat stuck and caused the radiator to fail and thermostats aren't covered so neither is the subsequent damage.
Why would a thermostat (which sticks in the open position) cause a hole in the radiator?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, Ca.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 927
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
From my experience, radiators aren't that expensive unless you purchase from the dealer. A BEHR radiator for your car is $177.00. Usually you disconnect the hoses, pull out the radiator, put in the new one, and reconnect the hoses. I imagine they are charging you for every little thing they have to disconnect and reconnect at dealer prices and then new coolant and freeing they system of any air. I would try an independant BMW repair shop. It should be very basic for them to repair without the extensive dealership charges. Depends on how much you want to battle. My employee at work had a busted radiator in his Mercedes E350. Dealer wanted $1700.00. He got it done for $300.00 total from a mobile mechanic and tipped him $100.00. Has not had a problem in over 1.5 years with it.

Last edited by sptt144; 11-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-03-2013, 05:09 AM
hondo402000 hondo402000 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,585
Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
yep I agree you should be able to do it your self, just some plastic covers to remove couple of hose clamps, just make sure you use distilled water when you fill it back up
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Girlbunny Girlbunny is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Unhappy

I bought a third party plan, come to find out. I bought it at the BMW dealership, so I assumed it was a BMW Gold Warranty, a little bit confusing. It is a Gold Warranty just not a BMW Gold Warranty.

It gets worse.... my turn signals are not working, and they told me that I need a new light housing which cost $2600

If I have them do the radiator it is $1400.00, if I want the hoses changed when I put the new radiator in that is $2700.00 for just the hoses. Not to mention the $300 oil change,
$100 warranty co-pay, $195 inspection fee.

The trunk keeps falling on me when I open it, and that is not covered either.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
Did you click on Cooling System in the link I gave in my first reply?

It shows the radiator is covered on all three plans.

Platinum Coverage, Gold Coverage, Powertrain Plus Coverage.

Ps. Did you buy the BMW Extended Vehicle Protection plan or some third party plan?
I bought a third party plan,
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, Ca.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 927
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Re: 2007 BMW 328i Extended Gold Warranty Coverage?

That doesn't sound like an extended warranty at all. Was the car falling apart when you bought it? Did you buy the car from BMW or just the exclusion filled extended warranty?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM
surfcity335i surfcity335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntington Beach
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 374
Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlbunny View Post
I bought a third party plan, come to find out. I bought it at the BMW dealership, so I assumed it was a BMW Gold Warranty, a little bit confusing. It is a Gold Warranty just not a BMW Gold Warranty.

It gets worse.... my turn signals are not working, and they told me that I need a new light housing which cost $2600

If I have them do the radiator it is $1400.00, if I want the hoses changed when I put the new radiator in that is $2700.00 for just the hoses. Not to mention the $300 oil change,
$100 warranty co-pay, $195 inspection fee.

The trunk keeps falling on me when I open it, and that is not covered either.








I bought a third party plan,
Trade it in.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 PM
git_yo_own git_yo_own is offline
Registered User
Location: Califormia
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
Trade it in.
Good advice to consider, based on what the OP has told us.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 PM
git_yo_own git_yo_own is offline
Registered User
Location: Califormia
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 56
Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by git_yo_own View Post
Good advice to consider, based on what the OP has told us.
Sorry I accidentally posted before finishing my thoughts. The OP might want to consider getting a second opinion from an Indy mechanic specializing in bmw's. GL!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
.


nulled



.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-04-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlbunny View Post
I bought a third party plan, come to find out. I bought it at the BMW dealership, so I assumed it was a BMW Gold Warranty, a little bit confusing. It is a Gold Warranty just not a BMW Gold Warranty.

It gets worse.... my turn signals are not working, and they told me that I need a new light housing which cost $2600

If I have them do the radiator it is $1400.00, if I want the hoses changed when I put the new radiator in that is $2700.00 for just the hoses. Not to mention the $300 oil change,
$100 warranty co-pay, $195 inspection fee.

The trunk keeps falling on me when I open it, and that is not covered either.

I bought a third party plan,

TROLL!

$1400 for a radiator...$2700 add'l for hoses....more....

Let's review. Girlbunny, your opening was not too strong and not too weak - you established yourself as a friendly female possibly being taken advantage of. Strong BimmerFest men gathered to consult and recommend a course of action for this inexperienced, possibly single, soul from California.

But the fire died when you over-amped. Why reveal yourself with outrageous claims?

You had a perfectly good thing going, and you just crushed it. Ground it out with the heel of your shoe.

And that bit about a $2600 light housing because your turn signal didn't work. Where's the finesse? If you'd said your auto-leveling headlights malfunctioned, you'd have scored arousal. But a blinking turn signal?

Girlbunny, you have talent, but need experience. That is my critique - what you make of it is entirely up to you. Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 PM
sptt144 sptt144 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, Ca.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 927
Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Re: 2007 BMW 328i Extended Gold Warranty Coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
TROLL!

$1400 for a radiator...$2700 add'l for hoses....more....

Let's review. Girlbunny, your opening was not too strong and not too weak - you established yourself as a friendly female possibly being taken advantage of. Strong BimmerFest men gathered to consult and recommend a course of action for this inexperienced, possibly single, soul from California.

But the fire died when you over-amped. Why reveal yourself with outrageous claims?

You had a perfectly good thing going, and you just crushed it. Ground it out with the heel of your shoe.

And that bit about a $2600 light housing because your turn signal didn't work. Where's the finesse? If you'd said your auto-leveling headlights malfunctioned, you'd have scored arousal. But a blinking turn signal?

Girlbunny, you have talent, but need experience. That is my critique - what you make of it is entirely up to you. Luck!
What was that all about...???

Sent from my SCH-I405 using BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Girlbunny Girlbunny is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
TROLL!

$1400 for a radiator...$2700 add'l for hoses....more....

Let's review. Girlbunny, your opening was not too strong and not too weak - you established yourself as a friendly female possibly being taken advantage of. Strong BimmerFest men gathered to consult and recommend a course of action for this inexperienced, possibly single, soul from California.

But the fire died when you over-amped. Why reveal yourself with outrageous claims?

You had a perfectly good thing going, and you just crushed it. Ground it out with the heel of your shoe.

And that bit about a $2600 light housing because your turn signal didn't work. Where's the finesse? If you'd said your auto-leveling headlights malfunctioned, you'd have scored arousal. But a blinking turn signal?

Girlbunny, you have talent, but need experience. That is my critique - what you make of it is entirely up to you. Luck!
CALWATERBOY;
I came here for knowledge about other's experience with BMW dealerships and warranties.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37 AM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,009
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlbunny View Post
CALWATERBOY;
I came here for knowledge about other's experience with BMW dealerships and warranties.

Well, ya never know. That $2700 charge to change hoses was over the top....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Girlbunny Girlbunny is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
That doesn't sound like an extended warranty at all. Was the car falling apart when you bought it? Did you buy the car from BMW or just the exclusion filled extended warranty?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using BimmerApp mobile app
The car was fine when I bought it, but had 70,000 miles on it, and it was a non BMW car lot. I did buy the extended warranty from a BMW dealership where I have my car serviced. CAREFREE CAR PROTECTION mechanical failure service contract is the one I bought.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 AM
Girlbunny Girlbunny is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well, ya never know. That $2700 charge to change hoses was over the top....
Yes it is way too expensive, so I think I will change it out myself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms