Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
Paint new rotors?

My '08 E93 will be new brake pad/rotor bound in the next few months. The original rotor hats (visible through the wheels) sure look crappy with rust marks. I bought new BMW rotors. Am I asking for trouble painting them with high temperature silver paint? I am just trying to avoid a repeat of the rust but will the paint peel or burn off? I am in Texas so road salt or freezing temperatures are not an issue. It does get hot as H E Double Hockey Sticks though. Y'all say what?
Mikey
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Mike, i also live in Texas. I bought a slightly used (6,000 miles) from Pennsylvania. The inner hats were very rusty. I thought it looked very crappy. I pulled the wheels and used some rust eater and steel wool. I used silver rustoleum. I have driven for 22,000 since and the paint isn't burning. I do tire rotations and sometimes touch up the paint though. I don't know how much they will rust here versus a rust belt state. I would do the same thing with your new rotors. The keepers on the brake pads were also rusty. I applied same paint with a small brush there too. Before haters start, I painted the keepers to blend in with everything else around there that is either gray or silver. With the rust on them prior, they definately stood out. Enjoy the new brakes.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
Instead of high temp silver paint consider using cold galvanizing compound. It's used by the US Navy and it very effective on rotors and brake calipers to stop rust. It's also easily removed by the pads should you get a little on the rotor surfaces.

Zinc on steel is the better way to keep it from corroding, in my experience.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I painted mine too, no issue, I also took the calipers off, used a sanding disc on a 4 inch grinder and ground all the casting flashing on the calipers off, smoothed them out and painted them silver too

the calipers are Aluminum so it was an easy job, Even aluminum will oxidize over time