Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Unsuccessful glovebox removal = 10 free movie passes?!

I decided to finally see if I could remove the glove compartment to see if I could see what this battery cable terminal at the fusebox might look like, as I am currently avoiding the dealership recall because of my current fear of dealership service.

I've removed every Torx screw I could find except for two that are located right next to where the latch would go (I don't think these are important to my goal right now?), as well as the plastic pin that holds in the plastic arm right next to where the little flashlight goes. The glovebox is "loosened up", but not really coming out, does anyone know what I'm supposed to do? Is there some other trim piece that must come out first, and how do I do it? The screws and piece so far removed.

My Bentley really isn't so helpful. At the section of JBE removal, for the glovebox is simply says to remove it (no other details), along with right side dashboard trim. Is the trim piece in this photo what they are talking about? I highly doubt it, it doesn't seem to help at all, I think this one here is purely cosmetic so to speak.

If I look from underneath, I can see the two clips that are supposed to be undone after disconnecting the negative at the battery, according to Bentley. (Does everyone agree that all of this needs to be done to get the view that I desire?)

The bigger pic for the heck of it.

And this is kind of crazy, but you know that little rectangular plastic trim piece at the back of the inside of the glovebox that pops out for access to fuses? Well this is the first time I've every bothered to look here believe it or not. I found 10 movie passes that says no expiration on the back of them!! I am trying really hard to remember if anyone every gave me these, and that I just forgot, decided to throw them in there, and somehow magically they got behind this trim piece, but I don't think that's possible. How crazy? The passes were bundled together with the BMW battery log form!?

Ads by Google
Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
With the cost of movie tix today, this could serve as a new car purchase incentive program. $1,000 cash back....OR, 0% interest and ten free movie tickets. Hmmmmmm....

Oh, and sorry. I know nothing about glove box removal. After paying for five people to get into a non-matinee 3D movie today, that part of your story held appeal to me.

Maybe these will help?

Old 11-03-2013, 12:46 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Knight View Post
Maybe these will help?
Thanks, they sure did. I'm going to follow up on this, I found the glove compartment portion in the Bentley after your help, thanks. I really am not so bright sometimes, but I guess knowing that is half the battle?

A few friends/family want me to take them to Gravity in 3D tomorrow. I was thinking it would be more fun to just use them all at once, get a big group of 10, dinner beforehand. I think there is a $1.50 charge or something to upgrade to the more extravagant stuff, I hope this would include 3D (which I so haven't care for, but I've heard that it's been quite improved upon with Gravity).

You should have seen the laughter at the conclusion of my long winded story of how I got these tix. I'd invite you along if you were here.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Wow that's the first time I've ever seen that log form. Dealers are suppose to test and log the results of the battery at every visit and record it on a sheet like that. No one ever does this...

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Man you must really hate going to the dealer. It was an esay 45 min to 1 hr fix for me. You should find a new dealer you can trust and have them take care of it. N4S
Old 11-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
I thought I had a chance to score some movie passes when I read the title! How misleading! And you have the audacity to complain about dealerships?
I see you've been well informed by others so no need for me to add my two cents, except to say don't forget where all the screws go.
Which reminds me, we have a saying in the biz; If you have a few screws left over, they shouldn't have been in there in the first place.
Leaving a 3/4" trim screw out is no big deal. Leave a 50mm 10X1.50 bolt out and soon enough you will find out where it should have been.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:52 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I thought I had a chance to score some movie passes when I read the title! How misleading!
I was a little afraid of this. If it makes you feel better, I would take you along too!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
That glovebox panel is NOTORIOUS for causing the most incessant rattle, felt the hell out of it while you have it out ... enjoy the movies!

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 11-03-2013, 07:53 PM
wooohooo

Okay I finally went back at it again, and that little plastic trim, four screws, two cupholders out in a few minutes, and the glovebox pops right out, thanks again. I disconnected the battery, unclipped two connectors, slid that black box out, but the fusebox has me miffed. I got the two right Torx screws out (not without uncomfortable effort), dropped one, and my magnetic-claw tool can't retrieve it, if I hear a screw rattling around while driving, I'll be annoyed, so I'll leave a note to self to drive around again before buttoning her all up.

I THINK there are similar Torx screws on the left side of the fusebox, but how the heck do I access it with this thing in the way? Do I undo any of this stuff too? This is my only real question now. Besides the first pic, all of the rest of the photos are just to share for anyone's entertainment.

You can't see them in this pic, but I did get the right side screws out as mentioned.

The magnetic/claw tool DID get my socket out from the side of the battery, whew. I was fiddling with the different ones to see which one fit. It reminded me I had the magnetizer after bear let me know about them. I used it before hitting up the JBE, but it still wasn't quite strong enough to stop me from dropping one, but it certainly does magnetize my tool.

In case you've like me and never have seen what the cup holders look like, these are now retracted. Two screws each, that's it, slide right out.

A pic towards the view of the radio head unit.

And the view to above the JBE.

Oh kurgan, thanks for the heads up. I have zero rattles there right now (could change after I'm done with it though!), and not that I've studied how everything mates, but do you have any advice or suggestions on where to focus, and/or any particular brand of felt tape you might recommend?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Oh kurgan, thanks for the heads up. I have zero rattles there right now (could change after I'm done with it though!), and not that I've studied how everything mates, but do you have any advice or suggestions on where to focus, and/or any particular brand of felt tape you might recommend?
I use this product in varying thicknesses.

http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-FELT-06-P...ords=felt+roll

I usually felt near those steal cross bars, or even use some damplifier pro on the ones that sound "tinny". The radio/HVAC modules eventually rattle between each other, the panel between the cup holders, needs felt underneath it. Anything you can "tap" and hear plastic on plastic, needs some insulation. None of it is visible. The creaky seat controls plastic needs lots of felt, but must remove the seat to do so, and the seat rail bolts are a one-time use, 16mm I believe.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 AM
wooohooo

Thanks kurgan, that sounds pretty serious! I wish you had experience removing JBE too, shucks. I added the cheapest 1" wide (x 75') tape to my cart. Another one of my endless dumb questions, but is there anything in there that should NOT be covered/insulated? I mean outside of something clearly electronic such as the JBE... Basically go nuts wherever I can?

That Damplifier Pro is not cheap. Do you think 1 sq ft suffices?
http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier-pro/
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Thanks kurgan, that sounds pretty serious! I wish you had experience removing JBE too, shucks. I added the cheapest 1" wide (x 75') tape to my cart. Another one of my endless dumb questions, but is there anything in there that should NOT be covered/insulated? I mean outside of something clearly electronic such as the JBE... Basically go nuts wherever I can?

That Damplifier Pro is not cheap. Do you think 1 sq ft suffices?
http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier-pro/
1 sq foot is plenty, I ended up doing my front doors, and needed more, but under the dash, anything steal, that sounded tinny, I applied single strips and the tinny became "thuddy" if that makes sense. I used strips on the a-pillars too, they are a major source of resonance.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM
wooohooo

I picked up a 5' roll of felt tape, and stopped by Best Buy, but their Dynamat Extreme comes in 12 sq ft, about $140. Maybe I'll make a couple of phone calls to see if I can pick some up nearby in smaller quantity. I read that Damplifier is better/thicker, but I'll take either at this point I think. That said, I just now got to get back in there today, tapped around, and it really is not so bad IMO. The very last pic, the felted metal bar running horizontal, the vertical piece attached to it on the left could use a little, but I don't think even this one is all that bad (but what do I know). I will figure out what part of the circumference of the glovebox will get the felt tape, it does seem to be more "flimsy" than most of the other plastic I checked out, as you were alluding to.

On to my fusebox predicament, I finally found an E90post thread with only one response about how access to the last Torx screw is blocked by the AC blower, where removing this might mean so much of the dash comes apart, and the single response was to use a "really small ratchet". So I was trying to get a peek, and I have absolutely no idea what shape of tool would work.

The mini ratchets I am finding online with ratcheting at small increments (I saw a video claiming 12 degrees), I don't think the head is deep enough... oh wait a sec... okay so a mini ratchet connected to the proper extension? Ahhhh maybe thinking out loud on forums DOES solve problems?

Okay, I will stop in a big box store tomorrow on the hunt for mini ratchets.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 AM
wooohooo

Okay I finally went at it again tonight, as I've had other things on my plate during the meanwhile. I thought I had the right tools as of yesterday, but didn't even check them out until tonight, and had to go back to the store to try other things. I know everything is hardest the first time, but that JBE connector lock had me miffed for the longest time. But the worst was the upper left Torx screw for the fusebox, that just took forever, I think I must have been ratcheting a lot without having the bit seated. I started taking the bit off, seating it by hand (I should really say a couple of fingers in an awkward position), then trying my awkward best to connect the ratchet while the bit was seated. Anyway... I am tantalizingly close, the fusebox is loose, but it won't pull out, I imagine it must be bundled up wiring without enough slack, correct?? Is there some ziptie(s) I'm supposed to cut, then tie back down again? I know they're just zip ties, but I thought I better check in again, we got a noob in sensitive place here.

This is what I mean by tantalizingly close. Almost have the view!

It's loose, just extremely little give.

This is the smallest ratchet I could find. Glad I finally found a 1/4" drive bit of the right length. (I had T20 as hex bit, couldn't find adapters, and also bought the smallest extension I could find but it wasn't even close to the right piece.) Anyway, this thing is kind of cute, it's about the size of a finger. That fuse next to it was removed to get better access to the PITA Torx, but gee that plug that goes into the upper left of the box was a real PITA for me too.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:08 PM
wooohooo

Okay I got better access finally. However, not nearly as comfortable as this looks, I'm stretching inward with the camera. I felt like I was about to break a fingernail trying to figure out how to open the black latch, I assume I'm supposed to, right? To get a better look at the connection?

Can anyone advise me on which way it opens, or any other tips? I miss driving my car, I won't be able to touch this again today, I'm tempted to wrap it all up tomorrow even if I don't get a good look. I'm trying to be patient for the moment. edit: Oh, it's time to go watch Thor in 2D in a few moments! lol. And then we will cook Branzinos over wood coals in a pit, and enjoy some other goodies too. A few people had to cancel as they couldn't find available childcare, so there will be probably be another viewing shortly.

Thanks.

edit 2: Now that I'm studying this, should I perhaps squeeze in the left tab with a screwdriver, then flip up with fingernail? Will be much harder to access with the little room I have than the photo might suggest, maybe double fingernail action?

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 11-09-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Okay I got better access finally. However, not nearly as comfortable as this looks, I'm stretching inward with the camera. I felt like I was about to break a fingernail trying to figure out how to open the black latch, I assume I'm supposed to, right? To get a better look at the connection?

Can anyone advise me on which way it opens, or any other tips? I miss driving my car, I won't be able to touch this again today, I'm tempted to wrap it all up tomorrow even if I don't get a good look. I'm trying to be patient for the moment. edit: Oh, it's time to go watch Thor in 2D in a few moments! lol. And then we will cook Branzinos over wood coals in a pit, and enjoy some other goodies too. A few people had to cancel as they couldn't find available childcare, so there will be probably be another viewing shortly.

Thanks.

edit 2: Now that I'm studying this, should I perhaps squeeze in the left tab with a screwdriver, then flip up with fingernail? Will be much harder to access with the little room I have than the photo might suggest, maybe double fingernail action?
I think you may be correct with a screwdriver, but perhaps a plastic door panel remove would be safer, or a wooden tongue depressor?

BTW, where did you find Branzino in Cali? The closest I find is the Chilean wannabe?

Last edited by thekurgan; 11-09-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:20 AM
wooohooo

Ah, thanks for the tip. I didn't think to use my trim remover set, I'll see if the narrowest one might work.

I "dry fitted" the glove compartment, trying to see where I should perhaps put the foam tape, but I'm probably going to pass for now, I will take it back out again if it does develop rattles. I will pay closer attention to how the plastic portions specifically mate, and how little space there might be for foam tape to even fit (mine does seem pretty thick, but maybe it compresses more than I'm thinking).

For the Branzinos, they are found at Whole Foods, but now you have me curious, I'm going to see if they can tell me exactly where they are from next time I am there, and if the fishmonger isn't too busy. I'll say it tasted really good. I do not typically get excited about WF fish, but these in particular often look quite good, they're sold whole, and the eyes look pretty clear.

The best fish store is thankfully just far away enough where I don't spend all my money, haha.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 AM
wooohooo

Pics for Kurgan.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Ah, thanks for the tip. I didn't think to use my trim remover set, I'll see if the narrowest one might work.

I "dry fitted" the glove compartment, trying to see where I should perhaps put the foam tape, but I'm probably going to pass for now, I will take it back out again if it does develop rattles. I will pay closer attention to how the plastic portions specifically mate, and how little space there might be for foam tape to even fit (mine does seem pretty thick, but maybe it compresses more than I'm thinking).

For the Branzinos, they are found at Whole Foods, but now you have me curious, I'm going to see if they can tell me exactly where they are from next time I am there, and if the fishmonger isn't too busy. I'll say it tasted really good. I do not typically get excited about WF fish, but these in particular often look quite good, they're sold whole, and the eyes look pretty clear.

The best fish store is thankfully just far away enough where I don't spend all my money, haha.
I've only had real branzino in sicily; these may be North American black bass, very good, now I must acquire some.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 PM
wooohooo

Welp, I finally gave up, and put her all back together again. I tried trim tool, screwdriver, fingernails, I could feel it "give", but was never sure it was all the way, and from the pics from before, I'm not certain which way it's supposed to open, though I suppose "lengthwise" would be the best guess. The only screw missing of more than I can count was the one that fell off to the right from before, and I never really thought about opening that lower right trim, just drove around the nearest windy hilly roads to me, and couldn't hear any screw rattling. It was the lower-right T20 for the fusebox, but instead of leaving this particular one empty, I instead left the major PITA upper left one empty, lol.

It was a good if small learning experience, glad I was up for trying it at least. Some tools that were used a LOT were the magnetizer, the LED work lamp that I originally got for detailing, but it was really key here, and as LED instead of halogen, it didn't burn up my face as I was using it. The magnetic-claw for getting screws out of small cracks was useful on numerous occasions.

I always thought that taking things apart was easy, and putting it all back together would be more difficult, but this experiment was the opposite in a more extreme sense for me.

Also, I couldn't help but wonder a little bit about how we there are SO MANY variations of "drive" and "bit". Okay, so maybe a Phillips #2 was invented way before Torx (or maybe it wasn't), but still I am having to use both, fiddling around. Then - I have a hex drive ratcheting driver, but a 1/4" drive small ratchet. I'm glad there weren't 3/8" or 1/2" involved. I can understand 1/2" or greater for higher torques, but do we really need both 3/8" and 1/4"? Anyway, it seemed I was always playing around with adapters and bits. I was using no less than 3 different T20 bits (long bit for 1/4" drive ratchet, hex on the driver, and simply the T20 unitasker fixed driver). /rant

I had read somewhere that when I fire the car up again, that I could have a couple of warning lights pop up that would disappear after some time. But the only thing I had to do was reset the clock and warning was already gone, all clear. I think* the instrument cluster panel illumination setting may have gone to 4(?), because I swore I thought it used to be at 2, which I put it back to, but who knows with my memory. The travel odo was reset. That's all I noticed, but it wasn't like I was flipping through everything either. I'm glad that's all it was for all the tinkering over so much time. The below pic is where I finally gave up, as you can see I did coax more slack out of all the connected wiring, I realize maybe I should have unplugged every damn plug to get better access at the battery cable, but I thought I can revisit this easily enough another day if my understanding improves.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 11-11-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I've only had real branzino in sicily; these may be North American black bass, very good, now I must acquire some.
Hey I was just back again, and apparently it's the real deal, farmed and flown from Greece, once it hits the dock it is shipped immediately to the store. I didn't think to ask for more info on your behalf, but if there is anything you're curious about, name of distributor, etc, I can ask and PM you at a later time. I am also an acquaintance / friend of the GM there for an extremely long time now, and though I run into him very rarely I can ask him directly if needed. (He still owes me some of his blackberry preserves, as I left him a bit of homebrew and brandied cherries, we had a deal, he better pay up!)
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
LOL, I just got the battery terminal/fusebox recall done on Tuesday. Took them an hour and a quarter. The tech who did the job may have had a little more experience than you.

While he worked on it I enjoyed a healthy snack bar, a banana, a cup of Keurig brewed coffee, and The Wall Street Journal.

Best of all, they paid attention to my Do Not Wash and Do Not Vacuum signs, and returned the car without a smudge on it.

Maybe you should give the dealer a shot at it...
Old 11-16-2013, 07:44 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Hey I was just back again, and apparently it's the real deal, farmed and flown from Greece, once it hits the dock it is shipped immediately to the store. I didn't think to ask for more info on your behalf, but if there is anything you're curious about, name of distributor, etc, I can ask and PM you at a later time. I am also an acquaintance / friend of the GM there for an extremely long time now, and though I run into him very rarely I can ask him directly if needed. (He still owes me some of his blackberry preserves, as I left him a bit of homebrew and brandied cherries, we had a deal, he better pay up!)
I have to find some, most of what we get here is the black bass, no bueno.