Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-03-2013, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: E93 3251 convertible
Ticking nose when started from cold??

Hi all. When I started my 2008 325i this morning it was making a ticking nose in the engine bay. It also sounding a bit like a diesel car. Any ideas as I haven't had a BMW before so worried ?? Any help would be good

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3

Sounds like lifters, it's a very common issue with the N52/N52k engine

Old 11-03-2013, 04:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spionkop18 View Post
Hi all. When I started my 2008 325i this morning it was making a ticking nose in the engine bay. It also sounding a bit like a diesel car. Any ideas as I haven't had a BMW before so worried ?? Any help would be good

THIS SITE has a distillation of the problem.....
Old 11-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
This is caused by "insufficient air-free oil reaching the hydraulic valve adjusters". Basically it is caused by short journeys. There is a "bleeding" procedure that BMW came up with if you can't put up with the noise.

It isn't a problem and doesn't cause damage to the engine, even if it is annoying. It appears usually after 50k miles has been covered.

Reports suggest the problem is cured by replacing some parts, but others that this doesn't even solve it.

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: E93 3251 convertible

Ok. I am haveing the car serviced nxt wk is there a oil I can use that would help this prob?. All so noticed a taping noise when pulling off it makes the sort off noise than the car makes when u pull off in a to high a gear but dose it on any gear high or low. ?

Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
Stick with what BMW recommends for oil. If anything, the recommended Castrol oil which is relatively thin, 5W-30, would be better anyway because it would more easily spray around at lower oil pump pressure. I can't imagine the noise you mean, not sure how the noise of an engine straining is a tapping noise.

How many miles on the car?

P.S. What football team do you support? I noticed your name Spion Kop...

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Old 11-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The only way to permanently get rid of the ticking is to replace the engine head with the updated part number or drive for longer distances.

The new head incorporates a check valve to maintain oil pressure when then engine is off. This prevents the lifters from ticking on start up.

If you drive longer distances, the engine will return to normal.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |