Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport Xdrive
Latest C&D Comparison Test places LCI 535 Last....

I just got my December edition of Car & Driver which has a 4 way comparison test with following cars in finishing order:

4. BMW 535i Xdrive
3. MB E350
2. Cadillac CTS 3.6
1. Audi A6 3.0T

Not a good showing for the bimmer, their main complaint was with the steering, handling, ride and general weight of the car (heaviest in test).

However performance was best in test, with a 0-60 of 5.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 13.9 @100. Road-holding was second best at .86g, but slalom speed was slowest at 40.1 mph.

I am scratching my head at how it even came behind the MB in their overall rankings. Also it was a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, the Audi and BMW were AWD but the CTS and MB were RWD.

I could not find the article online yet on their website...

Current:
2014 BMW 535i Xdrive Msport Dark Graphite/Mocha Nappa
Tinted Side/Rear Reflectors|Black Chrome Emblems|M Rear Spoiler|Rear Sunshade| Carbon Fiber Fender Trim | LCI M5 Grilles | M Performance Exhaust Tips
2010 Volkswagen CC 2.0T DSG Island Gray/Black
Retired:
2011 BMW 535i Xdrive DSB/Venetian Beige

Last edited by kaysid; 11-03-2013 at 06:05 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Here is my review:

I like the exterior and interior style of the F10. The car has more than adequate performance for my needs (535). I drove an E class and it felt less sporty and I didn't car for the interior. Cadillac has an odd exterior and interior look (to me) and as much as all of these cars have mechanical problems, I'll stay away from GM, thanks. I like the Audi but have never felt their quality (especially electrical) to be particularly good.

The critics have panned the F10 for all of the same reasons as C & D but this series has been the best selling 5 to date. I guess BMW has done their homework identifying who their market is and what that market wants. I had a 1999 540 that definitely had a sportier drive. Guess what? The current 3 series is almost the same size as that car. If I wanted that kind of handling, I'd have gotten a 3. As to the steering, I'm getting an X Drive, so I get to keep the less fuel efficient, but (reportedly) better feeling hydraulic steering.

Thanks for the reference to the article.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I wonder what BMW does to give the hydraulic power steering of the AWD F-10 the vagueness and turn-in lag that the RWD's electric steering is widely criticized for?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
Here is my review:

I like the exterior and interior style of the F10. The car has more than adequate performance for my needs (535). I drove an E class and it felt less sporty and I didn't car for the interior. Cadillac has an odd exterior and interior look (to me) and as much as all of these cars have mechanical problems, I'll stay away from GM, thanks. I like the Audi but have never felt their quality (especially electrical) to be particularly good.

The critics have panned the F10 for all of the same reasons as C & D but this series has been the best selling 5 to date. I guess BMW has done their homework identifying who their market is and what that market wants. I had a 1999 540 that definitely had a sportier drive. Guess what? The current 3 series is almost the same size as that car. If I wanted that kind of handling, I'd have gotten a 3. As to the steering, I'm getting an X Drive, so I get to keep the less fuel efficient, but (reportedly) better feeling hydraulic steering.

Thanks for the reference to the article.
Excellent review.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
C&D is a joke.

The E was never better than even the worse F10 so I can't see this review having any credibility at all. RWD and AWD is apples to oranges comparison. I guess Bmw stopped the paychecks for C&D?

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 535i xdrive
Can you take a pic and post the article? I do not see it on their website.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
There's no way it fell behind the Benz or Cadillac. I sat in a new e350 yesterday and there's no way I'd spend over $38k for that car.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: German
The F10 has always been reviewed poorly. Remember that it lost to the old Audi A6 right after it came out, but I will call BS on this article.

There is no way in hell that it ranks BELOW the E Class. Hell no. Mercedes ****ed up the LCI so bad. It is hideous and the car still drives poorly for the price.

Can you scan the article by any chance? I'm curious about the Cadillac. Cadillac loves boasting about being a German-killer, but without the VSport trim, it is a mediocre car, at best.

My subjective rankings

1. Audi
2. BMW
3. Lexus (time to get rid of the 3.5 V6 Lexus!)
4. Caddy
5. Mercedes

Truth is, if it was my money, I would have a hard time between the A6 3.0TDI and 535xd. I love the look of the new luxury line. It's basically a coin-flip between the two for me. Lexus, Cadillac, and Mercedes, while respectable cars, won't even be considered by me.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 11-03-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 AM

I test drove the E-350 on four separate occasions over a couple of months earlier this year. One of the test drives I was given the keys and took it out for an extended trip with no MB sales guy supervision. Let's just say that my 45 minute last trip was quite spirited.

Couch on friggin' wheels gentlemen. I would put the MB in Sports Mode and there was no change- there's no sport in the E-350. Pure luxury. There's minimal feedback from the steering, the car doesn't feel the road well, it doesn't corner tightly.

Unlike some here I do like the way it looks. I do think that the car is well made and the interior is quite rich looking in my opinion.

I do think that people buy a Mercedes to impress their neighbors. People buy a BMW to impress themselves.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
I do think that people buy a Mercedes to impress their neighbors. People buy a BMW to impress themselves.
While I agree that Mercedes has higher brand prestige (can't beat the star), BMW and Audi aren't "inferior." People still buy BMWs to impress other people also. Just look at all the lease-spec 320i F30 drivers
Old 11-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
While I agree that Mercedes has higher brand prestige (can't beat the star), BMW and Audi aren't "inferior." People still buy BMWs to impress other people also. Just look at all the lease-spec 320i F30 drivers
True.

I think I came up with a good tag line for us BMW owners. We know what The Ultimate Driving Machine means.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i MSport Xdrive
Images taken down..

Current:
2014 BMW 535i Xdrive Msport Dark Graphite/Mocha Nappa
Tinted Side/Rear Reflectors|Black Chrome Emblems|M Rear Spoiler|Rear Sunshade| Carbon Fiber Fender Trim | LCI M5 Grilles | M Performance Exhaust Tips
2010 Volkswagen CC 2.0T DSG Island Gray/Black
Retired:
2011 BMW 535i Xdrive DSB/Venetian Beige

Last edited by kaysid; 11-04-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
I suppose they were test driving the 4x4 edition since the xi doesnt have MSport suspension option. I wish for once they would test a 550 with 704 suspension against competitors
2013 550i M-Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|2ND (powder coated)|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD|416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Rear Spoiler|CF Mirror Caps|CF Splitter|M Performance Diffuser| Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Font Lights|Euro Side Mirror Glass|Coded
BMW CCA member
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xdrive
Thanks for posting, can you tell whether they used the "sport" e350 for the test? you can tell that by looking at the front if it has the star ornament on the hood OR a big start in the grille.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535i 6MT & '89 535iA
While I prefer my BMW, I have also driven the new E350 and actually quite liked it. I'm a fan of the teutonic interior and think the refresh was a big step up with interior trims (not so sure about the exterior though it does look better in person than pictures). The handling is not as sporty but I would not malign it - I would describe the handling as very solid and secure in a way that is superior to most other cars but not as sporty at BMWs (especially my m-sport 2013 which, while heavy, still loves to corner).
Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
C&D is a joke.

The E was never better than even the worse F10 so I can't see this review having any credibility at all. RWD and AWD is apples to oranges comparison. I guess Bmw stopped the paychecks for C&D?

Alan
+1 - the E350 is a dog.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysid View Post
Here are some images for now I will take these down in a while.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
People still buy BMWs to impress other people also. Just look at all the lease-spec 320i F30 drivers
Have you driven one? There's plenty in the 320i to impress its owner.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Let me get this right, the 535i lost to the E350 becuase the E350 has a more comfortable ride, while the A6 and the CTS beat the E350 becuase it was more sporty, yet the 535i did very well in all the performance catagories, does that make sense to anybody? The C&D ranking system is all over the place, if they were looking for a overall comfortable sedan that performs well, the ranking should have been A6 tie with 535i and then follow by the CTS and E350. What C&D over look in this comparo is the quality of material and workmanship, the intangible feeling when you get into a F10 and the tank like feel that the A6 and the CTS lacks.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535i MSport
C&D is a joke! I totally agree that the BMW checks have stopped coming. I think they are so tired of hearing about their affinity for BMW (especially the 3 series) that they are taking it out on the 5 as a way to look unbiased. They did the A6 comparo orginally against the 2011 535i, which having owned one, I thought was quite lacking myself especially the steering and suspension. Once I picked up my 2014 LCI however I could not wait for the comparo to be re-done.

I have not driven a 2014 A6 (but have a 2013) but frankly can't imagine that the car would outperform the LCI with the improvements that were made. Also are you kidding with all of the raving about the A6 interior, the 5 series is head and shoulders above the A6 especially after BMW brought back the adjustable side bolsters. I am absolutely loving my LCI and also love the fact that BMW is the only luxury performance sedan maker that still offers a manual transmission which I am praying continues to last. Granted the Bimmer could get a little pricey but that's simply because they have a real design department on their payroll which by the way makes this car the most beautiful sedan on the road today, bar none. Audi looks like they started with a block and didn't get much further, MB looks like a more wedge shaped Ford, and Cadillac is just awful inside and out

Interesting that they picked an xi and not the i since one of the big improvements from 2011 has been the electric steering and the suspension (not sure if any improvements were made to the hydraulic steering in the xi)

2014 Azurite Black Metallic 535i MT MSport, Ivory Nappa, 19" iForged Seneka wheels on +1 Michelin PS2s (255/285)
2011 535i Sport
2001 530i Sport
Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
What's wrong with "lease spec 320i drivers?" Maybe that's all they really wanted. Be thankful anyone buys any BMW of any model instead of another boring econobox with rear drum brakes.

...agreeing with Xmen, I'm pretty sure C&D chose an xi was because the A6 was their target baseline and the other two cars were just toss ins. It's a much more valid comparison if they posed A6 vs 535 and the E350 vs CTS and looked at them that way. Either way, I think it's great that Cadillac is even getting a place in these comparisons and I hope they do well and continue to improve.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I think it's great that Cadillac is even getting a place in these comparisons and I hope they do well and continue to improve.
I had the same mind set last year when I was shopping for my car. I figured Cadillac must be doing something right if all these auto megazines are ranking it so high, so I added the CTS to my shopping list. To make a long story short, lets just say my Cadillac shopping experience was a big downer. The saleman did not know much about the car, I mean even less than they normally do. I had a question about how to activate voice command, it took about half an hour for a sales manager to answer the question. Needless to say, I did not bother to ask any more questions. The test drive itself was underwhelming, the car did handle pretty good, but the powertrain was lacking. The interior material was a grade below BMW's and the ergonomics was horrible. I do realized that the CTS is about $15000 leas than the 535i, but in the C&D test, price was not a factor and in my opinion, the 535i is much better over all sedan than the CTS and if pirce is not a factor, there is no doubt I would buy the F10 over the CTS.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Going through some of the rankings, the BMW has been given short shrift.

Rear seat comfort - sorry, the BMW is not lower than the A6, and two points lower than the E. I've test driven and sat in the back of all three. At 6'2", I'd say the BMW and Audi are tied with a 4, and the Merc gets a 5.

Fit and finish. Excuse me, the BMW Ties with the Caddy for last and loses to the A6? Reviewers need to stop blowing Audi for their interiors. The BMW is leagues better than the Audi and Merc, especially the chintzy merc (ever turned the HVAC dials, same ones they've been using for 10 years now)? Etc. And while the Audi is good, the vinyl seat backs, cheap arm rests, etc., let it down.

Interior styling - the Merc wins? Ugh, don't even get me started. From the ridiculous column shifter, to the outdated and small COMAND, to the rectilinear dash, to the floating needle speedo which is passe by now, I mean, come on, get real. The BMW and Audi win here, and the Merc trails big time. The Caddy's standard gauges are AWFUL.

Exterior styling - The Audi is bland (is it an A4, A6, A8, A3????) and the Caddy is polarizing (my wife looked at the grille and said 'blech' and looked at the tail and said 'grandpa car'). The BMW wins here again.

Powertrain flexibility - How the N/A Caddy with the 6 speed auto, and the N/A Benz can tie here is a joke. Audi wins this one, followed by BMW, Caddy and Merc trail.

Performance - not sure on this one.

Steering feel - agree, unfortunately the Audi, BMW and Merc are pretty dull and lifeless.

Handling - shame that again they have a base suspension car, as it is fairly floaty. Comparing it to Audi with sport pack is unfair. With the 704, it would have tied the Audi. They seem to like the Caddy, and the Merc should be even further down.

Ride - I can't fathom giving the BMW a worse ride than the Benz. Sorry, I've driven both.

Fun to drive worse than the Merc? Seriously, come off it.

While I don't think that would have given points to the BMW to win, certainly it would have beat the Merc and possibly the Caddy too.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: F11 520xdAT -14
I just made the move from a pre-lci F11 520dAT to an lci F11 520xdAT and I can tell you the hydraulic steering on the xDrive is light years better than the old electric steering I had. This feels more like my old E61.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:07 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I had the same mind set last year when I was shopping for my car. I figured Cadillac must be doing something right if all these auto megazines are ranking it so high, so I added the CTS to my shopping list. To make a long story short, lets just say my Cadillac shopping experience was a big downer. The saleman did not know much about the car, I mean even less than they normally do. I had a question about how to activate voice command, it took about half an hour for a sales manager to answer the question. Needless to say, I did not bother to ask any more questions. The test drive itself was underwhelming, the car did handle pretty good, but the powertrain was lacking. The interior material was a grade below BMW's and the ergonomics was horrible. I do realized that the CTS is about $15000 leas than the 535i, but in the C&D test, price was not a factor and in my opinion, the 535i is much better over all sedan than the CTS and if pirce is not a factor, there is no doubt I would buy the F10 over the CTS.
Those sales guys probably work at combo Buick/GMC/Cadillac dealerships where they spend 80% of their time putting people into high margin SUV's and "cars" are an afterthought. There is no doubt the BMW is the vastly superior buying and driving experience - but the lust for cheaper American "grunt" can't be undervalued....however this CTS lacks in even the "grunt" department (unless you go up to a V).
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more