Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
2006 E90 Jerky when you stop fix! DYI Transmission

(Also a DYI for Transmission overhaul for a zf auto hp6/19)

So I have a 2006 E90 325i. with an auto.

The symptom are: When you come to a full stop, it stops but then jerks forward. pretty hard. You can avoid it by coming to a rolling stop and braking and releasing and gradually coming to a stop.... Dont worry this is not the DYI!

The repair is the Following.

Replace the:

Transmission Pan/ Filter
Transmission Pan Bolts (24)
Transmission Fluid 8 or 9 liters (lifeguard6)
Mechatronic Sleeve
Valve Body Seal
Valve Body Solenoids
fill plug

go to thectsc . c o m for parts or to see what you need. The Solenoid are only available from them.... the parts you get drop shipped directly from ZF

Tools needed:
1/4 ratchet, with 8mm to 14 mm sockets
Torxs sockets T40, T27 and T30 (I think thats all)
Transfer Pump
Tons of rags
and card board/ news paper
4 jack stands
8 mm and 10 mm socket
8 mm allen key
oil drain pan catch

Software
INPA - to do the adaptation reset
TIS - Overview of how BMW says how to do it.

Safety/(PPE)

Gloves
Eye protection - goggles that are scuba mask
clothes that will be oily forever
Gojo - afterwards!
And a degreaser to clean up after.

1.) Okay the first step is to Jack the card up on the jack stands. make sure is safe and secure.

2.) Remove the underbody cover, heat shield, and small supports that block a clean view of the transmission pan.

3.) Drain the transmission fluid, be ready fpor it to splash a bit... at the same time remove the fill plug, its torqued on tight, so use a wrench or a rubber mllet to break it loose,removing this part is very difficult.

4.) Once its stopped draining, remove the oil pan bolts (24) leave the 4 corners on for last. Reminder, there is still 1 Liter of fluid in there. discard it (make sure the oil tub still has an o-ring on it, if not remove it from the mechatronic (valve body))

5. locate the electronic connector, - Mechatronic connector, rear right corner, unplug the connector - you can do it with out removig any of the support parts. Pus hit aside back there.

6. Back to the transmission, pull the white tab down from the mechatronic, this releases the mechatronic connector sleeve, pull it out with out twisting (back right outside of transmission) keep itaround for later. not the oreintation tab inside of it.

7.) Remove the 10 larger bolts on the mechatronic valve body. The 10 bolts have large heads and are T40 bolts. a 11mm socket will not fit around them. loosen all first at leave 2 intill the end. warning - Mechatrnic is about 30 pounds, covered in oil, and as you loosen the bolts oil comes out faster. The part is very fragile, and you dont want to scratch any of the mounting surfaces. remove and put aside mechatronic.

8.) Let transmission continue to drain oil, and remove the valve body seal, it just comes out easily. replace now. lube gasket with atf.

9.) remove the plastic part of the mechatronic - 6 bolts you can tell by seeing which 6 bolts go thru the valve body. after the bolts are out push the pins and it will come out. Set aside. Make sure no oil enters the connector. Note sliding guide for shifter valve prior to removing.

10. remove the strip above the solenoids with the torxs screws, this will let you remove the solenoids.

11. Remove and replace the solenoids... pull firmly out to remove, and push to install. note previous orientation, and install the same way.

12. Reinstall solenoid hold down strip and plastic with the 6 thru screws. Take time to use the old mechatronic sleeve and see how it slips into place. Do not lock it in, but feel how it installs. Also make sure sliding tab attached to the mechatronic in its appropriate notch- this is critical, otherwise it will not come out of part.

13. Carefully install the mechatronic into the transmission. Make sure the valve body seel is still in, and didnt fall out. Install the screws that are toward the center of the mecharnic, and slowly install all the screws and torque to spec. make sure the sliding noth is lined up with the notch that is in the transmission, This is critical. Torque bolts to spec.

14. Install the mechatronic sleeve. once you feel that it is in push firmly- very hard and push the white tab up, it should move up easily. attach the connector back to the transmission.

15. Install the oil pan, with the 24, in a cross pattern. Torqued to spec. Verify drain plug is also torqued to spec.

16. Filling procedure. Using the transfer pump, transfer at first 4 to 4.5 liters of oil into the transmission (unitl it leaks out of the fill hole). Start car and while running (in park (no wheels contacting anything!!)) go back in and continue filling toe transmission. If you fill the car up with 8 L of oil or more (till it starts leaking, cap fill hole with new plug and you are done. if it only took about 6 liters, go back into the car and change gears manually 1-6 with foot on brake) and attempt to refill with out it spilling out. Note if you filled it with 8L plus, it will immediately leak out. Cap immediately to prevent loss of fluid.

17. Let car cool, clean around pan and after an hour verify that there are no leaks. After another our attach trim removed, and lower car.

18 . Adaptation Reset - Use INPA to reset adaptation for transmission. Prior to driving. Car may be gerky shifting otherwise.

19 Complete.

If you know the Torque specs please share -

As for Part number's check the website above or realoem. I dont want to be responsible. Solenoids are model year and drivetrain specific, and are actually tied to the ZF transmission part number. Call the seller before buying....

Test Drove the car - and shifts moothly, and no jerking. Feels like a new car. Also I think I cured the shifting issue I was having too....

costly project $700 to $800 in parts, but well worth it. I did it at 200K miles

I never flushed the transmission before - the old fluid was dark brown black. The magnets has fine iron powder which is normal. not more that 1/4 teaspoon total on both. The only way I could tell it was iron was by using another magnet. It was so fine, it could rub into my skin!

Also destroy all used parts. so it doesnt enter the supply chain around you.... hammers work fine.

Cuddos to schpenxel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	405590   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	405591   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	405592   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	405593   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	405594  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 6.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	405595   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 8 (1).jpg
Views:	311
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	405597   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 8 (2).jpg
Views:	466
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	405598   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 49.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	405599  
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

Bravo! Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM

I need to go back an proof read/ grammar check my dyi... Didn't have the time earlier.

The biggest improvement I've seen is with the stopping power. Stops way faster and smoother. I think the torque converter is filling up faster and all. Well worth it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
The jerky feeling you described is cause by NIC, neutral idle control. It disengages the drive train when coming to a stop to save gas and decrease emissions.

You can code it off but people claim gas mileage has decreased.

I've just gotten used to it and left off the brake as I come to a complete stop.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 PM

I thought that too.... But the transmission overhaul I did completely fixed the problem.... I'm getting used to braking normally again... Put 150+ miles and the jerking stops are gone....

I wonder if BMW knows about the problem.... The official fix would be a mechatronic replacement, and the part alone goes for close to $3k. The thing that sucks is that it never thru any codes so pin pointing the issue isn't going to be easy....

Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Thanks for posting.
There something that I can't never do myself.
How much all parts cost you?

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 11-06-2013, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Maybe it's the solenoids that did it. I flushed my trans fluid at 42k miles and had the jerking before and after. I'm currently at 99k miles and am going to flush again at 100k, but also swap the pan out.

Maybe I'll do the solenoids too

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 AM

I think it was the solenoids... Prices as follows. I think the solenoids have a life of about 6 years or 150K miles... They might be rebuild able, but no one does it right now...

Solenoids $465 (all 7)
Filter/pan/gasket $120
Lifeguard6 $205 for 12L -you only need 8L
Valve body gasket $12
Mechatronic sleeve gasket $15
24 bolts $47

So it's a little pricey

Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
I think it was the solenoids... Prices as follows. I think the solenoids have a life of about 6 years or 150K miles... They might be rebuild able, but no one does it right now...

Solenoids $465 (all 7)
Filter/pan/gasket $120
Lifeguard6 $205 for 12L -you only need 8L
Valve body gasket $12
Mechatronic sleeve gasket $15
24 bolts $47

So it's a little pricey

Thanks.

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 01-13-2014, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 series
Great tutorial.. I also found some information about fixing this BMW Transmission on http://www.twincharlotte.com . They are a local repair shop in Charlotte NC but their blog is full of useful tips and diagnosis for repair and combined with your photos, I was able to solve this problem myself.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Here are 2 documents that contain torque specs for the trans pan, drain plug and fill plug. I got them from Klaus at the same place that OP got his fluid and transpan. Enjoy. The site for the fluid the OP mentioned has these same documents. I'm planning to do a fluid change at 35,000 miles. I know it is early but the idea is to do it often as i won't be flushing out the torque converter only a fluid change. Planning to do every 35,000.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6hp26_28_bmw_fluidlevel.pdf (222.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf fluid_change_6.pdf (143.4 KB, 56 views)