Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
Battery Light

Hello again...I am hoping for better response this time. I am again asking about what I can do (hopefully w/o tearing entire cluster out). My Battery light in the left side of my cluster has been on for about 20,000 miles. No low voltage warnings, no start issues...and battery and alternator have both been tested good (load and no load)at parts store, by garage and by my friendly AAA Tow-driver/neighbor. About 10,000 miles ago, my airbag light came on on the right side of the cluster. I have been through the grounds (twice...but may be missing something). My neighbor said to look for something in common between them. I don't see it in my Bentley Manual???
It is not causing me any trouble, except when someone gets into my beautiful 7, they ask what it means, and I don't have an answer..."oh its been like that for a long time now...it's not a problem"!!!! Thanks for any and all suggestions...
Ads by Google
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
So, sorry if this is repetitive, have you done any work recently the to car? Anything, cleaning the engine bay, changing anything. etc etc...

I was reading a thread from a few years ago, and curious if you have had any work done recently?

Does the battery light stay on, does it ever blink at all?

I know its a long shot, but could your belts be possibly slipping on the alternator enuff.. Ive read several posts already saying that this could possibly cause the issue your having.
Maybe do a quick check of the tension on the belts and the tensioners.....

Ive also read several saying to check the cable that goes from the top of the engine down the alternator. you know the one that has the big plus on the cover. Check the entire cable for breaks in the insulation.. Then put the car up on jacks and trace the cable from the alternator back as well. It attaches to the subframe. Inspect it for cracks in the insulation. Maybe its just enuff to cause the light to come on, but not enuff to prohibit proper charging...

Its worth a shot if it hasnt been looked at yet...

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)

Last edited by ou18; 11-04-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:04 AM

Thank you for taking time out from "Mission Impossible". I have replaced all the belts and checked the tensioners to try to fix this and gone through everything I could find that may be loose. I did check the torque (and for corrosion) in the Big + terminal an the DS front. BUT I did not trace the wires to/from the alternator for high resistant shorts. I will do this. There is no flicker, just been on like it thinks it should be on. It is irritating...I will check the to/from alternator wiring as you suggested. Hopefully you are right.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

It could be a wild goose chase but its worth looking at.

On mine, im not sure if you have the same thing, there is a second wire going to the alternator from the wire box on top of the engine. I actually dont know what its for, but check that too. Ive actually put new shrink tubing on mine as it was basically bare wires going to it. I cut them, and reconnected them with some new wire to the plug and then shrink tubed them again. I actually did this on several of the wires in the engine bay.

This is one of those electrical gremlins that could be next to impossible to identify...

My passenger airbag light has been on since i bought mine, I just ignore it. to be honest, its not a big concern of mine right now. Maybe once i get this thing running for a period of time and know she isnt going to blow any gaskets, ill delve into that one...

However I have read several posts that the airbag light could be triggered because of a connection the sensor in the seat that identifies if someone is sitting there. Just a thought...

HAHA... MISSION impossible. i like it..

Old 11-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Yeah...that was a 'Freudian slip'....your "mission accomplished" would have been my "mission impossible". What you have accomplished on yours inspires me to handle these things on mine. Thanks...jim
Old 11-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

it certainly has felt like a mission impossible a few times, aka busted bolts and what not

Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM

I, for one, am impressed with your perseverance and accomplishments...
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Like I keep saying, i will be fully impressed with myself, when she is under load with coolant in her and not leaking from the that rear coolant cover. THen I will pat myself on the back and say, nicely done,,, nicely done...lol...Until then I am reserving excitement

Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 750iL
There have been quite a lot of instances of the passenger seat occupancy sensor causing the airbag light to come on. Before doing anything else, the wiring for this is at the rear of the seat, and wraps under to its connection-the cable insulation is shiny black, unlike the seat harness which is matt black. Check its plugged in.

If you tilt the seat back forward, remove the seat back, and unhook the seat leather from the row of hooks across the back, you might be able see the sensor, with said wire.

Unfortunately to go further, you have to release all 4 seat mounting screws, tilt the seat backwards, remove the grey plastic trims on either side, and finally remove the seat squab leather cover and foam as one. The sensor is between the leather and the cotton.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Playing Mechanic At Home

here a right up to get to the airbag seat sensor, much like chrisn identified, maybe some pics will help to guide you along if you go this route

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/291770

Old 11-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Thank you both...I was following the instructions, but visual is always great.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Society of the 7's East

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL
The diode in the alternator is bad so it feeds back current through the light. Car charges and there are no maladies that come with charging problems other than the light on.
This is very rare but I have had come across this.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:07 PM

Does this mean I can replace a diode, or replace the alternator??? Either way, thank you..the light has been irritating...particularly when the wife drives it, which is most of the time. Thank all of you...sounds like this weekend I may actually accomplish something.

Last edited by jitsjaf2009; 11-04-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Didn't make comment clear