Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550
Plastidip.....

I decided to try my hand at blacking out the rear hatch chrome strip....and decided to take out the GT and 550i as well..... The rear is just a bit more low key now IMO. (don't mind the terry cloth fuzz caught around the letters) Oh and I added a matching set of weathertech license plate frames and covers....

I definitely need to redo the hatch strip with glossifier to better match the shadowline trim....

Plastidip really is as cool as I thought it would be after reading and watching videos. You have to love a product that does so much and is completely removeable without a trace (and no prep to ruin the original finish!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plasti 1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	405766   Click image for larger version

Name:	plasti 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	405767  
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.

Last edited by rogueshot; 11-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
That looks really sharp on a black vehicle, good job rogue! After reading about plastidip I went searching on YouTube and was amazed at what they are doing with the stuff...I remember using it to make a grip for an all metal plier, lol! I found one video particularly intriguing where someone did the entire exterior of an Audi then took it in the snow followed by a car wash and finished by showing their mother peeling it off the car. What a great idea to protect the vehicle during the winter months!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT XDrive
I definitely dig the "murdered out" look... I debadged my 550 completely but have yet to do anything to the chrome strip... Come Spring I'm re-wrapping the entire car in matte black, at which time it will make sense to black out all the remaining chrome elements including the kidneys and hatch strip... Also planning on adding a red tow hook to the front and painting the calipers red... BMW emblems on hood, trunk, and center caps will also need to be replaced with either carbon fiber or red details. Props on your successful DIY project! Have you any future cosmetic mod plans? I feel like blak kidneys are a must if you haven't already done that!

2011 F07 550i Gran Turismo XDrive, BSM under 3M matte white and carbon fiber wrap on 20" black powder coated twin-5-spoke MSport wheels... Sport with Black Nappa, Exec, Camera, Convenience, Cold weather, Premium Sound, Rear Entertainment, etc

Old 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM

I am definitely going to do my front grills. Hopefully I ll get a nice weather day in December and can knock it out. Tinted windows and matte blk round double exhaust tips are on the list as well.
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshot View Post
I decided to try my hand at blacking out the rear hatch chrome strip....and decided to take out the GT and 550i as well..... The rear is just a bit more low key now IMO. (don't mind the terry cloth fuzz caught around the letters) Oh and I added a matching set of weathertech license plate frames and covers....

I definitely need to redo the hatch strip with glossifier to better match the shadowline trim....

Plastidip really is as cool as I thought it would be after reading and watching videos. You have to love a product that does so much and is completely removeable without a trace (and no prep to ruin the original finish!)
Ok, I'll bite. How did you do it? Did you remove the strip or use spray and did it in place? (I get confused by the "dip" part of the name...)

I've blacked mine out with 3M sheets (I used it on the door-handle chrom too) and it works ok, but I like this idea. I think it will also look god on the turning vanes in the lower grill.

TIA
DLM
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 AM

watch this video.....it is sooo easy. but you need to follow instructions.

you HAVE to tape per Fonzi's directions and then peal the overspray....