Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: e92 335i
wastegate or not

alright so i wanted to know if any of the more experienced 335 people on here would be able to help me. when i start the car, there is a constant rattling noise. when i press the gas and let off there is a noise...after about a minute (or when the driver side exhaust opens up) the rattling goes away, and i can rev it freely without any rattling. thing is, even if i drive for 30 min, shut the car off and turn it back on, it still rattles. then goes away. car has a faint rattle when i put it in park though.

i tried unplugging the flap in the exhaust via the connection wire in the trunk but it still makes a rattling sound upon start up. i dont know if i need to actually disconnect the vacuum to the flap or not, but i read the trunk wire disables it.

wondering if someone could tell me if indeed it is the wastegate or not based off of this information.
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
I'm new around here so take this with a grain of salt, but from everything i've read around here this sounds like the "wastegate rattle" a lot of people have issues with.

You can use the search button up top and see what results come back
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Based of that information...it is most likely your wastegate actuator arms rattling in their loose bushings. I had mine upgraded under CPO warranty and it went away.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Where is the source of the rattle coming from?
You never stated that and if it is a wastegate rattle it would be on the pass side down around the middle of the engine. If it is elsewhere it is something else rattling. Waste gates usually only rattle when they are cold.
If you are under warranty take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out. Wastgate is warranted to 8 years 82K miles by BMW...
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM

alright so in cold starting and walking around my car, it is definitely coming from the front passenger side part of the engine compartment. so im guessing it definitely is the wastegate..or the actuator arm that I hear gets lose and rattles.

in figuring this out..is it possible to just change that arm without having to dismantle everything? or will I need brand new turbos?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Where is the source of the rattle coming from?
You never stated that and if it is a wastegate rattle it would be on the pass side down around the middle of the engine. If it is elsewhere it is something else rattling. Waste gates usually only rattle when they are cold.
If you are under warranty take it to the dealer and ask them to check it out. Wastgate is warranted to 8 years 82K miles by BMW...
What he said.

The exhaust switchover valve which you disconnected is located in the rear exhaust in the trunk area. If that was the source of the noise it would clearly be coming from the back of the car.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by three35 View Post
alright so in cold starting and walking around my car, it is definitely coming from the front passenger side part of the engine compartment. so im guessing it definitely is the wastegate..or the actuator arm that I hear gets lose and rattles.

in figuring this out..is it possible to just change that arm without having to dismantle everything? or will I need brand new turbos?

Raise the hood! Or, better, car on lift/jack stands - get up close & personal. But, prob those waste gates.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:46 AM

in getting the car up and listening to it, definitely sounds like the wastegates. so my question is, does having that wastegate rattle reduce the car's performance numbers? will having that rattle lead to future problems?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by three35 View Post
in getting the car up and listening to it, definitely sounds like the wastegates. so my question is, does having that wastegate rattle reduce the car's performance numbers? will having that rattle lead to future problems?
Well, if your read the first sentence in the first post in the link I gave you immediately before your post above, dunno....does that have relevance to your question?
Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
I had this too. Took it in and they replaced the left muffler which also has the flap. They said that it was not tight and therefore was affecting the wastegates.

The sound did go away.