Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
led angel eyes

I have a 2011 335i and really like the way the white led angel eyes look. I am in the process of upgrading my angel eyes to the white led lights. I have read a ton of reviews on the mtec's and the other higher end lights ($200 and up). There are also very similar lights on ebay for 1/3 of the cost. Is it really worth spending the extra $150 for the higher end lights?
Ads by Google
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i Cabrio E93
Ya get what you pay for. Try getting that warranty coverage from China.

Seriously, do you want to have to replace them again in three month?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 PM

A couple of the reviews that I read said that they are the same bulbs that the companies buy them and stamp their name on the bulb- that they are all made in china
Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Re: led angel eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_shoes View Post
A couple of the reviews that I read said that they are the same bulbs that the companies buy them and stamp their name on the bulb- that they are all made in china
Seems true. They all use the same LEDs which is CREE. I am also in the market on buying one and I was considering Lux v4 but those ebay ones looks decent for a third of the price.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM

then I'm reading reviews on the mtec's that say the lights get ridiculoulsly hot, error messages everyday, and some say that one side will just go out from time to time.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM

Ok well I haven't heard nearly as many issues with the lux v4's so I just ordered them. I think I am going to have them installed based on how hard it is to reach into the space.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM

The old lady is going to be pissed lol
Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Try bimmian.com
Old 11-05-2013, 03:51 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
led angel eyes

Quote:
Ok well I haven't heard nearly as many issues with the lux v4's so I just ordered them. I think I am going to have them installed based on how hard it is to reach into the space.
V4's are not that bad to install, V3's were PITA to install.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-05-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335i Cabrio E93
Quote:
Pretty much all LED's are made in China. Some take components and assemble here. Major companies such as Phillips and Cree have much better QC.

It has been my experience that LED's distributed by reputable US companies tend to be "better" long term, because you have someone that has to stand behind and deal with the issues.

The quality coming out of China is all over the place. I get samples all the time to try because I design lighting.

If you want to install and hopefully forget about them; find you a supplier that has been around here in the states for awhile. They are not going to keep selling parts they constantly have to hassle with. Not enough profit in it.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
This is one of the suppliers for many vendors

http://www.auto-led-manufacturer.com/

They have a minimum order requirement but it's not much.

The only kit that I know is made with a proper driver source and genuine Cree LEDs is the LUX units.

This manufacture claims all the LEDs are genuine Cree LEDs but I have a hard time believing that. Also I think the "drivers" they use are nothing more than a voltage regulator setup or a transistor setup to drive the LED which is inefficient and brings along it's own problems.

But to be fair, I've install cheap LEDs in peoples cars from eBay and most, about 80%, are still ok. However, it's inevitable that heat will kill these units. The heatsink size has been the same since the first of these designs came out. Now they are pushing over a claimed 40W through these heatsinks. To properly dissipate 40W of energy, you need much more surface area for the heatsink.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |