Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
Clicking/kaPop sound when shifting

Flex disk?

Ball or other joints?

Hanger bearing?

All three - or what?

I'm finally getting familiar enough with the car to differentiate sounds. I'm not sure this is normal.

Thanks in advance -

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
It's not normal.
Manual or automatic?
Is the sound associated with the shifting action, or is it related, such as part of the clutch engagement or tied to acceleration or deceleration?
Does the sound come from under the car or in the back, such as the result of a broken suspension part or the dreaded differential mount failure?
Absent any other information and assuming it's a manual transmission, my first guess would be shift linkage bushings. You can look over this article: http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...t_Bushings.htm
Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the reply and for the link.

It's a 2.8L with a manual transmission.

Reading your post I see four points for evaluation:

shifting action
clutch engagement
acceleration/deceleration
location of sound

After thinking on it I believe I can isolate each step and make notes on the source.

It will be the weekend before I can get back into it and check all that, but I'll make notes and come back to the discussion.

Thanks again -

If you insist on exercising a right to burn our flag, first be so kind as to wrap yourself in it and douse yourself with gasoline just before you strike the match.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 AM

Okay, this morning I was able to take a 25 mile ride through the country and the noise seems to emanate from behind the driver's seat.

It occurs often, but not always, when shifting.

I can hear it at times when I accelerate/decelerate.

??

Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Sounds like the rear shock mount failure. Very common. Replace them with aftermarket ones from Rogue Engineering, Ireland Engineering, or others.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklane View Post
Sounds like the rear shock mount failure. Very common. Replace them with aftermarket ones from Rogue Engineering, Ireland Engineering, or others.
Roger that.

Lacking a detailed history of this car I am gradually building a list of preventative maintenance chores based on reading at multiple sources.

Granted, mechanical conveyances do not have a mind of their own, but some of the chores are all the same prioritizing their selves.

This one just got moved to the top.