Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Against the advice of my trusted indy I popped for a set of Akebono ceramics for my 550i. Just could not take the black brake dust on my new 172's. (Did the same after buying new wheels for my Corvette; that has worked out just fine.) Several days after the switch on my 5er I am so happy that my wheels still shine several days after the last wash job! The truth: the ceramics don't stop quite as well as the oem pads on either car; and it does take a little while to get used to the difference in stopping ability (slightly less). But they do stop the car well enough, and the WHEELS STAY CLEAN!!! I'm a happy man. I know many of you have hesitated to switch just as I did, but for the record, I'm glad I did.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1383705688.185952.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	405960Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1383706022.016190.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	405967

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 08 550i
Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Have been debating this for a while now. Almost convinced to buy ceramics. I wonder what the hawk pads do in terms of stopping.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ICEMAN9 View Post
Have been debating this for a while now. Almost convinced to buy ceramics. I wonder what the hawk pads do in terms of stopping.

According to reviews I've read the Hawks don't perform as well, plus some people report noise issues with the Hawks. Pretty happy so far with Akebonos all around. Tire Rack has lots of reviews for your reading pleasure

Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: E60 545i6/04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmbl View Post
According to reviews I've read the Hawks don't perform as well, plus some people report noise issues with the Hawks. Pretty happy so far with Akebonos all around. Tire Rack has lots of reviews for your reading pleasure

+1 on the akebonos, I use them on all my vehicles as well
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Quote:
Against the advice of my trusted indy I popped for a set of Akebono ceramics for my 550i. Just could not take the black brake dust on my new 172's. (Did the same after buying new wheels for my Corvette; that has worked out just fine.) Several days after the switch on my 5er I am so happy that my wheels still shine several days after the last wash job! The truth: the ceramics don't stop quite as well as the oem pads on either car; and it does take a little while to get used to the difference in stopping ability (slightly less). But they do stop the car well enough, and the WHEELS STAY CLEAN!!! I'm a happy man. I know many of you have hesitated to switch just as I did, but for the record, I'm glad I did.Attachment 405960Attachment 405967

I did the same recently. I had my BMW dealer put on ceramic pads after trying to get me to stay with the OEMs. After turning them down they did finally recommend a high quality ceramic pad from Auto Part International (API) and they've been great. I haven't noticed any difference in stopping power with the ceramics and the wheels stay clean!

2003 540i M Sport, Titanium Silver For Sale
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 08 550i
Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Quote:

Thanks. Gonna look these up. Almost time to swap mine. Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Boland01

Mein Auto: 2010 535iX, 1996 328i
When mine need replaced I'm going to make ther switch to ceramics too. Now it seems like if you even take the car around the block the rims get brake dust all over them. BTW I did switch to ceramics on tow of other other cars and noticed no difference in braking ability and my rims stay 100% cleaner.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I'm so tierd of the brake dust and been contemplating trying those brake pads..Some of u guys say that the brakes work good . I'm assuming its normal road driving ? As I take my car on some pretty aggressive canyon driving , carving the s turns hard around once a month or so. How do these brake pads hold up on this type of driving ?? As far as break fade and getting hot after a two hour drive . Someone said u have to step on the brakes alittle harder than with Oem pads . I'm just about ready to try out these pads but I'm concerned they might not perform well when braking hard into the turns. Thinking they won't bite as hard as the Oem's. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this...
Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 525i
I would never trade my braking path distance for clean rims. Functionality was always before estetics for me.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Boland01

Mein Auto: 2010 535iX, 1996 328i
With the Nissan Armada, Ford Mustang and Nissan Altima I switched from oem pads to ceramics there was no trade off. That's why I have no issue switching my 535 too when the time comes.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimma View Post
I would never trade my braking path distance for clean rims. Functionality was always before estetics for me.
Unless you like to tailgate, you'll probably won't notice the difference. It's not much of a trade-off at all.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
Unless you like to tailgate, you'll probably won't notice the difference. It's not much of a trade-off at all.
+1. Never noticed any difference after I swapped mine. Just cleaner wheels.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 11-07-2013, 07:01 PM

Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
I'm so tierd of the brake dust and been contemplating trying those brake pads..Some of u guys say that the brakes work good . I'm assuming its normal road driving ? As I take my car on some pretty aggressive canyon driving , carving the s turns hard around once a month or so. How do these brake pads hold up on this type of driving ?? As far as break fade and getting hot after a two hour drive . Someone said u have to step on the brakes alittle harder than with Oem pads . I'm just about ready to try out these pads but I'm concerned they might not perform well when braking hard into the turns. Thinking they won't bite as hard as the Oem's. Just wondering if anyone has any input on this...
Can't speak to ceramic performance with spirited or race track driving -- my car is a cruiser/commuter. You do have to use a slight bit more pressure on the pedal to get the same stop as with oem pads. Ceramics definitely don't bite as hard or as immediately as oem's but for me it's a fair trade-off: slightly different brake feel for MUCH CLEANER WHEELS!!! You can probably tell I'm pretty anal about the appearance of my car.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535xi
Re: Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Is there any change in wear life?

AJ - 2009 535xi
Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Can't speak to ceramic performance with spirited or race track driving -- my car is a cruiser/commuter. You do have to use a slight bit more pressure on the pedal to get the same stop as with oem pads. Ceramics definitely don't bite as hard or as immediately as oem's but for me it's a fair trade-off: slightly different brake feel for MUCH CLEANER WHEELS!!! You can probably tell I'm pretty anal about the appearance of my car.

Well I'm the same way about having a clean car andI would love cleaner wheels...
Hmm,, so I reckon I would have to brake sooner and possibly longer going into hard turns. I wonder what the temperature rating difference is between the two.. Wonder which pad has a higher temperature tolerance before fade and overheating.
I have actually seen someone burn their brakes to toast, we were carving the canyons really hard and got them so hot,, to the point that they overheated so much, that a alot of smoke was coming out of both his front wheels. The guy had to use his emergency brake to get home.

Last edited by H F; 11-07-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatAJ View Post
Is there any change in wear life?

Can't say from personal experience, but from what I've read ceramics outlast oem pads and also allow rotors to last longer since they don't have the metallic compound. All I know is one week after a wash job and driving every day my wheels are still clean!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mortyk
Mein Auto: 2010 535xi
Just think stopping just 2-3 feet shorter could mean the difference of a wrecked car. If I have to wash my wheels 100 times more often, sure beats 1 accident.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortyk View Post
Just think stopping just 2-3 feet shorter could mean the difference of a wrecked car. If I have to wash my wheels 100 times more often, sure beats 1 accident.
On the 99th time, I'll swing by so you can do mine. They will probably need it by then.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM

On one condition. You have no damage to the front of your car.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
DEAL!
Old 11-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
You're kidding right? If you are worried about adding 2-3 feet of minimum stopping distance then you shouldn't carry passengers in your car (adding passenger weight increases stopping distance).

And I hope you don't let your tires wear. Tire Rack tested a BMW with new tires (10/32" tread depth) and then tires still considered good at 4/32" tread depth. Stopping distance for 70mph to zero on new tires was was 195ft, compared to 290ft for the 4/32" tread depth (almost a 100ft difference).

Too many factors are involved in stopping distance to worry about a 2-3 foot difference based on brake pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=85

Last edited by bimmerfan52; 11-09-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
I have Posi Quiets and R1 cross drilled rotors on my car and definitely notice a difference in braking vs. stock. I bought the pads to reduce brake dust and the rotors to help in cooling faster, but the braking effort is more and the distance is significantly more (maybe its because I have too 'in-tuned' with my car and the 8 BMWs I have owned in the past. I am going to try to put the OEM pads back on and see the difference in stopping power. The Posi Quiets SIGNIFICANTLY reduce brake dust though.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:17 AM

Finally! Clean Wheels!!!

Quote:
Sounds like a great deal! Can I get in on that one?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 AM

But of course. But I forgot to add you need to bring the bucket, water, etc.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
You're kidding right? If you are worried about adding 2-3 feet of minimum stopping distance then you shouldn't carry passengers in your car (adding passenger weight increases stopping distance).

And I hope you don't let your tires wear. Tire Rack tested a BMW with new tires (10/32" tread depth) and then tires still considered good at 4/32" tread depth. Stopping distance for 70mph to zero on new tires was was 195ft, compared to 290ft for the 4/32" tread depth (almost a 100ft difference).

Too many factors are involved in stopping distance to worry about a 2-3 foot difference based on brake pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=85
Bimmerfan, after all is said and done 2-3 feet can and is many times the difference between an accident or not. I understand all of the factors that can effect braking but anything that helps you stop better is always best no matter how slight. Just my opinion.