Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Red face My 06 X3 Wont Start Help!! Mechanic went MIA!!!

Hello,

I have a 06 x3 .... recently the car was overheating badly but would start up and drive without any other problems other than it over heating intermittently. My mechanic replaced the water pump and the thermostat and the car for the most part has remained at a good temperature with it getting hot twice since both pump and thermostat changed (mechanic said it had a lot of hair in the car), also the hose that connects the reservoir for coolant and im guessing radiator or engine was replaced as well as the serpentine belt. Once the mechanic was finished the car was running fine, but the gas was on E...I went to the gas station #1 and gave it some 93 @$5 (my husband and I didnt communicate this I normally use regular 87) I went to fill it up as normal 87 grade and car started riding rough really rough almost like the gas was going out and the car wanted to stop, none the less the car improved as I continued to drive it (about 20 miles) I arrived at destination car was off for about an hour or so turned car back on it was fine drove home (no rough start), that night car was in driveway and next morning it wouldnt start, it would crank and act like it wanted to start, but wouldnt turn over until 20 gazillion tries it did this again after leaving that house picking up food and getting back in the car wouldnt start than after some tries it started. Husband took car to work it was fine started both times. following morning car wont start only will crank and the smell of gas is coming from it? Could this be the fuel pump (even tho it had no signs of this prior to mechanic changing things??), could it be a relay??, could it be something was shifted during install process? should I put some seafoam in it? I would take it to BMW but really hoping to fine an answer and save myself $1000 dollars. Any advice is welcomed thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
You may have a coil dying. Is there any engine management light?
Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 AM

Yes the check engine light is on it's always been on tho due to some other codes.. When mechanic was here before the car started running rough that code wasn't given. What are the symptoms of a bad coil? Ou don't think it may be a fuel pump?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Just guessing and throwing parts at it can be expensive. Get someone to read the codes so you have some direction. Almost sounds like a fuel pump is going bad but then that's just a guess without seeing codes...
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 AM

Could I use one of those scanners from autozone or no my mechanic has the scanner from BMW but he's M.I.A
Old 11-06-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Getting the Autozone people to use a generic scanner is better than nothing. I'd go to Autozone or elsewhere for a free read if I didn't own one...
Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 AM

Okay sounds good will do that today and let you all know the verdict. Thank you for your help thus far! Have a great day!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 AM

Have all the stored code cleared, then see which ones come back. Take a pen and paper and write down the old and new codes and post them in here.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM

I had the codes cleared but they didn't come back the codes are: p0304, p0313, p0303, p0174, p0171, p0300
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si [e83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmdodd View Post
I had the codes cleared but they didn't come back the codes are: p0304, p0313, p0303, p0174, p0171, p0300
Still having issues with the car since the codes were read and cleared?

Now that you have the codes, run a search on the forums for each code and you're bound to find useful information on how to diagnose and fix the issue.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
.... car was overheating badly ....... getting hot twice since both pump and thermostat changed (mechanic said it had a lot of hair in the car) ...... the gas was on E ... it would crank and act like it wanted to start, but wouldnt turn over until 20 gazillion tries ...... wont start only will crank and the smell of gas is coming from it?
That's one sick puppy.

Quote:
They will. It just needs time or miles to run through all the diagnostics.

Especially the ones pointing to a random misfire.

Probably several things wrong. Such as a vacuum leak, and/or crankcase vent valve in need of replacement (expensive).

Any number of fuel or ignition related things could be causing misfires in cyl. 3 & 4.

But your fuel pump is one of the less likely things to be a problem.

Sounds like a lot of asked of the vehicle for daily errands and it doesn't get much in return.

Generic codes from Autozone can only go so far to helping you diagnose the problem(s).

You need someone with a BMW-specific code reader to drill down on those misfire codes.

The generic descriptions can lead you off on the wrong track.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Yes my mechanic has one but he has went Mia the car once started runs fine and the crank case vent valve has been replaced along with intake boot
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 PM

This issue didn't begin until he changed the water pump and thermostat before this the car never had an issue starting
Old 11-06-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
This issue didn't begin until he changed the water pump and thermostat before this the car never had an issue starting
Probably just coincidence - can't see that anything would happen when doing that cooling system work to cause starting or running issues.

But car should not be running hot afterwards - that is a clue that needs to be looked at.

Rule out head gasket by checking for oil in coolant and vice versa.
(A damaged head gasket could explain a lot of the observed symptoms. Unfortunately when the needle gets to the red you need a bit of luck to avoid permanent effects of the resulting cylinder head expansion from extreme heat.)

Hopefully there is a less sinister explanation for what's happening with random misfires in 2 adjacent cylinders.
But that doesn't sound like an ignition-related cause to me.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:11 PM

Yes okay so how do I check to rule out a head gasket... The car started today and when driving white smoke followed which smelled like burning coolant
Old 11-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Yes okay so how do I check to rule out a head gasket... The car started today and when driving white smoke followed which smelled like burning coolant
Hmmmm. That doesn't sound good.

Keep watching out for how it acts when driving, the temp. gauge, and the white smoke.

When engine is cool, check the float in the expansion tank and add some water if needed.

Find the M.I.A. mechanic or a good facsimile of him.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM

The elephant in the room is that your are describing all the symptoms of a blown headgasket.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:05 PM

Okay the car started and drove today without smoke. When it is running there are no symptoms and When engine is hot the car restarts quickly only when the car cools it becomes hard to start. I would like to know how do I check to verify if it is the head gasket or not
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
.... pump and thermostat changed (mechanic said it had a lot of hair in the car),
That was meant to be "a lot of air" in the cooling system?

If that was at the time the thermostat and water pump were replaced, it would be consistent with a failed head gasket.

That would lead to a loss of compression which could make cold starts difficult, but not affect warm or hot starts.

Oil and coolant can become mixed other than through a blown head gasket, so the only sure way may be to have a compression test done.

Especially if it is an internal leak and not an external one.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 PM

Sounds good I will get the tests done so I know my options, ill keep you all posted. Thanks again!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 05 X3 3.0i
We just had to have the EWS unit replacein our 05 X3 3.0. Same issue, car would act like it wanted to start but just wouldn't. After replacing the fuel pump and filter thinking that was the culprit we found out through an awesome local tech what it was. No problems since.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:14 AM

Well an update my other car also went out so car problems all around... The bmw is still sitting it will start but sounds horrible. The mechanic well looking for another that specializes in BMW's to come to the house and take a look...Once I get word of what the culprit is ill be sure to post. Still trying to figure out if I need a Head Gasket and if its worth replacing