Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-06-2013, 02:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
Goodyear LS2 tire bulge...

I noticed a slight bulge on my front left tire. This must have happened over the last day or so. It's not overly "gross" but you can see a section of the sidewall bulging on the sideway. It's bead has also pulled away from the wheel a few mm.

I have BMW's tire and wheel. All told, the tires have 6k miles on them. Any of you guys go through a major hassle with this? I would expect the tire and wheel warranty that I bought from the dealer would handle this. This bulge is obviously a weak spot on the tire.

TIA.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
The GY LSII were a major problem back in '11. There's a very long sticky at t he top of the forum devoted to the F10's tire issues. GY itself may also provide warranty coverage depending of the age and mileage.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Drink More Wine!

Mein Auto: 2011 550iX M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
I noticed a slight bulge on my front left tire. This must have happened over the last day or so. It's not overly "gross" but you can see a section of the sidewall bulging on the sideway. It's bead has also pulled away from the wheel a few mm.

I have BMW's tire and wheel. All told, the tires have 6k miles on them. Any of you guys go through a major hassle with this? I would expect the tire and wheel warranty that I bought from the dealer would handle this. This bulge is obviously a weak spot on the tire.

TIA.
Since you have the insurance, you should have no issues. I've used my tire and wheel insurance six times to replace those tires.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535xi / 2012 X5 35i
Goodyear LS2 tire bulge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by que syrah syrah View Post
Since you have the insurance, you should have no issues. I've used my tire and wheel insurance six times to replace those tires.
+1.

I used my insurance (non BMW policy) 7 times on my 2011 535.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

On Order: '15 F15 X5 xDrive35i | Black Sapphire/Black | Luxury Line | Cold Weather | Driver Asst + | Premium | Running Boards | Window Shades

Retired: '11 F10 535xi | ED 11/26/2010
Retired: '07 E90 328xi
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Escuse me for asking this but I am flabbergasted that so many BMW owners have so many tire and wheel problems and at so much cost. Is this possibly due to low profile wheels which provides less rubber between the tire and the rim or is because so many of you have to drive on pot hole type roads regularly. This is only a question because I dont know anybody where I lived in Ontario and certainly on the Island here who have more than the odd flat, tire bulge from hitting a hole but not in the thousands! Of course, these tires and wheels on the 535 and 550 are likely high end which might be a big factor.

AL
Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Drink More Wine!

Mein Auto: 2011 550iX M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler View Post
Escuse me for asking this but I am flabbergasted that so many BMW owners have so many tire and wheel problems and at so much cost. Is this possibly due to low profile wheels which provides less rubber between the tire and the rim or is because so many of you have to drive on pot hole type roads regularly. This is only a question because I dont know anybody where I lived in Ontario and certainly on the Island here who have more than the odd flat, tire bulge from hitting a hole but not in the thousands! Of course, these tires and wheels on the 535 and 550 are likely high end which might be a big factor.

AL
Two reasons:

1. Yes, the roads really are that bad around Washington, DC.
2. The Goodyear LS-2 (245/40R19) is really not very well made (IMHO).

I have low profile (not RF's) on another car and have not had a flat tire (yet? knock wood).
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
Tire was replaced under my wheel and tire insurance. I'm glad that it was honored. These tires are wearing fast and I'm not playing F1 every time I drive the car. Subtracting the mileage from GY vs. running snows, the GY tire that bubbled had about 6k on it as my car has 10k on it. I check pressures once a week and run the placard for pressures.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by que syrah syrah View Post
Two reasons:

1. Yes, the roads really are that bad around Washington, DC.
2. The Goodyear LS-2 (245/40R19) is really not very well made (IMHO).

I have low profile (not RF's) on another car and have not had a flat tire (yet? knock wood).
Good reasons:
I have:
Summers: (with Sport Suspension option): Conti Sport Contact 3E SSR 245/45/R18
Winters: (with Sport Suspension of course): Falken Eurowinter 439 snow tires 245/45/R18

Not exciting but I find the Contis stick like glue and seem rugged although i dont have your bad roads. The winters are soft and squeal if i hit the pedal but are,like the Contis wearing very well. I dont know if these tires are used in the US although many 5 series here have Contis and they dont develop tram line problems and uneven wear in my experience.
re
I had problems in Barbados with huge potholes and had two big tire bulges there requiring new tires(Michelins).

AL

Last edited by Fastpaddler; 11-09-2013 at 06:54 PM.