Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-24-2016, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
replacing valve seams N62 help AGA tool

I'm finally going to replace my valve seals. I purchased the AGA tool. My question is whether or not I need to use gasket sealer one the valve cover gaskets when I put it back together. I'm familiar with cork gaskets and using sealant but haven't worked with rubber valve gaskets. Any other tips from someone who has used the AGA tool would also be appreciated
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2016, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Well I did R&R the same heads on mine 4.4 N62. regarding your question yes you need to use rtv on the rear area of the cover seals where the cams are, small amount.
One thing if you haven't done any engine performance checks, what is the current miles ? I removed heads at 120k but oil smoke since about 100k. I did compression check and found didn't meet spec for max out of range. Cyl -cyl. Performed leak down test found cyl4 intake valve leaking. ok you pull one head you do both. Also before heads came off I checked crankcase vacuum before 13in H20 spec max is 11.5. Rechecked after,went down to 7in H2O after all said and done oil consumption went from 1qt in 300 miles to 1qt in 10k miles. This is what I did now what you do with the info is up to you. I wouldn't just assume its the valve seals only. current miles 182k
Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
I have 125K on the vehicle. Runs great with the exception when the engine gets warm and you have to idle at a drive through, I leave in a puff of smoke. I don't burn much oil but it's a bit embarassing to drive off in a puff of smoke. Once I pull the covers I'll have a better idea but the whole idea of the AGA tool would be to be able to replace the seals without having to tear a lot more of the engine down. Hopefully, it will go smoothly. I also have a 545i with the same engine but closer to 100K and at this point, no smoke. The possibility (likelihood) of having to rent the tool twice at $250 a crack made the purchase make sense. I'll either rent the tool out for less money ($250 is a lot) or sell it when I'm done. We'll see how it goes
Old 07-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8is
I have this tool for sale, used once, for $760 US. I am currently in Canada, I can ship to US for extra cost. Let me know of any one is interested

new one is $859+tax+ shipping

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search