Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5
Seat Heater Malfunction - Switch or Element

I am new to this forum having recently picked up a 2005 X5. The seat heater for the driver's seat does not work. When the button/switch on the console is pushed for the driver's seat heater, nothing happens. There are no lights at all. The passenger seat works as expected.

I know it's not a fuse because I checked them and because both front seat heaters appear to be on the same fuse circuit and the passenger seat works. I took the switch apart and examined what I could for solder connections and pcb board integrity and everything seemed fine to a visual inspection. The switch is more complex than I would have expected. I did not take apart the mechanical part of the switch but I can hear the microswitch click in the switch when the seat heater button is pressed.

I have not yet taken apart the seat to check continuity in the heating element. I tried to do that with the seat in the car by removing the plastic backing from the seat but I could not see a plug for the seat heater wires and there is a whole lot going on the back of the seat with the lumbar support bladder and tubes. I think it might be a big job to take apart the seat to check the actual heating element. I also don't have a wiring diagram to show which pins on the electric seat connector are for the seat heater.

I have read many posts about the heating elements breaking which seems to produce a symptom in which the switch will light up for a second and then shut off (or set the seat on fire). My case is different since the switch does not light up at all. I have seen a couple of posts with the same symptom I have but no resolution was provided.

I am trying to decide whether to pull the seat and take it apart to see if I can find a plug to check continuity for the heating element or to just buy a replacement switch on ebay for $100 and hope that does the trick.

I welcome any thoughts or guidance.
Ads by Google