Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 323i & 2000 323i
Please help driver side heated seat BURNING MY BOTTOM!

Hello Everyone,

I couldnt find a post with this issue. I purchased my car(2009 323i) in May 2013 and recently have tried to use my heated seat since the cold weather is here. So what is happening is the right side of the seat is getting extremly hot even on the lowest setting, You cant even put your hand on it without pulling away before 3 seconds. Any suggetions for me to try before I send it to the dealership that is going to charge me $153.00 just to diagnose it!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by alysiawallis; 11-07-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
No tricks here looks like you will need a tech to do a look see, $153 not that bad.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Burned your bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysiawallis View Post
Hello Everyone,

I couldnt find a post with this issue. I purchased my car(2009 323i) in May 2013 and recently have tried to use my heated seat since the cold weather is here. So what is happening is the right side of the seat is getting extremly hot even on the lowest setting, You cant even put your hand on it without pulling away before 3 seconds. Any suggetions for me to try before I send it to the dealership that is going to charge me $153.00 just to diagnose it!

Thank you in advance!
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Thank you in advance!

A heated pad under upholstery. Possibly left side open allowing high current right side. Replace.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Cal you are the MAN, you know just about eveything! and I mean that respectively
Old 11-07-2013, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
is it possible if an open pad, loose wire? Look under the seat with a flash light
Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation Heated seat issues

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
Thank you in advance!
BMW has issued several recalls related to heated seats. I recommend hunting these down http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...ectrical-flaw/ before having a dealer burn a hole in your pocket!!

Current:
2013 535xDrive
1998 Z3 2.8
Past:
2007 530xi
2001 740i
1998 740i
1994 740i
1986 524TD

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!
Mr. Rebates
Old 11-07-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
Cal you are the MAN, you know just about eveything! and I mean that respectively

Well, thank.....wait....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elmer Fudd.gif
Views:	32
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	406287
Old 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
not pics of your burning bottom... we don't want to see you bottom
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
A heated pad under upholstery. Possibly left side open allowing high current right side. Replace.

okay, heaters. I might know a thing or two about these. It would depend whether the elements are hooked in parallel or series. Cal's idea would not work for parallel as two R's in parallel are less than the one R by itself. If left were open, the circuit would revert back to a single R with a higher R and thus lower current.
R in //: Req=(R1*R2)/ (R1+R2); If R1=R2=8; Req=4

If left and right were in series and left were open, the circuit dies as its open. Me thinks more along the lines of series circuit but a with current feeding to right and then short to ground (imlpying a fault) before continuing on to the left side. This would effectively double the current presuming both sides have same R. Double the current means quadruple the watts as Power =I^2*R. This sounds like the burn your butt mode that you describe.

We had 4 resistors in series on a fuel line heater on STS-43. Workmen accidently had a clamp pinch the circuit between heaters 2 and 3 and it was a dead short to the spacecraft's common ground. As a bonus, the thermostat was on the downstream end of the circuit. So boys and girls, we had the upstream circuit with quadruple power and no thermostat to turn it off and the short took out theromostat out of the effective circuit. That hydrazine line shot up thermally like a rocket and flight controllers had to have crew manually dissable it. We came to know that event as a "smart short". It knew right where to go bad to cause a very severe situation. After that flight, all circuits were changed to put thermostat at front of circuit. It some instances, an overtemp thermostat was also added to stop a runaway condition.

I'm not disagreeing with Cal but it sounds like too high of a current running throught the right side. the series circuit analogy with half way short seems to play. Is the left side normal temp or not heated at all. Cal's picture (guessing from realOEM) shows many heater patches so ther may be multiple circuits to ponder.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-07-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: always the damn spelling
Old 11-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
In one of my Volvos, the heated seats were fine. Then one day, one got REALLY hot and it failed shortly after. This may be a warning sign that the heating is about to go.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 11-07-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I'm not disagreeing with Cal but it sounds like too high of a current running throught the right side. the series circuit analogy with half way short seems to play. Is the left side normal temp or not heated at all. Cal's picture (guessing from realOEM) shows many heater patches so ther may be multiple circuits to ponder.

Yeah, prob parallel. So. Voltage, she no change. T'dissipate more watts, reduce resistance. Lowish resistance short, hot side.

The great truth: Watts = V*V/R

Wait....what if....not internally shorted, but lowish resistance short to ground mid-circuit, hot side? Voltage divider!

Oy! My butt hurts!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
not pics of your burning bottom... we don't want to see your bottom
Speak for yourself. On the other hand, if Alysia isn't a female name, I'm feeling kinda creepy.

There's a thermostat in there somewhere. It's gone bad. The thermostat can be as simple as a feedback loop like those reminders on the dashboard that tell you if you've got a light out. The problem is probably not in the element but in the module. Yup, a simple 'computer' controlling seat heating. The damned things are everywhere, probably over 30 in the car.
Works like this; As the element heats up resistance goes up. As resistance increases the module knows that it is at a particular temperature. When resistance reaches level X, according to the driver's setting on the switch, the module knows that the appropriate temperature has been reached.
A short could cause a problem but there are ways the module should pick up on that. I'm guessing it's the module (the 'thermostat') that's...um...kaput.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Speak for yourself. On the other hand, if Alysia isn't a female name, I'm feeling kinda creepy.

There's a thermostat in there somewhere. It's gone bad. The thermostat can be as simple as a feedback loop like those reminders on the dashboard that tell you if you've got a light out. The problem is probably not in the element but in the module. Yup, a simple 'computer' controlling seat heating. The damned things are everywhere, probably over 30 in the car.
Works like this; As the element heats up resistance goes up. As resistance increases the module knows that it is at a particular temperature. When resistance reaches level X, according to the driver's setting on the switch, the module knows that the appropriate temperature has been reached.
A short could cause a problem but there are ways the module should pick up on that. I'm guessing it's the module (the 'thermostat') that's...um...kaput.

What thermostat? If there is one, prob RTD w/chip & switch [transistor], mighty small.

Or, dash button is soft switch w/couple o'resistors.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
What thermostat? If there is one, prob RTD w/chip & switch [transistor], mighty small.

Quote:
Thermostat = Module
Old 11-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Thermostat = Module

What is this module? Show me this module. Or will you run away like the little mouse?

I must see this module. I will show this module who is the boss.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-08-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
What is this module? Show me this module. Or will you run away like the little mouse?

Geeze get a look at...the brown wingtips Borat's wearing. The man clearly has no sense of style. Black would have gone much better with the, the, whatever it is.

/Now returning thread to subject at hand/
Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:

We space peeps now use thermistors which tell a controller to turn off or on. It is closed loop feedback type control.

Yes CAL, P=V^2/R=I^2*R. same thing either way. I used the I^2*R way to demonstrate how power quadruples if current doubles.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Geeze get a look at...the brown wingtips Borat's wearing. The man clearly has no sense of style. Black would have gone much better with the, the, whatever it is.
Those aren't brown. They're cordovan.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:

I dont want to see Borat bottom.... ewwww
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 11-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Those aren't brown. They're cordovan.
Oh, cordovan? Brown with a little ox blood thrown in for good measure. That makes all the difference. I take back everything I said.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Who....who is this Borat of which you speak?