Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
How bad is the standard suspension?

Is the standard suspension boring like the standard f30? I cant seem to find a sport line that I like. Would you wait for a sport model or just go with the non sport model with all of the other options?
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport 6MT
IMO the standard suspension on the E9x is similar to the sport suspension on the F30's.

08' E90 335i, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, 6-spd
01' 330i TiAG, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, 5spd - R.I.P 04/12- gone but not forgotten.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
There's not a thing wrong with the E92 suspension. It's a great balance between performance and everyday drivability. I like it a lot.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
so what do you want? something like a go cart? no springs and no shocks
Old 11-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
so what do you want? something like a go cart? no springs and no shocks
Of course not, but I don't want it to drive like a Camry either.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Is the standard suspension boring like the standard f30? I cant seem to find a sport line that I like. Would you wait for a sport model or just go with the non sport model with all of the other options?

Well, let's see....
  • Blubber for rear subframe bushings
  • Blubber for control arm bushings
  • Flexible steel arms vs stiff aluminum cast arms
  • Front camber fixed
  • Progressive springs
  • Pre-2011 shocks lend themselves to shocking pothole explosions
  • 'Spaghetti thin' rear sway

Kinda sucks, actually. M3 grossly improves all above for a much more competent handler. You can too....with a few part replacements. Also, not a suspension item but a large improvement in handling & ride: Limited Slip Differential.

There.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
How bad is the standard suspension?

Quote:
Of course not, but I don't want it to drive like a Camry either.
IMHO, I would never buy a BMW with standard suspension. You might as well buy a Camry. It's cheaper and more reliable.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Well, let's see....
  • Blubber for rear subframe bushings
  • Blubber for control arm bushings
  • Flexible steel arms vs stiff aluminum cast arms
  • Front camber fixed
  • Progressive springs
  • Pre-2011 shocks lend themselves to shocking pothole explosions
  • 'Spaghetti thin' rear sway

Kinda sucks, actually. M3 grossly improves all above for a much more competent handler. You can too....with a few part replacements. Also, not a suspension item but a large improvement in handling & ride: Limited Slip Differential.

There.
I've read the thread you made for the work you did on your 335i very nice!

What would I need to change to make the standard suspension match the sport suspension and how much would it cost?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:

What would I need to change to make the standard suspension match the sport suspension and how much would it cost?
Shocks, springs; sways. The last I'm not sure of 100%.

But, shucks, score BMW performance springs + Koni FSD's - you'll have one sweet ride. Won't handle like M3, but won't have many of the most objectionable behaviors of the regular & sport suspension. Koni's ~$1K - dunno about springs - let Google be your guide.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
You're buying a used car right? Why worry about factory suspension, just buy Koni FSDs. They're the same stiffness/handling as my ZHP's stock shocks, but handle bumps much better. Springs are tougher, since the aftermarket ones mostly drop the car quite a bit lower than stock sport springs, and OEM cost a fortune.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:11 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:

See, this is what happens, you read something on an internet chat board thinking some anonymous person can out-engineer the engineers who designed the car, and now you're willing to spend heavily - just like that.

Never ceases to amaze me ....

NO ONE can tell you what you're going to like, just go and drive some different cars and pay for the one that puts a smile on your face.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
IMHO, I would never buy a BMW with standard suspension. You might as well buy a Camry. It's cheaper and more reliable.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
You must be comparing the Camry to Furby's F30!
I have driven a Camry, including one to Canada and back and it has nothing in common with the standard suspension on my E90.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
See, this is what happens, you read something on an internet chat board thinking some anonymous person can out-engineer the engineers who designed the car, and now you're willing to spend heavily - just like that.

NO ONE can tell you what you're going to like, just go and drive some different cars and pay for the one that puts a smile on your face.

Time tested and true, good advice!

That's why I went with BMW [M3] control arms, rear bushings, sways; strut brace; shocks & springs from Ground Control, the well known suspension house actively involving in racing.

And why Koni's w/BMW springs came to mind.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-08-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Our D has a standard suspension. it is better than the vast majority of cars on the road. It is nothing like a Camry. It is not as good as the sport pkg on my other car. Who ever said the sport suspension on the f30 is like the non sport on the e9x is pretty close to the mark imho. N4S
Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Our D has a standard suspension. it is better than the vast majority of cars on the road. It is nothing like a Camry. It is not as good as the sport pkg on my other car. Who ever said the sport suspension on the f30 is like the non sport on the e9x is pretty close to the mark imho. N4S
+1 The standard E90 suspension is worlds apart from something like a Camry. I'm not even sure how some on here can compare the two. The ride/handling balance is near perfect IMO, there is very little body roll and it is very composed over uneven road and at high speeds.

I think OP should just test drive and experience the difference for himself. I have a Sport Pack equipped E90 and while I love it, it can get a bit harsh especially with the craptastic run flats.

08' E90 335i, Sport, Premium, Logic 7, 6-spd
01' 330i TiAG, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, 5spd - R.I.P 04/12- gone but not forgotten.

Last edited by kunal_D; 11-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post

N4S, I feel you should know, and before this goes much further, the shocking truth: Toyota has rebadged standard suspension F30's as the nextgen Camry.

I know. I know!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:46 AM
BMW Parts Guy

Mein Auto: e39/e38/austin healey/jag
2009 BMW M3 - Rear Sway Bar

2009 BMW M3 - Rear Suspension

The parts are available if you wanted to purchase them after the fact. I wouldn't let the firmness of the suspension deter you from buying the car that you want.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@SAtlBMW View Post
2009 BMW M3 - Rear Sway Bar

2009 BMW M3 - Rear Suspension

The parts are available if you wanted to purchase them after the fact. I wouldn't let the firmness of the suspension deter you from buying the car that you want.

Prerequisite for BMW M3 REAR SWAY: LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL

Otherwise wheel hop will be a new reality.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:

Out engineering the engineers who designed the suspension on the E9x is about as much of an achievement as being a better musician than Kanye West.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_D View Post
+1 The standard E90 suspension is worlds apart from something like a Camry. I'm not even sure how some on here can compare the two. The ride/handling balance is near perfect IMO, there is very little body roll and it is very composed over uneven road and at high speeds.

I think OP should just test drive and experience the difference for himself. I have a Sport Pack equipped E90 and while I love it, it can get a bit harsh especially with the craptastic run flats.
Yes, this is a very good post Kunal

I have a 330i ZHP I was driving twice a week to NJ for a teaching gig. I garaged it in favor of a Mercedes E320 I was able to get a great deal on.

Why?

The ride was punishing ... I love my ZHP and will keep it a long time (only 48k miles), but heavy 18's over low profile tires are not conducive to any kind of NYC metro area commuting - even over non run-flats. The Merc makes this trip a breeze.

Owners should really consider the type of driving they'll be doing and where they live - if you live in the south where the roads are smooth and you think you must have a sports package, go for it, but I'd argue for the majority of drivers, the standard BMW setup likely provides just the right amount of comfort and feel - most drivers think their cars handle "better" with SP, but the truth is they're no where close to the handling limits of their cars with either SP or the standard setup - nor should they be.

In fact, most people can't even drive a Nissan Cube near its limits. Many SP's are about marketing more than anything else.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:

I have a 330i ZHP I was driving twice a week to NJ for a teaching gig. I garaged it in favor of a Mercedes E320 I was able to get a great deal on.

Why?

The ride was punishing ... I love my ZHP and will keep it a long time (only 48k miles), but heavy 18's over low profile tires are not conducive to any kind of NYC metro area commuting - even over non run-flats. The Merc makes this trip a breeze.

Owners should really consider the type of driving they'll be doing and where they live - if you live in the south where the roads are smooth and you think you must have a sports package, go for it, but I'd argue for the majority of drivers, the standard BMW setup likely provides just the right amount of comfort and feel - most drivers think their cars handle "better" with SP, but the truth is they're no where close to the handling limits of their cars with either SP or the standard setup - nor should they be.

In fact, most people can't even drive a Nissan Cube near its limits. Many SP's are about marketing more than anything else.
We test drove cars with both the regular and sport suspension and preferred the sport suspension. The difference could be felt at normal speeds well below the limits of the car. The standard suspension car drove very well but did not feel as planted and connected to the road as the car with the sport suspension.

We opted for the sports suspension, ordered our 2007 335i Cabrio with sport suspension and had no issues with it in South Florida where the car was purchased. After we had the car shipped to our home in Manhattan we were totally unprepared for how unsuitable it was for New York City roads. The car was for all practical purposes undriveable in NYC. The ride was not only punishing, the car would break (bubbled tires, bent rims) when it hit a pot hole, construction plate, frost heave, etc. It was also not able to keep the tires in contact with the pavement on poor roads which made the car rather scary to drive hard as the rear wheels would bounce around and the rear end would start to step out. The situation was vastly improved by getting rid of the RFTs and replacing the OEM shocks with Koni FSDs.

Based on that experience if you are regularly driving in an area with bad roads I would recommend the standard suspension unless you are willing to change out the tires and the shocks on the sport suspension.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:

Why?

The ride was punishing ... I love my ZHP and will keep it a long time (only 48k miles), but heavy 18's over low profile tires are not conducive to any kind of NYC metro area commuting - even over non run-flats.
I got rid of my OEM 18" ZHP wheels when I bought it, in favor of 17" OZs, the ride is better, although I did it like you said, for potholes. Koni FSDs helped even more with the ride.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
N4S, I feel you should know, and before this goes much further, the shocking truth: Toyota has rebadged standard suspension F30's as the nextgen Camry.

I know. I know!
Not much BMW does these days would shock me. N4S
Old 11-11-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
I actually just did a total refresh of my non-sport E90 330i suspension and tires within past year

Bilstein Touring Shocks (same as BMW factory shocks but Bilstein valving) w/ strut hats
Meyle HD front Control/Tension Arms
Meyle HD sway bar links
Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP Run Flat

The ride and control is totally transformed. The first thing that went on were the shocks and tires. Boy, what a freaking difference. The Bilstein valving was so much better then BMW spec and new generation run flats are very good. Control arms and sway bar end links stiffened steering and added feel with no loss in comfort. I kept stock springs and kept the ride height (I chose non-sport on purpose). The car rides better then when the orig suspension was new. No pothole explosions, just solid thuds now over bumps. Its a great daily driver in the city flicking through the gears just like my old E46 now. Like seriously, if I was filmed driving this thing now, I would probably be seen smiling the entire time.

I drove the F30 non-sport as a loaner. Its really spongy compared to the my current setup. Im quite happy with the setup now and the replacement parts were quality and "cheap".

Last edited by bluskye; 11-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Had Dinan Stage 3 suspension... My M3 s*** allllllllllllllllll over it.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 11-11-2013 at 02:13 PM.