Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Grinding noise while turning

Today I hit a pretty good pothole. After that I noticed a grinding noise that appears to be coming from the right front of the car. It only occurs when I make turns at slow speeds (5-15 mph). The noise is more pronounced when turning right and only under acceleration. When doing normal highway speeds it is straight as an arrows and no noise or vibrations at all. I ran on a few on ramps that have a sharp curves and no problems.

I took off the right front tire and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. Also crawled under the car and all seemed fine.

Some history, I just replaced all the brakes and rotors about 2 weeks/300 miles ago. Did not notice any problems until after the pothole though. Also not sure if it's just me, but it appears there is more grinding when the car is cold. When I drive it a few minutes the noise seems to lessen slightly.

The car is going in for a state inspection next week, so I will have it looked at. Just looking to see if anyone had this problem in the past or any preliminary diagnosis. I will post what the garage finds.

It's a 2008 328xi with 59,000 miles.

Thanks

2008 / Black Sapphire Metallic / Beige Dakota / Cold / Prem / Nav / Steptronic
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Well I haven't driven the car since I discovered this problem. When I went to take it to the mechanic last night I started it and it really idled rough and was noisy. I let it idle for a minute and it smoothed out a little, but could tell something was wrong. While driving over to the garage I experienced the same problem of a vibration while turning under power. When the car was driven at higher speeds it was just fine.

I explained the problem to my mechanic and he said he will look at it tomorrow. I called this afternoon and the mechanic said he did not notice any vibration and he took it out for a ride twice.

I have not picked it up yet, but I was thinking of just taking right to the dealer. Was doing some research today and what I was originally thinking was a wheel bearing, I'm now thinking motor mount.

I'll update this when I find out more in case anyone else has this problem.

Cheers

Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
My bet is a failing wheel bearing.

Does the noise get worse when turning one way or the other?

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 PM

That's what I was originally thinking and yes when you turn right it is more noticable. But what got me is the recent start ups where it was louder than normal and was vibrating. Also, the noise inside the car was louder than standing outside. I really wasnt able to hear anything different standing outside.

Last edited by Black 328xi; 11-12-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Did you check the rotor brake shield?

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM

I made an appointment with the local Indy for tomorrow. My first garage failed miserably with finding the problem. I did not get charged, but how can you charge for something when you just blow the customer off. Anyway, I decided to pull the wheels one last time. Looked thoroughly at the suspension and nothing, then low and behold there it is. Two sheared off bolt heads. Motor mount bolts strike another owner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	407508

Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Car was fixed yesterday. 4 new bolts installed. $270. Not too shabby.

I actually think the car is riding smoother. I wonder if one bolt had been broken for a while.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
try to put come valeline around the rubber booth under the steering (inside the car) where columns touch the fire wall

happened to mine, some vaseline and quiet like a baby now
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car