Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: GMC Denali / 335i Sedan
To Repair or To RUN 05 4.4i

Hey all... I really need someone's honest help with how I should proceed.

A few weeks ago I bought an 05 X5 4.4i completely decked out. Literally almost EVERY option (sport pack, premium pack, pano roof, nav, heated steering wheel, parking sensors, etc.). It had extremely low mileage for an '05 (55k) and I got it at a fairly decent price (or so I thought). Against my better judgment, I bought it even though it had the check engine light on because the private seller I bought it from took it and got the code checked as "Camshaft sensor bank 2." Spent about $300 so far for the camshaft sensor and found that the error code still came up. Spent another $200 for a complete oil change engine flush kit because my mechanic said that was the first thing to try before taking the engine apart. (I've been taking all my BMWs and MBs to this guy for 10+ years so I feel like I can trust him). Basically he found the cause of the problem and it seems to be a big one

After looking into the engine the mechanic found that one of the time chain guides has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Labor ate up the most of his breakdown in the estimate but including everything he said I'm looking at upwards of $6k to take the engine out to access the time chain guides and get them back in place.

Other than that, it also does that insane jerking thing that I've seen other people say they have problems with as well when you accelerate from a rolling stop so that needs to be checked into as well.

Someone suggested to me that I buy an aftermarket warranty from Route66 or AAA or something similar and wait a month or so and see if they'll cover it.

I bought it for $13k so dumping a total of $19k into this car just seems like too much, but I'm worried that I can't get any of that money back if I try and sell it.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations????? I'm so lost!!!
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by denali335 View Post
Hey all... I really need someone's honest help with how I should proceed.

A few weeks ago I bought an 05 X5 4.4i completely decked out. Literally almost EVERY option (sport pack, premium pack, pano roof, nav, heated steering wheel, parking sensors, etc.). It had extremely low mileage for an '05 (55k) and I got it at a fairly decent price (or so I thought). Against my better judgment, I bought it even though it had the check engine light on because the private seller I bought it from took it and got the code checked as "Camshaft sensor bank 2." Spent about $300 so far for the camshaft sensor and found that the error code still came up. Spent another $200 for a complete oil change engine flush kit because my mechanic said that was the first thing to try before taking the engine apart. (I've been taking all my BMWs and MBs to this guy for 10+ years so I feel like I can trust him). Basically he found the cause of the problem and it seems to be a big one

After looking into the engine the mechanic found that one of the time chain guides has gone bad and needs to be replaced. Labor ate up the most of his breakdown in the estimate but including everything he said I'm looking at upwards of $6k to take the engine out to access the time chain guides and get them back in place.

Other than that, it also does that insane jerking thing that I've seen other people say they have problems with as well when you accelerate from a rolling stop so that needs to be checked into as well.

Someone suggested to me that I buy an aftermarket warranty from Route66 or AAA or something similar and wait a month or so and see if they'll cover it.

I bought it for $13k so dumping a total of $19k into this car just seems like too much, but I'm worried that I can't get any of that money back if I try and sell it.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations????? I'm so lost!!!
At this point you will have to cough out $6k either you sell it as is or fix it; so the question is can you trust your mechanic to tell you what else is wrong with the car.
The jerkiness, can be just need S/W update or something deeper and costlier like xfer-case or transmission (clutch pack, torque converter, blown mechatronic etc).

Not a very clear-cut yes or no answer, sorry.