Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix GT
Thrilled To (Finally) Join GT Club!

Been searching for months, and equivocating over splurging for new, or going conservative with a decent pre-owned.

Decision was, um, "strongly influenced" by the wife, who spied a 2011 CPO with her preferred color combo (Dark Graphite with Everest Gray interior), with a great price to boot. Cold weather and convenience packages, sat/nav, rear-view camera. Would have liked Premium audio, but it'll have to wait for our next one.

Needless to say, we absolutely love it. Drives like a dream, and I've got all kinds of room (I'm six-four), even in the back (son is six-two). Looking forward to many years of miles and smiles. Pics to follow.

Thanks to all in the forum for the great info, especially Fish23 and jadnash for their insights when I first signed up in the spring. (Quite the spanking the Sens laid on my Wings a few weeks back, Fish! Think they may have had some special motivation for any particular reason?)

WW

Last edited by WingedWheel; 11-09-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
It's a nice car, and one of the few I fit into comfortably. If you have the time and opt for a new one, consider European delivery should you buy a new one at some point...it is a great experience. Also, you have the option of having it redelivered at the Performance Center rather than the dealer at no extra cost, which is also eye-opening (some track time in a similar vehicle, a factory tour, and an intro to your car - abbreviated if you've already had it from European delivery). Includes hotel and meals for two, but you have to get there and drive it home.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Isn't there a 12 hour compliance rule where you have to post pictures of your GT within 12 hours of getting it?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Thanks, jad. I've heard great things about European delivery as well as the Performance Center experience in SC.

Separate question: do you have a cargo liner? If so, what do you recommend? I've heard horror stories associated with spilled liquids and resulting damage to the electrical system. My Weathertech liner just arrived, and it doesn't fit (prevents the liftgate from closing), even though I was careful to order one specifically for my 2011 GT. Probably will send it back, but not sure if the mat from BMW USA will offer enough protection (and the price tag for the "tray" is $300).

WW
Old 11-09-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Isn't there a 12 hour compliance rule where you have to post pictures of your GT within 12 hours of getting it?
Indeed. [Hangs head in shame ...]

Weather permitting, I shall remedy this tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel View Post
...Separate question: do you have a cargo liner? If so, what do you recommend? ...
Search on "Cargo Mat". I decided to go with the BMW standard liner after 9 years of one of those liners with a lip on it. Every time the seats went down, it's a pain for stuff that crosses it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-09-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT XDrive
Congrats to you! I'm I recently joined the club as we'll with a late 2011 550iGT with 25k mi, BSM under matte white 3M wrap... Sport with 20" black powder coated wheels, Executive, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Convenience, Camera, and Rear Entertainment pkgs... Check out my gallery for pics and definitely post some of you own. Have loved the GT ever since it's debut despite what all the naysayers (F10 owners in their pedestrian sedans) say. Nice to see another new GT owner enthusiastic about the car... I too plan on owning many futures generations!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:05 PM

I have the WeatherTec liner. It may help if you get it nice and warm first - being bent up in shipping tends to give it a set that goes away if it gets warm - it fits okay once you do that, at least mine did - cold weather doesn't help, but once it's in, and sees a hot day, it seems to stay. It does need to sit really tight against the seat divider, or the rear sticks out too far. Mine's also a 2011 (535i X-drive).

There's a difference in the transmission hump between the rear-drive and x-drive, so if you wanted their mats, the rear ones fit, but the driver's side doesn't (at least on the liners, their mats, maybe). I ended up with the BMW mats for the front, and have the WeatherTec ones in the rear.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT XDrive
Comfort access is awesome. *yell* "you don't need to slam the door... It's 'soft close!'"
Old 11-10-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Search on "Cargo Mat". I decided to go with the BMW standard liner after 9 years of one of those liners with a lip on it. Every time the seats went down, it's a pain for stuff that crosses it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks -- much better price than on the BMW USA site.

Here she is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	535i GT.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	406760  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I have the WeatherTec liner. It may help if you get it nice and warm first - being bent up in shipping tends to give it a set that goes away if it gets warm - it fits okay once you do that, at least mine did - cold weather doesn't help, but once it's in, and sees a hot day, it seems to stay. It does need to sit really tight against the seat divider, or the rear sticks out too far. Mine's also a 2011 (535i X-drive).

There's a difference in the transmission hump between the rear-drive and x-drive, so if you wanted their mats, the rear ones fit, but the driver's side doesn't (at least on the liners, their mats, maybe). I ended up with the BMW mats for the front, and have the WeatherTec ones in the rear.
Thanks -- great tips, as always. I warmed up the WeatherTec overnight inside the house, and it does fit much better (I now at least can close the tailgate.) Definitely going to get some floor mats, as well. Our Michigan winters probably aren't too dissimilar from those in NH.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Thrilled To (Finally) Join GT Club!

WW, great pic. (Ernest should be happy now). Looks like mine except the wheels are different. Well done to your better half for the eagle eye. Mine spotted her first 335 and her latest one with her somilar eye. I enjoyed her first so much I longed for my own Beemer and I ended up with my GT (and on this forum).

I appreciate the nod for my previous remarks. I am most happy to be of help and to repay, in a small way, the many benefits that this forum has provided to me.

Among its many features, you won't regret the GT's x-drive especially when the white stuff starts falling. Here where I live, our cable provider uses the feeds from Detroit TV stations for the four main US networks. Thus I often see your weather and it can be messy like ours. We usually get what you get only later. Just make sure you have good winter tires for all the good reasons you can find in the F07 and other forums. You will love how sure-footed the GT in snow.

The one time I drove in a snowstorm on a stretch of Ontario's highway 401 (our interstate equivalent) just after Christmas last year, I was able to fly down the fast lane at the speed limit (62 mph) and never felt danger and passed what few other drivers there were in the other lane driving far slower on a cleaner surface. My better half was with me and not once did she suggest I slow down meaning she did not feel unsafe. If she did she would have said something.

Yes that was a good game by the Sens against the Wings that night. It was (and seems still is) the Sens' best game if the year so far. Perhaps it was motivated a bit by playing against Alfie though no player would admit it.

I hope you and your family enjoy many safe and happy miles in your GT (and that you will share your feedback on this 'channel'.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-10-2013, 06:05 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Very nice! Congrats and welcome aboard, I look forward to many years of discussions learning about the maintenance nuances in our futures!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM

Here's the BMW 2012 GT mat in the 2014 GT from Amazon. It has a small lip around the edge but not the type that will be in the way yet will retain small liquid spills. Except for 1 1/2" gap at the seats, it fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010032_bmwcargomat.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	407070  
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Very nice! Congrats and welcome aboard, I look forward to many years of discussions learning about the maintenance nuances in our futures!
Thanks! Certainly look forward to swapping future "care and feeding" tales. Must confess that I'm jealous of your DFW locale. I'm guessing you don't have to worry about decisions like my next one: which set of rims for my winter tires ...
Old 11-17-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Here's the BMW 2012 GT mat in the 2014 GT from Amazon. It has a small lip around the edge but not the type that will be in the way yet will retain small liquid spills. Except for 1 1/2" gap at the seats, it fits perfectly.
Thanks -- that's a perfect fit, indeed -- and much better than my current WeatherTech.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
WW, great pic. (Ernest should be happy now). Looks like mine except the wheels are different. Well done to your better half for the eagle eye. Mine spotted her first 335 and her latest one with her somilar eye. I enjoyed her first so much I longed for my own Beemer and I ended up with my GT (and on this forum).

I appreciate the nod for my previous remarks. I am most happy to be of help and to repay, in a small way, the many benefits that this forum has provided to me.

Among its many features, you won't regret the GT's x-drive especially when the white stuff starts falling. Here where I live, our cable provider uses the feeds from Detroit TV stations for the four main US networks. Thus I often see your weather and it can be messy like ours. We usually get what you get only later. Just make sure you have good winter tires for all the good reasons you can find in the F07 and other forums. You will love how sure-footed the GT in snow.

The one time I drove in a snowstorm on a stretch of Ontario's highway 401 (our interstate equivalent) just after Christmas last year, I was able to fly down the fast lane at the speed limit (62 mph) and never felt danger and passed what few other drivers there were in the other lane driving far slower on a cleaner surface. My better half was with me and not once did she suggest I slow down meaning she did not feel unsafe. If she did she would have said something.

Yes that was a good game by the Sens against the Wings that night. It was (and seems still is) the Sens' best game if the year so far. Perhaps it was motivated a bit by playing against Alfie though no player would admit it.

I hope you and your family enjoy many safe and happy miles in your GT (and that you will share your feedback on this 'channel'.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thanks, Fish. Certainly will share my feedback/experiences regarding ownership and maintenance. First two items on my list are the winter tires and a good detailing to protect the paint from our Michigan winter. Will eventually get around to the coding exercise, but most of my current settings generally are okay for now.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:44 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel View Post
Thanks! Certainly look forward to swapping future "care and feeding" tales. Must confess that I'm jealous of your DFW locale. I'm guessing you don't have to worry about decisions like my next one: which set of rims for my winter tires ...
Indeed, it's funny to live in a place that makes a huge deal about frosts and freezes, lol! Although they haven't seemed to master the art of a smooth transition from road to bridges. I could live with it if it was high to low but my perception is it's always low to high. I think the dealers have paid off the road workers to get more $$ out of repairs...
Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 PM

IT seems the smoothness of the roads is very much in how the state or locale writes up their contracts. I live in NH, and any state roadwork has a clause in it defining how flat it must be, and in general, our roads are decent. Just south of me in MA, they have no such clause, and while many of the roads are flat, they wobble side to side with lots of dips and the bridge junctions are often lousy...what they save in construction costs, is more than eaten up by people's suspension wear and tear (at least if they care about how the car handles!).

As to winter tires, while you may find a good deal locally, the simplest thing is TireRack. I have a set of Michelin PA2's in RFT configuration on 18" tires complete with a set of TPMS that I swap for the colder months, and find that their handling is okay, but the ride and noise levels are actually somewhat better than the stock tires. You will notice it isn't as sharp in handling, but it's not bad, and often, in the winter, you shouldn't be going fast enough around a corner to really notice. The fuel economy does go down a bit, as they do not roll as efficiently. A small price to pay for the increased grip and safety IMHO. You really should consider going with the smaller wheel for the winter - you'll be less likely to crack a wheel on a pothole, and they do slice through snow better.

I also bought some McGard SL series wheel locking bolts. These are not sold by McGard in the USA, so you have to order them elsewhere. In a 'theft' test for a UK magazine, they took the longest for thieves to defeat (5-minutes, and it took a powered impact wrench), where some were removed in as little as 30-seconds with hand tools. About the same costs as the BMW locks, if you can find someone who doesn't charge exorbitant prices to ship.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 11-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
Going to jump in here and bump this thread up instead of starting my own thread just for rubber mats. With the winter season coming up, I would like to ask you guys about your experience with rubber floor mats for GT owners out there (F07 RWD). It seems like from many other drivers, especially in the snowy areas of the country, you can't do any better than Weathertech digital fit liners when it comes to protecting the interior floors.

My dealership (BMW SF) is running a 20% discount on OEM accessories right now. If my research is correct, that would bring a set of rubber BMW liners for the front, back and cargo to around $200 +tax versus roughly $310 for the Weathertech digitalfit and cargo liner.

I think it makes total sense to just go with the BMW rubber mats...anyone feel strongly one way or another? Thanks for your help!

P.S. Congrats to WingedWheels on the new (to you) GT! I'm jealous about the x-drive. I have a feeling that settling for the RWD will prevent me from taking my GT up to Tahoe on powder days. But it was the only one on the lot. No regrets!

ErnestHoust - Is the pic you posted the cargo mat you linked to from amazon? Your pic looks totally different from what is on amazon or the bmw site! How misleading...but I actually like that it has the lip to keep fluids in the rubber. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryninja View Post
... Is the pic you posted the cargo mat you linked to from amazon? Your pic looks totally different from what is on amazon or the bmw site! How misleading...but I actually like that it has the lip to keep fluids in the rubber. Thanks!
That is the BMW mat I linked to on Amazon. I was also glad it had a small lip. I am curious if BMW moved the rear seat forward 1 and 1/2 inches in the 2014 or if that's the BMW design to leave a gap.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:09 PM

It also somewhat depends on what color mat you want. I do not know if they made any structural changes to the passenger compartment that may affect the Weathertec liners. I know originally, they had not measured an x-drive, and when I bought a set, the driver's side did not fit (all other positions did, though). The trunk on the GT is different for 2014, and no idea (haven't seen one) if there's a difference in the liners. A good way to check is to go to the BMW website, try say a 2013 for the trunk liner, then switch to a 2014 and see if the part numbers are the same or not.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I... A good way to check is to go to the BMW website, try say a 2013 for the trunk liner, then switch to a 2014 and see if the part numbers are the same or not.
I did that before buying it. The part numbers are the same.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT
Went to the dealership today where they were advertising a 20% discount on all accessories. Their quote ended up being the same as what is on the website. I wonder if the website prices are retail or if it already has the 20% baked in. If not, I'm going to ask the guy what the deal is and try to strongarm him into giving me a better discount.

Considering some people can get these thrown in with the car sale, hopefully the dealership will have some sort of flex in their prices.

The weathertech mats look rugged, but I think it would just be nice to have the mats say "BMW" on them. I feel like the weathertech mats belong in my brother's pickup truck or an X5 with xdrive. Sadly...I do not own either. I'll just have to settle with my luxurious GT. Woe is me...
Old 11-23-2013, 05:44 PM

The fine print on the BMW website indicates that the dealership part prices may be different. I find that kind of annoying. There are places online where you can buy original parts/accessories at a fair discount, but then sometimes, their shipping costs can make it more or diminish the savings.