Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
Engine Surge-Rough after hard stop

Hi Folks,

Need some advice. 2009 335xi, about 60k miles, all dealer service, had all the usual FP and software updates.

Have been beating on the brakes a bit to try and wear them down a bit faster to get a new complete set under extended Maint. Also have done a few track days. That helps a lot! In any case, around town, with a warm engine, I carry lots of speed up to stops and then brake hard as you would coming into a corner on a track. Except since it is the city, unfortunately, I actually have to stop. 2-3 seconds after fully stopping, the engine bucks, and surges, and then returns to smooth idle.

Don't have a code reader and don't want to go pay to get it read if possible. Any ideas? Would like to have knowledge before going in and tried searching for this and find nothing.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBimmer335 View Post
Hi Folks,

Need some advice. 2009 335xi, about 60k miles, all dealer service, had all the usual FP and software updates.

Have been beating on the brakes a bit to try and wear them down a bit faster to get a new complete set under extended Maint. Also have done a few track days. That helps a lot! In any case, around town, with a warm engine, I carry lots of speed up to stops and then brake hard as you would coming into a corner on a track. Except since it is the city, unfortunately, I actually have to stop. 2-3 seconds after fully stopping, the engine bucks, and surges, and then returns to smooth idle.

Don't have a code reader and don't want to go pay to get it read if possible. Any ideas? Would like to have knowledge before going in and tried searching for this and find nothing.

Ahhhhhh, 60k miles you say?

You really should read more.....
Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Ahhhhhh, 60k miles you say?

You really should read more.....
Yup, saw that while searching.

Was wondering about that. Just can't see the correlation between what others are saying on that issue and coming to a hard stop to create the symptom. Or, are you saying that no matter what instigates it, it is still the same issue?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Yup, saw that while searching.

Was wondering about that. Just can't see the correlation between what others are saying on that issue and coming to a hard stop to create the symptom. Or, are you saying that no matter what instigates it, it is still the same issue?

Regardless, you're due!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:16 AM

Hi Folks,

Wanted to bring this back to the top again. Anyone else have any ideas on this? I did have an indy shop who I trust read the codes on this and all I have going on at the moment is a dirty cam sensor. Already had the VANOS solenoids replaced by the dealer under warranty.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Wanted to bring this back to the top again. Anyone else have any ideas on this? I did have an indy shop who I trust read the codes on this and all I have going on at the moment is a dirty cam sensor. Already had the VANOS solenoids replaced by the dealer under warranty.

Dirty how?

Eccentric Cam Sensor Maint

Blast valves yet?
Old 04-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Not that sensor, the two cam position sensors for the vanos solenoids. On the front of the motor, very easy to remove. Pulled out, cleaned surface of crud, swapped, replaced. Will see if code moves from one side to other.

No, didn't do the blast. Indy I was talking with said he considers it "agressive" maintenance. Only to do if I see really meaningful running changes. Consider him to be pretty solid engine guy. Always a heavy stream of cars in front of his place. He said he would take my money to do it, but, wouldn't do it on his own car for what I describe. He hadn't seen the symptom I describe before but again, said unless it starts throwing codes, or causes other issues, he doesn't think I should start running up a tab with him troubleshooting.

Kinda like his honesty. So, for the moment, it is a curiosity which is why I am throwing the net out again to see if anyone has ideas.

Track day season is approaching, so, maybe with some more flogging of the horses I will expose something else.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Alfa Romeo, Datsun,
15,500 mile oil changes are absoluetly rediculous. I've replaced more vanos units and other sludge related repairs because of this. My customers are all on a 5-7500 oil service interval. I have pictures of an N51 with only 50k. on it that was so sludged up it looked like black spackle or nasty pudding. There is no substitute for "reasonable" service intervals. Just my 2 cents. Consider the cost of sludge related repairs to these engines.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 AM

Yeah, my guy agrees about that.