Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
rumblin70ss rumblin70ss is offline
Registered User
Location: Newark, DE
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 335XI
New 335XI Owner

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first BMW the other day, a 2008 335XI. I've been around cars for a long time, mostly GM products, but this is my first family vehicle as my wife and I are having a child in February.

I'm sure I will have a ton of questions and any advice from the experts here is appreciated!

Tony
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM
twhisten twhisten is offline
Drive it like u stole it!
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 781
Mein Auto: 2013 M3
Congrats!!! Post pics.........
__________________


1997 328i- retired
2007 328i- retired- lease
2006 330xi- retired
2011 335xi-PCD-12/13/10 - DINAN3-----retired
2013 M3-Laguna Seca-6 speed-EDC

2006 X5- retired
2011 X5- retired- buy back

bmw cca#443379
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 PM
rumblin70ss rumblin70ss is offline
Registered User
Location: Newark, DE
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 335XI
Thanks!!

It's about as boring as you can get......lol. Might need some new wheels since the last owner used them as curb feelers





Tony
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Crzy'boutBimmer Crzy'boutBimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 481
Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
Re: New 335XI Owner

Nice car.. congrats... what are the interiors?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

2013 335i M-sport xDrive 'Superman Combo'
Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Premium, Technology, Sport auto, Rear-view camera, Park Distance Control, HK
ED: May 28, 2013
Redelivery: Aug 12, 2013
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 PM
rumblin70ss rumblin70ss is offline
Registered User
Location: Newark, DE
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 335XI
Thanks!!

Here's some interior shots..







Tony
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:27 PM
KenGo KenGo is offline
Registered User
Location: Detroit Area
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi '07
Hi Tony - I put a deposit on the same ride ('07 with 68k miles) this past Saturday. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and decide on an extended warranty through the BMW dealer. Did you purchase an extended warranty? I'm on the fence...

Thanks,

Ken
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 PM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,104
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
^ There are sooooooo many helpful DIY's on this car here and especially on e90post, so if you know what you're doing around a car, you can fix almost anything on the car with help online.

Personally I'd get one if I could, but I'd say its probably not worth it. Cars are running on stock internals well into the 600whp ranges with upgraded turbos, things are for the most part bulletproof (unless you get a dud lmao)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2013, 06:58 PM
rumblin70ss rumblin70ss is offline
Registered User
Location: Newark, DE
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 335XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGo View Post
Hi Tony - I put a deposit on the same ride ('07 with 68k miles) this past Saturday. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and decide on an extended warranty through the BMW dealer. Did you purchase an extended warranty? I'm on the fence...

Thanks,

Ken
Ken,

I bought mine from a private owner and it was a CPO car that has 10k left on the warranty. I figure that will give me enough time to work the bugs out. I've had GM cars all my life so I'm used to fixing things

If you're not a DIY kinda guy the warranty may be a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
^ There are sooooooo many helpful DIY's on this car here and especially on e90post, so if you know what you're doing around a car, you can fix almost anything on the car with help online.

Personally I'd get one if I could, but I'd say its probably not worth it. Cars are running on stock internals well into the 600whp ranges with upgraded turbos, things are for the most part bulletproof (unless you get a dud lmao)
That's good to hear! I've heard about the hpfp/injector issues and those are the only ones that make me nervous. Time will tell though

We will definitely be doing some mods

Tony

Last edited by rumblin70ss; 11-11-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,104
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblin70ss View Post
That's good to hear! I've heard about the hpfp/injector issues and those are the only ones that make me nervous. Time will tell though

We will definitely be doing some mods

Tony
Injectors are a PITA but again if you know what you're doing under the hood you can save big. Also those will depend largely on modding if you're just running stock expect to have zero problems if you're running moderately modded (meaning less than 450whp/470wtrq which most are) it would probably shave a few k off the injectors lives (I ran up almost 40k on my 335i and had one injector replaced and did 5k of HARD miles on a tune car was running fine).

HPFP is a joke and the fear is simply a byproduct of old threads when it was an actual problem (notice how you only see people who got lucky and had an original one failing posting threads and its not in droves, and most of the cars are running high mods so that shouldn't concern you at all).


Other than that enjoy the car and enjoy being able to get 400+whp for under 3k I miss that most.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:40 PM
KenGo KenGo is offline
Registered User
Location: Detroit Area
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi '07
Thanks for the advice Tony. I'm not a DIY'er. I bought the warranty. Got them to come down on the price.
Picked it up last night. Can't wait to get it out on the open road. Got some legs!

Ken
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM
sea6speed's Avatar
sea6speed sea6speed is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle WA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 2011 135i 6MT
New 335XI Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblin70ss View Post
Ken,

I bought mine from a private owner and it was a CPO car that has 10k left on the warranty. I figure that will give me enough time to work the bugs out. I've had GM cars all my life so I'm used to fixing things

If you're not a DIY kinda guy the warranty may be a good choice.



That's good to hear! I've heard about the hpfp/injector issues and those are the only ones that make me nervous. Time will tell though

We will definitely be doing some mods

Tony
I'm not sure how well a newborn and DIYing a 90k mile 3 series is going to work out. You're close to the point where maintenance and repairs transition from hobby to occupation.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 PM
rumblin70ss rumblin70ss is offline
Registered User
Location: Newark, DE
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 335XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Injectors are a PITA but again if you know what you're doing under the hood you can save big. Also those will depend largely on modding if you're just running stock expect to have zero problems if you're running moderately modded (meaning less than 450whp/470wtrq which most are) it would probably shave a few k off the injectors lives (I ran up almost 40k on my 335i and had one injector replaced and did 5k of HARD miles on a tune car was running fine).

HPFP is a joke and the fear is simply a byproduct of old threads when it was an actual problem (notice how you only see people who got lucky and had an original one failing posting threads and its not in droves, and most of the cars are running high mods so that shouldn't concern you at all).


Other than that enjoy the car and enjoy being able to get 400+whp for under 3k I miss that most.
I'm not going to do too much, probably a cold air kit and a tune once it's out of warranty. It is the wife's car

Alot of the threads I see on injectors and the hpfp are old so hopefully the bugs are worked out. If not we will deal with the issues as they come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGo View Post
Thanks for the advice Tony. I'm not a DIY'er. I bought the warranty. Got them to come down on the price.
Picked it up last night. Can't wait to get it out on the open road. Got some legs!

Ken
No problem and I think you made the right decision for you Ken. The last thing you want is to buy a car and have repairs eat up all the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea6speed View Post
I'm not sure how well a newborn and DIYing a 90k mile 3 series is going to work out. You're close to the point where maintenance and repairs transition from hobby to occupation.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
This will be the wife's car and work is only 15 miles each way. She might even be working from home by then and we will rent a vehicle for long trips. We will play it by ear and if it gets to be too much of a hassle we'll have to make a decision.

I always have to keep my mechanic of a cat busy though.....here he is performing maintenance on the Chevelle



Tony
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM
KenGo KenGo is offline
Registered User
Location: Detroit Area
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: BMW 335xi '07
My new (used) baby

The dakota leather with the sport package got me... I only drive 10k miles a year. This may increase my annual though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 11.30.11 PM.png
Views:	35
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	407161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 11.37.54 PM.png
Views:	44
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	407162  
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM
rumblin70ss rumblin70ss is offline
Registered User
Location: Newark, DE
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: 335XI
Looking good Ken!! I really like the interior!!

Tony
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Vanos4:12PM's Avatar
Vanos4:12PM Vanos4:12PM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: nashville, TN
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,588
Mein Auto: 2011 328 Saloon
Yummy!!
__________________
2011 328i Sedan/6sp mt/Jet Black/Black/Dark Walnut/ZSP/ZPP/Htd seats/steering wheel/rear shades/HK/Sat radio
1997 328i - gone "my first love"
BMWCCA # 367299

ED - 5.14.10
ED Drop off - 5.22.10
Car arrived in Brunswick, GA - 6.21.10
Released from Customs - 6.25.10
PCD Redelivery - 7.12.10

Picking up the car at the Welt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Ulzi58u6I
My 140MPH A92 run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRej5VEQpmc



ED May 14, 2010
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms