Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Billy Rose III

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Fan sounds its working too hard....

Not sure what the part is actually called, but when I turn the car on, it sounds like a fan or air intake is working really hard, the sound is like a strong ventilation. Doesn't happen all the time, but has happened more often recently. Normal? Not? What's up. Thank you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ads by Google
Old 11-10-2013, 04:47 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Well in Hawii you know if the temps are warmer or cooler than normal. If they are about the same it sounds like either your tstat or water pump is going south. Most likely the water pump. Be careful to not let it totally fail on you if that is the case as it could strand you.
You symptoms are indicative of those two problems.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Billy Rose III

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330i
Fan sounds its working too hard....

Thank you but could you please tell me what tstat pump is? Not sure if that's a typo or if that's really what it's called. Thanks brotha

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-12-2013, 03:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Think he meant the thermostat
Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie06330i View Post
Not sure what the part is actually called, but when I turn the car on, it sounds like a fan or air intake is working really hard, the sound is like a strong ventilation. Doesn't happen all the time, but has happened more often recently. Normal? Not? What's up. Thank you.

Hard to say from available info. Checking stored computer codes reveals more.

However, you may do well by searching for your problem with Google. That'll cover all BMW boards and more in one stoke - powerful!

Overheating ever?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
If you radiator fan is screaming on start up or when you shut the engine off, this means there is an issue with your cooling system.

More often then not, it is your water pump that is failing. The DME will store a shadow fault when the water pump detects a reduced flow rate. Have codes pulled from the DME and look for this code.

Your Tstat could be stuck closed, but it's designed to fail open to prevent an overheat condition. I've only seen one case where the Tstat failed closed on the E9x chassis.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-13-2013, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Not sure if this car has two fans, but on my wife's Ford, one of the fans failed, so the remaining one defaulted to a high setting anytime the AC compressor operated- which is pretty often with the climate control set to full 'auto'. Sounded like a shop-vac. I realize its a long-shot, but just mentioning as a possibility. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: e90 325i
I don't think the thermostat on an e90 actually controls fan speed. I think it's temp. sensing ability is limited to itself to open/close a valve to direct flow. Also, I think fan speed is controlled by the computer based on a temperature sensor and the water pump is just a water pump, not a sensor. Try this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES34326/

also this

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES34327/

My fan use to do the same. I shot gunned it (at the time, it was $13 for one and $21 for the other) and replaced both of those sensors. One of them took care of the screaming fan. I am going to guess that when you shut the car off, one or both of these sensors is "stuck" (not sure that's correct) and will stay that way even when your engine goes dead cold overnight. When you start up again, the sensor is feeding old information to the fan as if your engine was hot, so the fan goes crazy.

If I were only replacing one of those, I'd replace the temp. sensor. Would assume since the fan turns on, then that means the aux fan switch works. For me, I think my fan was always on, no matter what. Was just very apparent on start up because you'd think the fan should not come on yet. So possibly the aux fan switch was stuck to always on.

Last edited by Herc130; 11-15-2013 at 08:46 PM.