Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Unhappy Have a frustrated problem with driving at morning

Hello Everybody

I'm new member in the forum

Just bought 2004 5X recently (Few weeks ago) and I have a little frustrating problem. When I turn on my car in the morning or after long parking (mainly more than 6-8 hrs), the car doesn't respond to my pedaling on the fuel. I keep pushing the fuel pedal for few seconds till it respond.

For me, it seems that the transmission doesn't pick up or link. Sorry.....I'm not expert or mechanic....

After that the car is ok!. Even if I turn off the car for few hours and drive again, the problem is not there as long as the stop is for few hours. The problem doesn't appear unless the car is parked for long time and cold....otherwise this specific problem is not there!!!

Also, I feel like the car is not picking up easily and not accelerating well....kinda heavy .... as if it is pulling or towing something heavy

I'm the second owner...and I called the first owner inquiring about such problem. He indicated that this is normal in BMW.....(sounds weird to me!!!). He said that when he bout it and found the problem from day one he took it to the dealer and they said it is normal and related to some hydraulic pressure built up in the morning. He recommended me to push the gas 3-4 times at the morning after turning the car on until it picks up

For me ....it is not normal..and not fun
I'm driving BMW not Fespa motorcycle... and BMW driving should be fun not pain in the neck

I'm really frustrated

Does anybody out there know about the problem and can help

Your recommendation and feedback is greatly appreciated

Thank you
Ads by Google
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
You may want to add more details as to WHICH X5 you have. There are multiple models, engines, transmissions...and you don't have a signature with your 2004 X5's complete description (model/model year/build date) ...nor do you have the info listed where it appears in the upper right of your posts.

Help us help you better...supply info more than just owning an X5...some things are very different between the 2004 3.0i/3.0d/4.4i/4.8is X5.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 04-08-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 3.0I
Like Qsilver7 suggested need more specifics and details like the milage on your car... but sounds like a fuel delivery problem... Fuel filter, fuel pump, injectors.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM

Sorry for the incomplete info
Have 2004 BMW X5 3.0i - 6 cylinders - 4DR AWD Automatic Transmission. Has almost 150 k km "NOT MILES)

Records of the car indicate that it has been maintained well at BMW dealership and all maintenance work done regularly "on time"

I asked the original owner about the problem and he said it has been since he got the car. As usual, the mechanic at the dealership told him that it is normal in the morning especially cold wheather because hydraulic pressure build up....or something like that...

Appreciate your feedback and help
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: cars
Your problem is in the transmission. It is a very common problem. Any BMW tech worth there weight in salt knows about it. It's an expensive fix, most people just choose to live with it. Excessive clearance in transmission causes tranny fluid to drain out of forward clutch thus causing a delayed engagement of drive. Should only occur once in the morning. Shouldn't get worse.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Thank you for the reply
It is really frustrating. The original owner should have informed me about it..... dishonesty is too bad
Old 11-09-2013, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 e53
2005 X5 3.0L E53, 5 sp auto, 105,000kms same prob

have you found anything else out about this problem? Mine has been doing this for about 6 months now and seems to be getting a little worse. Seems to still have power once the hydraulics are primed though, still pleantly of get up and go. Tow's my 18 ft boat just fine as well. My mechanic doesn't know what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated
Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 AM

It seems that nobody can give you a final answer. Worse, BMW dealers don't know nothing about the problem and they are using it to get buy more parts.

I bought the car from the first owner and it appeared with him few months after buying the car. He didn't tell me about it. When I asked him about the problem he indicated that he "Forgot" to tell me...real honest man

The problem still there and you need to live with it. It tends to get worse in Winter. In Summer, it is less. So it might have something with warming up the car.

Some people say it is electronic problems. Others say it is hydraulic/mechanic problem in the transmission. Other suggested it is software issue.......

Sorry for not being of great help....but this is the reality

I would suggest to anybody who is approaching or thinking buying BMW, not to do it...We are getting little support from the company after throwing their cars

I would recommend either Japanese or US cars
Old 11-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
just 1 question do you hear the engine rev high when you push on the gas ?also is it in drive or park?