Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 316i
BMW 2003 E46 316i timing chain replacement

Hello, I am a new member and need some help. My friends BMW timing chain has jumped somehow. When I crank the engine over I hear a crack and the chain at the top of the cams bows up. I assume it has jumped a link? Any suggestions on what would cause this? Any help would be much appreciated.
Carl
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Most of us on here are more familiar with the I6 engines: 323 325 330. In general, I think the timing chain guides and tensioner are plastic so one is most likely broken. I don't know that much about it so can't help much. Realoem.com has schematics that may help. Google timing chain for BMW 316 or 318 and you'll probably find something out there.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 PM

Google BMW 1.6

Thanks for your reply. I have googled. It seems the 1.6 is never covered. Even the Haynes Manuel's only covers 1.8 which is different.
Thanks anyway
Old 11-11-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by avpreacher View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have googled. It seems the 1.6 is never covered. Even the Haynes Manuel's only covers 1.8 which is different.
Thanks anyway
1,8 is not different, it's exactly the car.
You have 316i, but you don't have 1,6liter engine.
You can learn more about engine models and sizes from there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_%28E46%29

Timing chain can jump link, if tensioner is worn and not holding chain tight anymore.
Many people got full engine destruction that way, hopefully your engine can be still saved.

Last edited by lgr122; 11-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
1,8 is not different, it's exactly the car.
You have 316i, but you don't have 1,6liter engine.
You can learn more about engine models and sizes from there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_%28E46%29

Timing chain can jump link, if tensioner is worn and not holding chain tight anymore.
Many people got full engine destruction that way, hopefully your engine can be still saved.
Right..... and even if it were a 1.6 how different could it be, as both of them are the 4 cyl engine platform. Wouldn't make sense to make them too differently as the main difference would just be displacement either from bore or stroke.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
In year 2003
316i = 1,8 liter 4-cylinder
318i = 2,0 liter 4-cylinder

Before 2002 both had 1,9 liter 4-cylinder (like mine).
Don't expect that you know the engine according car model.
1,6 liter engine was used in e36 but not in e46.

Anyway for mechanic those 1,8 and 2,0 are all the same, one just happens to be little bit bigger inside.

Last edited by lgr122; 11-11-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:14 AM

BMW timing chain

I just found out that the engine size is a 1.8. I saw a picture of one that looked like it had two chains? Anyway, can you tell me if the valves could have been damaged? It looks as if the chain jumped a tooth or two. Should I replace the chain as well?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I just found out that the engine size is a 1.8. I saw a picture of one that looked like it had two chains? Anyway, can you tell me if the valves could have been damaged? It looks as if the chain jumped a tooth or two. Should I replace the chain as well?
Thanks
I want to say these are DOHC engines, meaning one cam for intake and one for exhaust, but probably only one chain. Google images show it's a "double-wide" chain, but sold as one unit. Someone else will have to advise on the rest. These engines can damage valves when they get out of time enough.

Last edited by ahull; 11-12-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM

Well I have taken the necessary parts off to get to the timing chain. When I turn the crank bolt at the bottom end I hear a crunching sound, (like plastic) then two links on the chain at the top end bow up. I took the timing tensioner off. It was an original and didn't seem very strong as for tension. Could close it using my thumb and forefinger. Anyway, just got a kit to line up the cams but it didn't have any instructions. Having a special spanner made tomorrow as the one recommended is 60. What a rip off! Use once and never again? Feeling a bit nervious. Hope I can get this timing chain and parts on and the car starts.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:45 PM

Sounds like part of the chain guide broke off and is maybe binding between the crank gear and cover.

You may already have what you need but thought I'd toss this out:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=11&fg=25
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Learning Daily

Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
you'd have a check engine light on with codes for cam to crank correlation.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 PM

I am very happy to say that the car is running fantastic!!!!! The cam timing kit is a must! Line up the cam at the back. Set the crank at TDC. Lower the timing chain, bottom cog, gear down in the engine. Put on the front cam cogs. Put the timing tool on the front. Put the crank bolt in and torgh. Remove the timing cam tools. Hook up all the sensors etc. The car fired off within 3 seconds. Runs great! It appears that the timing chain tensioner was weak and allowed the chain to jump. For those of you who have a similar problem the manuel makes it sound alot harder than it is. If you have any mechanic experience you can do it if you follow these simple steps. The cam timing kit is a life saver. 70 pounds but you can resale it after you use it. Thanks for all the imput. If you have any questions just ask.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I am very happy to say that the car is running fantastic!!!!! The cam timing kit is a must! Line up the cam at the back. Set the crank at TDC. Lower the timing chain, bottom cog, gear down in the engine. Put on the front cam cogs. Put the timing tool on the front. Put the crank bolt in and torgh. Remove the timing cam tools. Hook up all the sensors etc. The car fired off within 3 seconds. Runs great! It appears that the timing chain tensioner was weak and allowed the chain to jump. For those of you who have a similar problem the manuel makes it sound alot harder than it is. If you have any mechanic experience you can do it if you follow these simple steps. The cam timing kit is a life saver. 70 pounds but you can resale it after you use it. Thanks for all the imput. If you have any questions just ask.
Glad you got it running, mate!

Yeah, I've heard that you CAN set the timing without the tools, but it's much easier with them. One of those cases where "the right tool for the job" definitely applies.

Last edited by ahull; 11-26-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:17 AM

Im relieved that there was not any bent valves. That was my main concern. The engine was turned over by the AA man as well as myself. Maybe it was slightly out and didn't hit any pistons. Anyway, its going great.