Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
That's as it should be - and that $3700 invoice? What was that for?

Whatever it was, delighted.
I bought an e60 535xit with 83k miles on it 9 months ago.

It had a cold-start front end rattle that went away quickly. Turned out to be wastegate rattle.

Two new turbochargers installed for me, free of charge. So yay Ottos :0
Old 11-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 13 335I
4-series - some interior materials downgraded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Regarding the plastic looking metal trim you saw on the 4 series, was it the "aluminum hexagon trim"? Assuming they haven't changed it/cheapened it, I have the same thing in my e92 and I think its pretty nice. Cool to the the touch (so real metal), and nice detailing. Also doesn't show fingerprints or get scratched up like other inteiror trims would.

I haven't spent a lot of time examining an F30/32 interior, but my first impression was that it seemed nicer than my e92-- mostly i think i just find the design more pleasing. And they addressed 2 of my pet peeves-- the super cheap looking overhead console on the e90/92 and the smooth hard plastic used on the side of the seats. In exchange, they've introduced that silver painted plastic all over the place (on the Msport wheel atleast, but also on the base "no line" trim), and it sounds like some parts bend/creak when pressed now. Atlast the e90 was failry solid if you poked and prodded around.

I'm not sure whether BMW 3 series inteirors get "cheaper' or if they just move the cheapness around. Heres' my anal run down:
-e46: best interior design and best dash plastic, but lots of cheap feeling platic in the center console. Rattled and creaked from new. Headlight switch was cheap. Liked the precise feel of the door handles (no play). Nice glove box door mechanism. Uncovered metal seat tracks look cheap. Cheap plastic used on side of seats. Nice feeling radio/climate buttons. Seats are uncomofrtable after 2 hours or so. Crappily finished trunk.
-e90: Boring dash design, terrible overhead console, but pretty much no creaks or rattles. Same issue with seat tracks. Same cheap plastic on seat side. Better headlight switch, worse feeling radio/climate buttons but passable. Block orange 80s font used all over the place starting to look dated/cheap. Idrive controller feels high quality. Headrests atleast in LCI don't tilt and no seatback nets. Excellent seats...could drive all day long. Same crappy leather. Crappily finished trunk.
-F30: Better interior design but not as nice as e46, Crappy "silver satin" trim applied liberally, better overhead lights/console. Poorly integrated idrive screen, with some cheap plastics. Seatback nets and tilt headrests make a return. Same crappy leather. Drove one but was distracted my light steering and didnt notice if it rattled/creaked. Trunk uses slightly better looking carpet, but maybe thats my imagination. Better looking gauge cluster with no use of blocky orange font (climate control is still a slight offender though). Slightly better finished seat rails (I think they now have end caps on the rails so its not just an unfished piece of metal). Better looking/integrated climate and preset buttons. So I guess they've done a better job at (for me atleast) at hiding the cheapness.

The only new car interiors that I've been totally impressed with are Porsches. They feel solid, well designed, and even without the extra leather options they feel well made and use nice plastic. Then again, they should for the price. With Audis i'm impressed at first and then when I poke around I find similar amounts of cheapness (in different places) as with BMW. Honda interiors feel like they'll hold up the best and have the nicest feeling knobs. Ok, I also like the Mercedes SLS gullwing interior but thats 200k+!
I agree with you about the e90 overhead console the expose map lights & sticky buttons made it cheap. As for Hondas lately their interiors get worn down very quickly. Toyota interiors lately have a cheap feel as well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-12-2013, 04:41 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
My best friend in high school had an 87 Accord LXi with a stick. Always admired that car...it had a tight, low almost sports car feeling. Really held the road nicely...probably more of a "sports sedan" than the the current crop of germans.
Rob, mine was an Lxi hatch with a stick - nice 12 valve engine, light weight, but it had nasty weight distribution - I spun out once, in the rain on the FDR (that sweeping curve as you exit the triborough bridge and enter the FDR), the tail just came around, caught me completely off guard.

That bouncy and light rear end was always a problem, but everything else about the car was cool, it seemed really modern in 1987 when I got it, low, sleek, double wishbones, low, low design and drag coefficient.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-12-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
Rob, mine was an Lxi hatch with a stick - nice 12 valve engine, light weight, but it had nasty weight distribution - I spun out once, in the rain on the FDR (that sweeping curve as you exit the triborough bridge and enter the FDR), the tail just came around, caught me completely off guard.

That bouncy and light rear end was always a problem, but everything else about the car was cool, it seemed really modern in 1987 when I got it, low, sleek, double wishbones, low, low design and drag coefficient.
Funny- I had a Saab 9000 (similarly nose heavy) that did the same thing to me in the rain. On the other hand, a rwd Volvo never gave me any trouble even in upstate ny. Probably one if the reasons I'm biased toward rwd.

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Re: 4-series - some interior materials downgraded?

Sat in one today. Very unimpressed with the interior for a car that can easily cost as much as a 5 Series. Just a cheap interior all in all, in appearance and many materials. I also don't love how long the rear quarter window is. Overall it's still promising but I need to see more on the roads to see how I really feel. Also, halogen turn signals on the taillights is a joke and screams downmarket.

I noticed it had "only" 60% German part content compared to 75% on the 5er which may explain some of the material discrepancies (aside of course lower base price). Also the M Sports all had 18" wheels on em. Not sure if it's available with 19's?

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:03 PM
1 month till my first ED!

Mein Auto: 435i
Kind of On topic for this convo...

http://plays-with-cars.kinja.com/bmw...143109/@travis
Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
Written by a guy eating cookies with no pants on looking into BMW's past through some seriously rose colored glasses. If I get around to investing the energy I'm going to point out some of the misremembered and just flat wrong things posted in this thread about past BMWs.

News flash - turns out in objective reality the E46 had some pretty glaring and annoying shortcomings that mean as good as it was in certain areas it really wasn't "all that".

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-12-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 PM
1 month till my first ED!

Mein Auto: 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Written by a guy eating cookies with no pants on looking into BMW's past through some seriously rose colored glasses. If I get around to investing the energy I'm going to point out some of the misremembered and just flat wrong things posted in this thread about past BMWs.

News flash - turns out in objective reality the E46 had some pretty glaring and annoying shortcomings that mean as good as it was in certain areas it really wasn't "all that".
I certainly do not agree with the perspective in the article. Except that I think the designs from that era 3 series was as damn near flawless as you could get.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Sat in one today. Very unimpressed with the interior for a car that can easily cost as much as a 5 Series. Just a cheap interior all in all, in appearance and many materials. I also don't love how long the rear quarter window is. Overall it's still promising but I need to see more on the roads to see how I really feel. Also, halogen turn signals on the taillights is a joke and screams downmarket.

I noticed it had "only" 60% German part content compared to 75% on the 5er which may explain some of the material discrepancies (aside of course lower base price). Also the M Sports all had 18" wheels on em. Not sure if it's available with 19's?
Sat in which model?
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Dark Knight

435/428i's with M Sport. I'll add that I saw one on the road and it looked "meh" and then another one at an angle and light where it looked beautiful.

It's a very dynamic design which can't be "figured out" by quick and specific impressions (unfortunately same can't be said of the interior).

Last edited by K-A; 11-13-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:22 AM
zeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
I certainly do not agree with the perspective in the article. Except that I think the designs from that era 3 series was as damn near flawless as you could get.
His point is the dilution of the brand through too much segmentation, and I agree (I've siad it myself).

The most ridiculous example is the 4 door four series - which will have a b billar and be marketed as a "coupe".

There used to be a 3, a 5 and a 7, with the occasional 8 and Z8.

Then there was an SUV, the X5.

Now there's a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and what ever BMW can spin off of each.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
The german content vs. elsewhere means nothing - mexico can make some damn fine plastics and metals.

I've been considering a pre-owned f30 328i or 335i, a new one, or an f80 m3 once it comes out. I think at this point it comes down to what BMW does with the f80 m3 interior.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Dark Knight

Re: 4-series - some interior materials downgraded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
The german content vs. elsewhere means nothing - mexico can make some damn fine plastics and metals.

I've been considering a pre-owned f30 328i or 335i, a new one, or an f80 m3 once it comes out. I think at this point it comes down to what BMW does with the f80 m3 interior.
It's just the architecture that needs improvement as well, which is why I'm not holding my breath for the M version just yet. With what appears to be an at least decently promising C Class interior, if it shows well in real life, one has to wonder if BMW will do any drastic changes to the 3 LCI inside.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:57 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

I have to agree. I checked one out last night. Even in m sport fully loaded I like the Audi S5 prestige much more. I did not even bother asking for a test drive of the 435.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
His point is the dilution of the brand through too much segmentation, and I agree (I've siad it myself).

The most ridiculous example is the 4 door four series - which will have a b billar and be marketed as a "coupe".

There used to be a 3, a 5 and a 7, with the occasional 8 and Z8.

Then there was an SUV, the X5.

Now there's a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and what ever BMW can spin off of each.
Absolutely. Why exactly did they separate the coupe and sedan lines only to put a sedan in the coupe line?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Audi-Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
Absolutely. Why exactly did they separate the coupe and sedan lines only to put a sedan in the coupe line?
To add to the confusion, the 3 series has a GT and a wagon version. The 4 GC is just a sexy version of the GT and the GT is a more attractive version of the wagon.

Buying a BMW is like buying a suit. Do you want the regular, modern, or slim fit - pants pleated or flat, cuff or no cuff, cotton or wool. Something for everyone I guess. $29k 320 to $64k 335xi. People joke about how Audis are VW's, but BMW is no better and simply appeals to the consumer with their higher brand value. All luxury manufacturers are now targeting down market to make more money by using their brand cache.

Retired: 2010 Audi B8 S4 [trade-in], 2008 E92 335i [lemon], 2007 E92 335i [totaled]
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
To add to the confusion, the 3 series has a GT and a wagon version. The 4 GC is just a sexy version of the GT and the GT is a more attractive version of the wagon.

Buying a BMW is like buying a suit. Do you want the regular, modern, or slim fit - pants pleated or flat, cuff or no cuff, cotton or wool. Something for everyone I guess. $29k 320 to $64k 335xi. People joke about how Audis are VW's, but BMW is no better and simply appeals to the consumer with their higher brand value. All luxury manufacturers are now targeting down market to make more money by using their brand cache.
M-sport is sort of a good example of that. They easily got an extra $3k out of me, but they weren't going to get an extra $20k out of me for a true M.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
M-sport is sort of a good example of that. They easily got an extra $3k out of me, but they weren't going to get an extra $20k out of me for a true M.
They may have not gotten $20,000 but they did get about $14,000 in options in your 435i.

They do know their stuff...
Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
They may have not gotten $20,000 but they did get about $14,000 in options in your 435i.

They do know their stuff...
Yep. Thankfully I got a rebate of sorts on them with my ED discount.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i
With BMW you get what you pay for
I have 2013 535 with white interior, looks awesome feels great, expensive 65K+
I had a 03 Z4, so so interior (used)
07 335i paid 48k+ in 07 perfect interior
14 435i bought it 2 days ago 6 speed, Black interior, with blue exterior m package paid 51K and I think its worth every penny
I prefer simple interiors I am in the automotive industry and look at Audi's and Benz all day long I think they are an overkill with all their lights, buttons gadgets etc. I keep all that at home so i will not be distracted while I am enjoying the twisties in So Cali

Last edited by mad335i; 11-14-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

In general, I find the aesthetics of the F30 to be its strongest attribute - niggling details aside. Overall the interior exudes a contemporary feel, boasting artful lines that appeal to both young and old. The overall design is sufficiently strong that it is easy for your eye to dwell on the forest and ignore the few gnarly trees.

Per prior posts on the fest; http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=732288
the coming M3.M4 will provide significant upgrades including genuine carbon fiber trim and Merino leather. Given lower weight. increased HP and torque + significant interior upgrades - the new M3/M4 could be a stunner - BMW has no room for missteps on this one.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM
zeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad335i View Post
With BMW you get what you pay for
I have 2013 535 with white interior, looks awesome feels great, expensive 65K+
I had a 01 Z4, so so interior
07 335i paid 48k+ in 07 perfect interior
14 435i bought it 2 days ago 6 speed, Black interior, with blue exterior m package paid 51K and I think its worth every penny
I prefer simple interiors I am in the automotive industry and look at Audi's and Benz all day long I think they are an overkill with all their lights, buttons gadgets etc. I keep all that at home so i will not be distracted while I am enjoying the twisties in So Cali
The first year for Z4's was 2003.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
This is sad to hear

I guess the trend continues it started with F30 and now continues with more expensive F32. For the price you pay above F30 the F32 should at least give you better feeling materials. It is already bad enough that they did not distinguish the interior enough from sedan after the whole name change.

The BMW needs to step it above and stop ruining the 3 series platform.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:42 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
This is sad to hear

I guess the trend continues it started with F30 and now continues with more expensive F32. For the price you pay above F30 the F32 should at least give you better feeling materials. It is already bad enough that they did not distinguish the interior enough from sedan after the whole name change.

The BMW needs to step it above and stop ruining the 3 series platform.
That is my biggest disappointment with the 4-Series... BMW goes thru the trouble of creating a completely new Series, apparently to position it completely above the 3-Series and not just an offspring of it, but then fundamentally tacks the whole 3-Series interior on.

No front-to-back center console, no front door folding compartments, no distinctly split rear seats, all as in the E92. Just slightly different door panels and a plastic cubby separating the almost-bench rear seat. Pricing is in line with the E90 and E92 pricing, so the upmarket purpose is even suspect. Even the M3 and M4 main changes are limited to the trunk of the F82 because even the CF roof will be available in the M3. Everything else is pretty much the same.

The only 4-Series that makes a lot of sense to me -regardless of the interior critique- is the 4GC, just because it will really be a 3-Series Sedan with a premium price.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That is my biggest disappointment with the 4-Series... BMW goes thru the trouble of creating a completely new Series, apparently to position it completely above the 3-Series and not just an offspring of it, but then fundamentally tacks the whole 3-Series interior on.

No front-to-back center console, no front door folding compartments, no distinctly split rear seats, all as in the E92. Just slightly different door panels and a plastic cubby separating the almost-bench rear seat. Pricing is in line with the E90 and E92 pricing, so the upmarket purpose is even suspect. Even the M3 and M4 main changes are limited to the trunk of the F82 because even the CF roof will be available in the M3. Everything else is pretty much the same.

The only 4-Series that makes a lot of sense to me -regardless of the interior critique- is the 4GC, just because it will really be a 3-Series Sedan with a premium price.
I was not under the impression that the 4 Series was positioned to be completely above the 3 Series. It's my understanding that it is merely the coupe version of the 3 Series sedan, just as the Audi 5 Series is the coupe version of their 4 Series sedan.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget