Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i M-Sport
Not Sure if its still an Alternator issue

Hi everyone, I have a 2005 4.4 that has been giving me battery/alternator problems.
The red battery light came on a few weeks ago and car died while driving, all my troubleshooting pointed me to the alternator. I bought a rebuilt Valeo 170amp alternator from buyautoparts.com and swapped it out. Car drove fine for a week and alternator tested btw 13.5 and 14.2 v. I was stuck in traffic for about an hour and the 4x4 inactive light came and car died, I got enough charge from road side assistance to get me home. I changed the battery under warranty since it was just a year old.
I have been driving for about a week once again with a new battery and rebuilt alternator and the 4x4 light has popped up again last night. Now the alternator tests at 12.6 while the car is idling and the battery is at 12.1 v when engine is off.
I am hoping someone has some insight into what might be the issue, my gut tells me its the rebuilt alternator but I just find it hard to believe a two week old alternator is bad. Oh, and the red battery light is not on which makes me doubt its the alternator.

2005 X5 4.4, Cold Weather and Premium package.
2011 528i Titanium Silver M-Sport, P1, P2, 2TB, Xenon
--------------------------------------
Retired - 2002 Topaz Blue 530I, Sports Package
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
One way to ck is to unplug neg batt cable while car is running a see if it dies. If so the Alt is bad.Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
12.6 volts with engine running suggests a non-functioning alternator. Pulling the battery negative with the engine running could fry the alternator if I remember all the warning labels from my youth correctly.
I think you need to do the alternator swap again.
I notice you live in Frisco. I live further up the Frisco line in MO. It ran just a few hundred yards away from my house.