Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5, 2001 Z3
Question Trunk Interior question

Hello all, newbie here. Great forum.

I searched through the forum for about 45 minutes and couldn't find anything on the trunk interior panel removal process.

I'm attempting to install a VHF/UHF radio transceiver in the trunk of my Z3 with a wired control head mounted on the front of the interior center console.

I need to know how to remove the interior trunk panels correctly (which fasteners, where they are located and process for removing the fasteners) and in what order.

Poking around in my trunk, I found some round plastic fasteners along the center top section of the trunk coupled with some plastic "buttons" that have accessories on each of them (like cell phone and other accessories that apparently the vehicle is already wired for (but the options aren't installed).

Does anyone have any information on how to drop the interior trunk panels so I can run some control head and speaker wires for the transceiver from the trunk area to the inside of the vehicle along side the console toward the front of the console so I can mount the transceiver head on the front lower section of the console (next to the cigarette lighter)?

Thanks,
Rick
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: -98 Mroadster S50 Estoril
It's very easy. You need a small crowbar-looking thing and just pull out the black plugs. Just start and you get the hang on it.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
As mentioned, just use a tool called a trim tool to pry the plastic buttons out. They can usually be re-used. Here's another tip: run the wires through the grommet on the driver's side, opposite the battery, to prevent noise. BTW: you will be removing a lot of pieces in the back to make this work. It's really not a big deal, but seems daunting at the time. I had my soft top off at the time, but if I hadn't I would have removed at least one seat to gain better access to the back.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM

OK so the black plugs simply pull straight out? Do they typically break during the removal process? Would it help to turn them at all during removal?

As far as the "crowbar-looking thing", what tool is this or what is used to create such a tool? I guess I could try a typical crow bar, but all I have are rather large and over kill to remove the plastic plugs. The tips of the crow bar are not thin enough to go behind the plug. Makes me also wonder how thick the diameter of the plug that snaps into the body is.

Do the 3 "wired for" plugs need to be removed as well (see attached photo of these plugs)?

I think I need to remove the two plastic plates that protect the tail light bulbs as well to get the side panels off. Correct?

In the right side of the trunk floor there is a plastic pocket that I removed under which is a 6-conductor plug. I assume the pocket and the plug are for either the some kind of cell phone module or the CD changer? Any idea what accessories this plug supports?

Finally, after I get all of this removed, is there some sort of channel that I could use to route the wires from the trunk into the car directly behind the console?

Thanks for any replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk accessory discs.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	407120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk pocket.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	407121  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
I posted the following message and photographs in April, 2003 on the Roadfly forum. It shows how I installed an XM radio in the trunk and will probably answer some of your questions.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/655...tos-long-post?

BTW, I still have this wonderful car and although it was a daily driver for ten years and has 145K miles on it, you could eat off the engine. Needs to be painted and the top frame needs replacing but otherwise this car is in great condition.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:10 PM

Thanks, those pics and description helped quite a bit. Now I just have to find the time to do this job once the radio and antenna comes in hopefully next week.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:34 PM

OK, I'm now digging into this job and so far, I have removed the trunk interior. Those plastic clips are a bit of a pain to remove. Also, when removing the back of the trunk interior (that which goes against the roof well), I inadvertently shorted the metal tabs that hold the trunk courtesy light and blew fuse #31. Anyone doing this should remove fuse #31 before pulling the rear interior out.

I also had to remove the gas cap release cable from the interior on the right side in order to remove the right side interior panel. A small screwdriver allowed me to pry the handle off the cable.

I removed all the plastic clips that hold the 3 panels in the trunk using needle nose pliers as well as a small screwdriver and a very small claw hammer.

I now see where the wires are routed into the cabin (under the carpet in the roof well). Just jumping into removing the roof well carpet. Hopefully there are some thread that describe this.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:17 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer1954 View Post
I now see where the wires are routed into the cabin (under the carpet in the roof well). Just jumping into removing the roof well carpet. Hopefully there are some thread that describe this.
It has the same type of clips used in the trunk, just a bit harder to reach unless you are thin and bendable.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.

Last edited by khammack; 11-27-2013 at 03:18 PM.