Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Power steering fluid low, and coolant is low. What kind?

2007 BMW 328i sedan

I went to get the car inspected and it failed because Power Steering Fluid was low and Coolant was low.

The mechanic told me they didnt have the power steering fluid or coolant that the paper requires that they printed out. I did some research, there are three types of fluid: CHF, LHM oils and ATF. I think a general rule is not to mix, even between CHF versions for example, as stated there. So don't mix ATF in if CHF is in there.
Here's the BMW part number for what is used in cars since 9/91: 82 11 1 468 041. It is for Pentosin CHF 11S.
Also, that is the same part number the mechanic gave me, HOWEVER!!! I look at the power steering cap and it says ATF ONLY. So do I put in CHF 11S or do I go get some Dex III ATF from O'Reilley's and put that in there? I would assume the ATF is what is needed.


The coolant needs part number 82 141 467 704
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES196290/

I just mix this myself with distilled water, 50/50 and then pour it in there I assume.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 AM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,794
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
PS fluid....there is sticker on the reservoir. It will tell you which fluid to use. Normally it is Pentosin CHF 11

Coolant....just get the OEM coolant and mix 50/50 with DISTILLED water. Tap water contains minerals that can cake up in the coolant system.

These fluids should never go low. If they are, you have a leak somewhere.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
PS fluid....there is sticker on the reservoir. It will tell you which fluid to use. Normally it is Pentosin CHF 11

Coolant....just get the OEM coolant and mix 50/50 with DISTILLED water. Tap water contains minerals that can cake up in the coolant system.

These fluids should never go low. If they are, you have a leak somewhere.
Just checked again, there is no sticker on the power steering reservoir, only the cap that has the writing ATF OIL ONLY on it so I find it odd that CHF is what is recommended. Might just take it to the dealership and ask them, kind of annoying to go there for that though
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,087
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Best bet with no id on the car is to buy a qt from the dealer.
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,794
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
Just checked again, there is no sticker on the power steering reservoir, only the cap that has the writing ATF OIL ONLY on it so I find it odd that CHF is what is recommended. Might just take it to the dealership and ask them, kind of annoying to go there for that though
I missed the part about the ATF being stamped on the cap. If you don't have the green CHF 11 sticker on the PS reservoir cap, then use the ATF. It's whatever is printed on the cap.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Roger that, that makes more sense. ATF it is
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Will this ATF work right here? I saw some people saying they use DEX III and this is what I found.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...arts_8130008-p
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM
fun2drive's Avatar
fun2drive fun2drive is offline
BMWCCA 149159
Location: Panhandle of Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,609
Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Yes only if your car uses DexIII which I don't think it does if it is an E90 series since they all use the CHF-11 synthetic Pentosin ATF...
I reecall NAPA can get you Pentosin much cheaper than the dealer...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Yes only if your car uses DexIII which I don't think it does if it is an E90 series since they all use the CHF-11 synthetic Pentosin ATF...
I reecall NAPA can get you Pentosin much cheaper than the dealer...
Why does my cap on the power steering fluid reservoir say ATF OIL ONLY if it is supposed to take CHF? CHF is not ATF, not sure if you are getting that confused.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:26 PM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,087
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Its only about a QT why screw around it no one is positive? Looks to be about $11 for factory fill.
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Its only about a QT why screw around it no one is positive? Looks to be about $11 for factory fill.
Yea no one seems to know so it looks like im going to have to drive 30 minutes to a dealer

I'm going to see if they can tell me over the phone tomorrow maybe.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,733
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
Why does my cap on the power steering fluid reservoir say ATF OIL ONLY if it is supposed to take CHF? CHF is not ATF, not sure if you are getting that confused.
I don't think he's confused. He knows way more than I do, and I don't know much, but this is the first time I've heard of an E90 that uses ATF. Why the cap says so, I'm wondering if you had a mechanic replace with the wrong one? Maybe they even put the wrong fluid in there. Who knows, I sure don't.

CHF is a dark green, yours is probably almost blackish now but if you pull a little out with turkey baster and squirt on paper towel, you may see some green. ATF is typically (but perhaps not always?) a reddish color.

CHF is not cheap, and if you're buying the whole canister, I would consider getting a second one and just doing a flush, whether "mostly a flush" with the super easy turkey baster method, or more complete and messy ways. Most do TB.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I don't think he's confused. He knows way more than I do, and I don't know much, but this is the first time I've heard of an E90 that uses ATF. Why the cap says so, I'm wondering if you had a mechanic replace with the wrong one? Maybe they even put the wrong fluid in there. Who knows, I sure don't.

CHF is a dark green, yours is probably almost blackish now but if you pull a little out with turkey baster and squirt on paper towel, you may see some green. ATF is typically (but perhaps not always?) a reddish color.

CHF is not cheap, and if you're buying the whole canister, I would consider getting a second one and just doing a flush, whether "mostly a flush" with the super easy turkey baster method, or more complete and messy ways. Most do TB.
Roger that, I'll just put some on a paper towel and see if I can see the color.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Well it is hard to tell, I just put a paper towel in there and pulled it back out real quick. It doesnt have any red tint to it but it does have the slightest bit of green tint. I think I will just take it to the dealership to be 100% sure.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,733
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
Well it is hard to tell, I just put a paper towel in there and pulled it back out real quick. It doesnt have any red tint to it but it does have the slightest bit of green tint. I think I will just take it to the dealership to be 100% sure.
It's CHF. On the left is about 30K miles, the right is fresh.

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Morketh Morketh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 84
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Yep that's probably it then, wow what a bunch of douches for putting that ATF only cap on there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms