Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, X5
TPMS "Inactive" After New TPMS Sensors

I've have been running my old winter tires without TPMS sensors since winter 2012-13. The tires were worn down and did horrible in the snow last year, so I just left them on until last month to get a few more miles before they were retired. So, I've been putting up with the TPMS "Inactive" message on my 2011 328i for months since there were no TPMS sensors in the wheels.

I have access to a tire mounting machine and wheel balancer, so a few weeks ago, I took the old tires off, installed 4 RS Technik TPMS sensors on the steel rims and mounted new Blizzak snow tires. Eric at pyspeed.com matched the units based on my VIN, so the sensors are probably the correct ones. I have identical units on my X5 that I installed last year and have had no problems with them. I was careful not to damage the sensors during mounting. I did notice during sensor installation the inner ridge on the steel rims contacts a portion of the rubberized undersurface of the sensor - I have no idea how TPMS sensors work - depending on how they measure air pressure, not sure if that would interfere with the sensors' function.

Every time I start the car, the TPMS "Inactive" warning usually comes on within 10-15 seconds, just like it always has for the past 12 months. When I try to reset the system with the control stalk (no iDrive), it immediately gives me the "Inactive" message. I've driven at least 50 miles since installing the tires, including autobahn speeds (I'm military stationed in Germany). I've varied the tire pressure to recommended pressures on the door label and then back to the book recommended for speeds at and above 100 mph.

My questions:
1) Am I missing something basic?
2) Since I drove around on tires with no TPMS sensors for a year and never put the original wheels back on, is it possible for the RDC control module to have a code that has to be reset either by putting the original OEM wheels with sensors back on first vs. using BMW diagnostics to reset before the system will start functioning again?
3) If BMW diagnostics are required, does anybody have any experience using a Mongoose ISO cable in conjunction with BMW ISTA online for problems like this in a 2011 BMW 328i? DrewTech is giving me the "might or might not work" spiel but I've read several places where it sounds like it might work (some places say it won't work with the MOST bus, though).

I'm regretting spending $200 on the sensors to try to get the light to go away ... trying to decide if I want to put more money/effort into this or to just call it a day with $200 worth of non-functioning components in my wheels ... I know the Germany dealer will just rake me over the coals before they balk at the aftermarket sensors ...

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afbrat View Post
I've have been running my old winter tires without TPMS sensors since winter 2012-13. The tires were worn down and did horrible in the snow last year, so I just left them on until last month to get a few more miles before they were retired. So, I've been putting up with the TPMS "Inactive" message on my 2011 328i for months since there were no TPMS sensors in the wheels.

I have access to a tire mounting machine and wheel balancer, so a few weeks ago, I took the old tires off, installed 4 RS Technik TPMS sensors on the steel rims and mounted new Blizzak snow tires. Eric at pyspeed.com matched the units based on my VIN, so the sensors are probably the correct ones. I have identical units on my X5 that I installed last year and have had no problems with them. I was careful not to damage the sensors during mounting. I did notice during sensor installation the inner ridge on the steel rims contacts a portion of the rubberized undersurface of the sensor - I have no idea how TPMS sensors work - depending on how they measure air pressure, not sure if that would interfere with the sensors' function.

Every time I start the car, the TPMS "Inactive" warning usually comes on within 10-15 seconds, just like it always has for the past 12 months. When I try to reset the system with the control stalk (no iDrive), it immediately gives me the "Inactive" message. I've driven at least 50 miles since installing the tires, including autobahn speeds (I'm military stationed in Germany). I've varied the tire pressure to recommended pressures on the door label and then back to the book recommended for speeds at and above 100 mph.

My questions:
1) Am I missing something basic?
2) Since I drove around on tires with no TPMS sensors for a year and never put the original wheels back on, is it possible for the RDC control module to have a code that has to be reset either by putting the original OEM wheels with sensors back on first vs. using BMW diagnostics to reset before the system will start functioning again?
3) If BMW diagnostics are required, does anybody have any experience using a Mongoose ISO cable in conjunction with BMW ISTA online for problems like this in a 2011 BMW 328i? DrewTech is giving me the "might or might not work" spiel but I've read several places where it sounds like it might work (some places say it won't work with the MOST bus, though).

I'm regretting spending $200 on the sensors to try to get the light to go away ... trying to decide if I want to put more money/effort into this or to just call it a day with $200 worth of non-functioning components in my wheels ... I know the Germany dealer will just rake me over the coals before they balk at the aftermarket sensors ...

Any thoughts?
Time to bring the car to a tire shop that has a TPMS diagnostic tool. Here's an example:
http://www.bartecusa.com/

I can't imagine that the service check will be that expensive, but they should be able to diagnose why your TPMS are not communicating with the car.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
are you sure they sent you the right sensors?

pre 2009:
RS Technik 008 BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor System TPMS Part 36236781847 and 36236779490

2009 and newer E9x:
RS Technik 012 BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor System TPMS Part 36106790054 36106856227
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 11-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

What exactly is the freq of your new TPMS sensors?

Are they transmitting?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Probably about time for a sticky on the TPMS frequency changeover.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 11-13-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Time to bring the car to a tire shop that has a TPMS diagnostic tool. Here's an example:
http://www.bartecusa.com/

I can't imagine that the service check will be that expensive, but they should be able to diagnose why your TPMS are not communicating with the car.
Thanks for the feedback. Forgot to put in the OP that I already tried the TPMS diagnostic tool that the auto hobby shop had. The guy helping me was the one actually using the tool (so I didn't get to play with it) but we walked around to each tire - all four units were "on" and talking to the tool. The tool keep asking to release pressure from the tire but when we tried that (up to 10 psi released), neither the tool or the system was happy. Maybe I'm getting an artificially high reading because of the way the sensors fit onto the rim? It was a tight fit to get the valve stem properly seated - the soft underside of the sensor's rectangular base does actually contact the steel ridge on the interior, horizontal surface of the rim. I have no idea where the "measuring" of the air pressure happens on these units.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
are you sure they sent you the right sensors?

pre 2009:
RS Technik 008 BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor System TPMS Part 36236781847 and 36236779490

2009 and newer E9x:
RS Technik 012 BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor System TPMS Part 36106790054 36106856227
Yeah, it's the RS Technik 012's. Eric at pyspeed.com actually proactively emailed me for the last 7 on the VIN to confirm everything was correct before shipping them.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
What exactly is the freq of your new TPMS sensors?

Are they transmitting?
433 MHz.

Here is the webpage of what I bought:

http://www.pyspeed.com/RS-BMW-Tire-P...s-012-tpms.htm
Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Forgot to put in the OP that I already tried the TPMS diagnostic tool that the auto hobby shop had. The guy helping me was the one actually using the tool (so I didn't get to play with it) but we walked around to each tire - all four units were "on" and talking to the tool. The tool keep asking to release pressure from the tire but when we tried that (up to 10 psi released), neither the tool or the system was happy. Maybe I'm getting an artificially high reading because of the way the sensors fit onto the rim? It was a tight fit to get the valve stem properly seated - the soft underside of the sensor's rectangular base does actually contact the steel ridge on the interior, horizontal surface of the rim. I have no idea where the "measuring" of the air pressure happens on these units.
The TPMS are now fitted into steel wheels? If so I suspect that the valve hole dimension (diameter) is different than your original wheels and your TPMS units are not designed for the current valve hole dimensions. Please confirm.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)

Last edited by pointandgo; 11-13-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
The TPMS are now fitted into steel wheels? If so I suspect that the valve hole dimension (diameter) is different than your original wheels and your TPMS units are not designed for the current valve hole dimensions. Please confirm.
Hah! Maybe that's the issue ... shouldn't be using them w/ steel rims? They fit the valve hole and have been holding pressure for the past 2 - 3 weeks (I've been checking) but maybe it's a bit of the "square peg in a round hole" type scenario.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
433 MHz.

Here is the webpage of what I bought:

http://www.pyspeed.com/RS-BMW-Tire-P...s-012-tpms.htm

The manufacturer may have a solution - what do they say?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The manufacturer may have a solution - what do they say?
"The only way i can think of is driven it 20 - 30 miles and see if the message go away." That was the answer from Pyspeed 15 days (and about 150 miles) ago. My gut feeling is it has something to do with the computer in the car, but maybe they are not compatible with steel rims. I did try setting an original OEM wheel with the all-season tire (with original TPMS sensor) next to each wheel well and attempting to reset the system inside the car. It was a long shot, but thought maybe the computer communicating with the original radios would change something - didn't work. I also opened up the back right wheel well sidewall and unplugged the RDC unit, cycled the car on and off and plugged it back in - that didn't work, either.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
"The only way i can think of is driven it 20 - 30 miles and see if the message go away." That was the answer from Pyspeed 15 days (and about 150 miles) ago. My gut feeling is it has something to do with the computer in the car, but maybe they are not compatible with steel rims. I did try setting an original OEM wheel with the all-season tire (with original TPMS sensor) next to each wheel well and attempting to reset the system inside the car. It was a long shot, but thought maybe the computer communicating with the original radios would change something - didn't work. I also opened up the back right wheel well sidewall and unplugged the RDC unit, cycled the car on and off and plugged it back in - that didn't work, either.
I've looked further into the valve hole diameter specs and can't really see that it's an issue. Pass. wheel valve hole diameters are commonly 11.3mm (+0.4mm). Less common European wheels with 8.8mm valve holes.

The only thing I can think of (consult the manufacturer) is that the units may have to be "relearned" with a diagnostic device unless you've already done this.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 11-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Wow! Scratchin' Pyspeed off my list of potential vendors....
Old 11-13-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Wow! Scratchin' Pyspeed off my list of potential vendors....
Seems that Pyspeed is just a distributor of RS Technik TPMS, and I doubt they're qualified experts on TPMS...RS Technik should be, but I can't find a web sit for them or where these are made. I'm starting to suspect China. The packaging material would indicate.

There are a few Internet bad reports for RS Technik TPMS but nothing off the charts. They are a low cost leader it seems.

Tire Rack ships steel (Winter) wheels with TPMS installed every day, so I don't see a fundamental problem with steel wheels and TPMS.

Not to diss the OP, but installing TPMS and tires is a big enough challenge for trained tire retailers, and TPMS require TLC at mounting such as specific (nut) torque requirements and lubrication of the rubber gromet. It's probably best that TPMS installation be left up to professional installers IMO.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Pretty sure inactive means there is a component in the system that is malfunctioning.

There are receivers behind the fender liners for the TPMS sensors in the wheels.

Have the car scanned and see if there is fault stored. It should tell you which receiver is malfunctioning, if there is one.

Also check the TPMS fuses.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-14-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Seems that Pyspeed is just a distributor of RS Technik TPMS, and I doubt they're qualified experts on TPMS...RS Technik should be, but I can't find a web sit for them or where these are made. I'm starting to suspect China. The packaging material would indicate.

There are a few Internet bad reports for RS Technik TPMS but nothing off the charts. They are a low cost leader it seems.

Tire Rack ships steel (Winter) wheels with TPMS installed every day, so I don't see a fundamental problem with steel wheels and TPMS.

Not to diss the OP, but installing TPMS and tires is a big enough challenge for trained tire retailers, and TPMS require TLC at mounting such as specific (nut) torque requirements and lubrication of the rubber gromet. It's probably best that TPMS installation be left up to professional installers IMO.
No offense taken ... I probably AM in over my head. But I'm also cheap, so I was willing to take a chance on a non-essential component like this.

Quote:
Pretty sure inactive means there is a component in the system that is malfunctioning.

There are receivers behind the fender liners for the TPMS sensors in the wheels.

Have the car scanned and see if there is fault stored. It should tell you which receiver is malfunctioning, if there is one.

Also check the TPMS fuses.
Yeah, my original idea was to go looking for the RDC control unit - multiple posts around the web talk about it being in the body recess above the battery, but there were no components in that area on my car when I tore it apart to look for it. Additionally, when you look it up on realoem.com for my 9/2010 production model, it gets really confusing about whether there is even an "Control Unit RDC" on this car (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...12&hg=36&fg=15). If you look on another screen, they make it look like the receiver is now the control unit (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=36&fg=15). BMW obviously either 1) changed the location of the RDC module or 2) somehow slimmed down the system and integrated everything into one component. My Bentley manual didn't help locate the RDC module.

One of the guys here had an DTC scanner - no DTC's on the car. On the car itself, I can use the control stalk while under "Check Control" to get the car to tell me this is CC-ID error 149, which basically means "Your TPMS system isn't functioning". Thanks for that, car - that's a big help. I did read somewhere that you can use a $300 Mongoose ISO cable to connect with BMW ISTA over the internet for $30/day, but when I write DrewTech about whether it will work or not, they are very vague (which may just mean it does work but they want me to buy their $1650 CarDAQ). Even if I do get that functioning, though, not sure the online BMW diagnostics will actually solve the issue (ie. not sure it will let me "reset" the TPMS, which I suspect is what needs to be done).

I tried the fuses, too. Fuse was fine, but started up the car without it in, turned off, reinserted it, no change.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:12 AM

What kind of scanner was it? You need a BMW specific scanner to pull faults. Generic snanners can only pull from the dme.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
No offense taken ... I probably AM in over my head. But I'm also cheap, so I was willing to take a chance on a non-essential component like this.
FYI, TPMS wheel sensors and valve stems from tirerack.com, cost me $235, including shipping. Too bad they're installed, but I would return them and re-order the OEM Beru/Huf from tirerack.

I wish I could offer you any more advice than you've already gotten.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Just because the sensors are transmitting doesn't mean they are the right ones.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i E92
I have a similar issue. I had new PSS put on this summer at a local Chevy dealership. The car was fine for 2 weeks, then out of the blue I got this same TPMS Inactive warning. I've just been ignoring it, I live in the sticks and it's too much of a hassle and rip off to take it to BMW to see WTF the deal is.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
What kind of scanner was it? You need a BMW specific scanner to pull faults. Generic snanners can only pull from the dme.
It was a generic scanner ... don't have access to a BMW specific one which was why I was exploring the possibility of using a Mongoose ISO cable along with the online BMW diagnostics at www.bmwtechinfo.com. If I knew it would work, I'd probably make the $300 investment since I also have an X5 but the answers I'm getting from DrewTech are very vague.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA335i View Post
... I've just been ignoring it ...
You are smarter than I am!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 AM

Just throwing this out there but you have the option of coding the tpms system off. It costs $100 for the coding cable and you can also setup INPA to pull faults.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 135 cab
I have had the same issue with my '11 135i. Snow tires on aftermarket rims from Discount Tire. The TPMS sensors have been replaced once with the new ones matched to VIN. Still the same issue. To DT's credit, they just refunded the $236 that I paid for the senors. I have to take car to the dealer for scheduled maintenance in a week or two, and I will ask them to evaluate the problem.