Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 11-12-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 535is bmw
Exclamation car truning over but not starting

Hi, I have an 87 535is. My car is turning over fast, strong battery, but not starting. I took it to a mechanic someone recommended..he printed off a schematic of the wiring... he said he has checked and ruled out the main relay, fuel pump, crackshaft sensor, and that it is not getting fire, he told me today that he has narrowed down to a "speed sensor" or the "reference sensor".

I dont have $80 dollar guesses, ... in my mind , logically a "speed sensor" would not prevent it from firing?? would it?? I am not familiar with a "reference sensor " either. He said that he took the sensors to his shop today and he has a tool that checks the resistance..and both of these sensors are bad.

Has anyone had a problem with these sensors? or a problem with a car turning over like normal, strong battery..but not cranking...not getting fire.

Before I took to him I bypassed the fuel relay and could hear the fuel pump running, I could not determine for sure if it had fire.

Thanks for all responses.
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
... in my mind , logically a "speed sensor" would not prevent it from firing?? would it?? YES
I am not familiar with a "reference sensor " either. He said that he took the sensors to his shop today and he has a tool that checks the resistance..and both of these sensors are bad.
Has anyone had a problem with these sensors? or a problem with a car turning over like normal, strong battery..but not cranking...not getting fire. YES
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i 6 speed Sport
Hi, my son had exactly the same issue with his E28. It was the crank position sensor as well as the speed sensor. Never heard of a reference sensor but I am guessing it refers to the speed & crank position.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Bavarian Autosport

Mein Auto: 1989 325is
Yes if these are bad the vehicle won't start. They sit right next to one another and read off a pin in the flywheel. They do go bad. What can also happen is that pin can come out of the flywheel too. You get the same end result but the fix a whole lot more expensive.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter