Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Question grinding/scraping noise at 2000rpm

I recently bought a used 2011 335i, manual, RWD, with 35K. Still under warranty. I have brought the car to the dealer twice now to have them look at a noise I hear while driving.

The noise is a scraping, rasping noise that seems to come through the dash, but definitely sounds like it's somewhere in the engine bay. When I drive the car for the first time in the morning, I won't hear anything for a few minutes, and then it'll start. Most noticeable at 2000rpm, 30-40mph, holding a steady speed. If I depress the clutch, and take my foot off the gas, then the sound goes away, for the most part. The moment I put the car back into gear and apply a little gas, the noise comes right back.

The noise will gradually diminish over 20-30 minutes, but never fully goes away. Sound is worst in the first 10-15 minutes of driving. It almost sounds like a small metallic part is being swirling around, or rusty ball bearing, or something.

Doesn't seem to impact the car in any way (well, not yet..). No check engine light, etc. Noise is just annoying. As I mentioned, the dealer, so far, has been unable to find what the cause is, but I'm bringing it back again tomorrow for another try.

In the meantime, I thought to ask the forum. Yes, I've searched the threads, but nothing I've read seems to really match the sound/symptoms I'm hearing.

Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 PM

*BUMP*

Anyone? Car has been at the dealers now a few days. Techs all hear it but haven't been able to find what's causing the noise. They think it might be coming from the clutch housing, or exhaust system. Any idea's?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Turns out it was the synchro's in the gearbox. Dealer replaced the whole unit. Problem solved!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
Thanks for getting back to us with the fix.

Glad it all sorted.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:06 AM

Thanks! Upside is that it got fixed and the gearbox seems even smoother than before. Downside is that it took 3 visits to the dealer. The last time it was in for nearly two weeks (most of that waiting for the part to arrive from Germany). But I'm pretty impressed by the dealer - they went the full distance to figure it out. It was really hard to tell where the noise was coming from. In the end, they got a "chassis ear", and that helped them pinpoint the source.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by geomax View Post
Turns out it was the synchro's in the gearbox. Dealer replaced the whole unit. Problem solved!

Unusual! Syncro's ain't rocket science - did they say exactly what went wrong?

Yeah, I know - dealers don't do transmission work. They're not complicated - bizarre....

Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 AM

I asked if they took the transmission apart to see what was causing the noise, but they said that the transmission was taken out as a unit, and they are not allowed to open it up. The entire thing is sent back to Germany to be rebuilt. The transmission in my car was replaced with one of these rebuilt units. In a way, the experience had some deja vu...my previous car was a 2002 325 coupe, and at 11K, the transmission also had to be replaced with a rebuilt unit. That lasted for the next 150K miles. So here again, I end up with a new transmission in this car. Hopefully this one lasts as long!

One side note: they also had to replace the slave cylinder for the clutch...not sure why. They didn't find an issue with it prior to the replacement...but did after...hmmm..

Last edited by geomax; 12-04-2013 at 04:11 AM.