Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Desi

Mein Auto: 2007 550i SMG
Does a REAR Hydraulic Sway Bar exist?

2007 550i SMG

The independent shop says my REAR hydraulic sway bar is leaking. But my service agent at the BMW dealership says that he never heard of a rear sway bar for my car.

Who's right??
Ads by Google
Old 11-13-2013, 01:47 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&hg=33&fg=45

(for a 545i, I would assume similar applies to the 550i as well)
Old 11-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Just look under the car and see for your self.. If you have an ARS suspention it will look like the part schpenxel posted. Its a hydralic stabilizer bar thats a two piece with a hydraulic torsion mechanizum in the center and not catagorized as a sway bar. Since you have a 550, it most likley has ARS .
Old 11-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Desi

Thanks guys. The car is in the shop right now so I can't look at it and confirm. I'll check under the car tomorrow.

It sucks that it started leaking. A $2000 repair.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:08 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Are they just swapping the whole thing with a new one or what?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs235 View Post
Thanks guys. The car is in the shop right now so I can't look at it and confirm. I'll check under the car tomorrow.

It sucks that it started leaking. A $2000 repair.
The first question I would ask is how badly is it leaking? Are you seeing fluid on the floor in the garage? Have you experienced a low hydraulic fluid level?

The rear ARS sway bar basically works the same as the front sway bar, except that it does not have air lines to allow air into the valve to prevent cavitation noise (BMW figures at the rear of the car you won't hear it).

The ARS system shares CHF11S hydraulic fluid with the power steering rack.

Some of the leaks are so slow that there might only be slight staining on the valve body itself and could be as slow as a quarter of an ounce per year. You have to decide if you can live with a slow leak, but a quart of CHF11S is about $15 and would keep a very slow leak at bay for years (just keeping the hydraulic fluid reservoir topped up).

$tealers are experts at going over a vehicle carefully to search for what on German cars is termed "sweating" or extremely slow leaks which the German cars are famous (or rather infamous) for. Obviously these searches just happen to begin after the vehicle is out of warranty as BMWNA would never pay for these egg hunts that the owner has not specifically complained about.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Desi

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
Are they just swapping the whole thing with a new one or what?
That's what the independent shop suggested after a brief conversation. I didn't ask him a lot of details yet and I told him to hold off on it until I gather more information. So, as of now, the repair is on hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
The first question I would ask is how badly is it leaking? Are you seeing fluid on the floor in the garage? Have you experienced a low hydraulic fluid level?

The rear ARS sway bar basically works the same as the front sway bar, except that it does not have air lines to allow air into the valve to prevent cavitation noise (BMW figures at the rear of the car you won't hear it).

The ARS system shares CHF11S hydraulic fluid with the power steering rack.

Some of the leaks are so slow that there might only be slight staining on the valve body itself and could be as slow as a quarter of an ounce per year. You have to decide if you can live with a slow leak, but a quart of CHF11S is about $15 and would keep a very slow leak at bay for years (just keeping the hydraulic fluid reservoir topped up).

$tealers are experts at going over a vehicle carefully to search for what on German cars is termed "sweating" or extremely slow leaks which the German cars are famous (or rather infamous) for. Obviously these searches just happen to begin after the vehicle is out of warranty as BMWNA would never pay for these egg hunts that the owner has not specifically complained about.
Thanks for the info. I'll ask the right questions to determine if I can live with it. I also found a few threads here where some ppl did DIY cheap and easy fixes that cost them under $50. Obviously, their leaks are because of a crack in the plastic pieces or something minor like that.

I'll report back once I get more information from the shop. As of now, I do not see any hydraulic related messages in my iDrive.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs235 View Post
That's what the independent shop suggested after a brief conversation. I didn't ask him a lot of details yet and I told him to hold off on it until I gather more information. So, as of now, the repair is on hold.

Thanks for the info. I'll ask the right questions to determine if I can live with it. I also found a few threads here where some ppl did DIY cheap and easy fixes that cost them under $50. Obviously, their leaks are because of a crack in the plastic pieces or something minor like that.

I'll report back once I get more information from the shop. As of now, I do not see any hydraulic related messages in my iDrive.
Have you seen any fluid on your garage floor?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Desi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
Have you seen any fluid on your garage floor?
Nothing on the floor. No drops what so ever. I'm just coming back from the shop and he said that I am good to go for a few thousand miles before it gets worse. Right now, there's just a stain and it is not a drip.

So I decided to not change the part right now and wait until the problem gets worse. I'll keep an eye on the hydraulic fluid levels.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:43 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
My 07 550i (sport package) has a hydraulic rear sway bar. My front bar was leaking which I fixed by tightening up the metal fittings and putting a hose clamp on one of the hoses. It's still nice and clean 2 months later. Here's the thread that inspired me:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=597901
Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 AM

Good to hear that there is a fix for a slow leak.

I researched having the hydraulic sway bar unit rebuilt but never found a place that advertised that they could do it. The natural choice would be a shop that rebuilds steering racks. I think the problem is availability of parts to rebuild them. ZF makes steering rack kits available to rebuilders (we have a good shop in Phoenix), in addition to offering their manufacturer's rebuilding service, but I have seen no reference to rebuild kits for the sway bar.

If anyone knows of a source of rebuild kits for ZF sway bars please update us.