Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM
shortstop shortstop is offline
Registered User
Location: san diego, ša
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xline
Removal of iPhone cradle

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/ausba...-t3775402.html

Please be advised i just found this link and have not tried it yet myself. That cradle is both worthless and in the way. Hope this helps.
__________________
shortstop
2014 X1 xline
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM
rotherd31 rotherd31 is offline
Registered User
Location: Lansing,Mi.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: X1 35i M-sport
I was just thinking the same exact thing this afternoon! Trouble is the link is a German site and I can't read german. Any hints?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM
rotherd31 rotherd31 is offline
Registered User
Location: Lansing,Mi.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: X1 35i M-sport
Here's a link and pics in English. Keep in mind it's the removal for an X3, but my guess is that the removal process will still work. Not sure at this point if the part # for the X1 cubby is the same or not.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ghlight=cradle

Last edited by rotherd31; 11-14-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 AM
zznalg zznalg is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: U.S. Southwest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 210
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
What is this cradle for?? I have an iPhone and supposedly it's meant to fit. But even the electronic connections seem to make no sense. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 AM
shortstop shortstop is offline
Registered User
Location: san diego, ša
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xline
I believe it is just to HOLD the iPhones but you still need an expensive adapter (@$200?)to hook it into the system. I could be wrong but i think that all this allows you to do over the wireless transmission of data is charge the phone. Even the dealers admitted it was a mistake by BMW to add the cradle. I could not get the cradle out of MY14 X1 as per the video above, so i ended up cutting it out with a dremel and razor knife. I left the cables and circuit board intact. Now i can put more stuff in that cubby. I don't know if i can sever those cables or not.
__________________
shortstop
2014 X1 xline
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Gort Gort is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: 2014 X1-35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
What is this cradle for?? I have an iPhone and supposedly it's meant to fit. But even the electronic connections seem to make no sense. Am I missing something?
The cradle is meant to hold an adapter specific to your cell phone. See below. It is like $250. It connects you to the car directly, charges the phone, and uses the sharkfin external antenna. To me it isn't necessary.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/43...cessories.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM
zznalg zznalg is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: U.S. Southwest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 210
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
The cradle is meant to hold an adapter specific to your cell phone. See below. It is like $250. It connects you to the car directly, charges the phone, and uses the sharkfin external antenna. To me it isn't necessary.

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/43...cessories.aspx
I wonder if anybody has this adaptor and likes it -and would recommend it?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Robocheme Robocheme is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
I wonder if anybody has this adaptor and likes it -and would recommend it?
I have the adapter for my 4S and my X3. The pluses are:

Improved phone reception via the car's attenna
Better iTunes interface
Frees up your USB port

The negatives are

$250
Requires removal of your iPhone cover (no matter how thin it is)
All other functions are available via white USB cord

I think it is waste of money and I won't get one for my 5S.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Robocheme Robocheme is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotherd31 View Post
Here's a link and pics in English. Keep in mind it's the removal for an X3, but my guess is that the removal process will still work. Not sure at this point if the part # for the X1 cubby is the same or not.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ghlight=cradle
Does anyone know the part no. for the replacement cubby for the X1?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Robocheme Robocheme is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotherd31 View Post
Here's a link and pics in English. Keep in mind it's the removal for an X3, but my guess is that the removal process will still work. Not sure at this point if the part # for the X1 cubby is the same or not.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ghlight=cradle
I was comparing my X3 to my X1 and they're quite different. I wouldn't attempt it on my X1 until someone post how-to-do-it instructions like the link above.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Gort Gort is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: 2014 X1-35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
I have the adapter for my 4S and my X3. The pluses are:

Improved phone reception via the car's attenna
Better iTunes interface
Frees up your USB port

The negatives are

$250
Requires removal of your iPhone cover (no matter how thin it is)
All other functions are available via white USB cord

I think it is waste of money and I won't get one for my 5S.

Curious as to what is "better" about the iTunes interface? How is it different?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:15 PM
shortstop shortstop is offline
Registered User
Location: san diego, ša
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xline
cradle cables

Is it possible to safely remove the cables and circuit board from the cradle/cubby area?
__________________
shortstop
2014 X1 xline
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2013, 05:10 AM
ht2 ht2 is offline
Registered User
Location: ca, usa
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: x1
4 cables are going in to "Telephone cradle, lower section" (see 6 of link below)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=51&fg=35

If we can remove "Telephone cradle, lower section", I think we can safely remove the cables and circuit board like X3 procedure.

Removing the Cell Phone Cradle from the Center Console X3 version.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836827

Last edited by ht2; 12-17-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Hen49 Hen49 is offline
Registered User
Location: N. California
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
How safely remove phone cradle.

1. Move forward front seats to max. Easy 10min job. I use 2 flathead screwdriver mid & small.
2. Start right bottom of back panel center console (with cigarette lighter).
3. Release snap clips (vertical grove) there are 3 clips on both side.
4. Slide forward the center armrest.
5. Pull back panel center console upward.
6. From right side push axle-pin.
7. From left side pull pin like 4 inch don't remove it.
8. Open cubby and remove phone cradle.
9. Reverse process.
Done.
One more cover hole inside cubby use thin cardboard or plastic + super glue.

Maybe some made few pics and better description how remove back panel of center console.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-19-2013, 05:59 PM
shortstop shortstop is offline
Registered User
Location: san diego, ša
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xline
cables removed!

Thanks to HEN49!!!
i had removed the cradle previously but following your instructions i was able to disconnect and remove all the cables and the circuit board that was left behind after removing the cradle. Now i've got plenty of room in the cubby.
Thanks again
__________________
shortstop
2014 X1 xline
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-20-2013, 02:14 PM
rotherd31 rotherd31 is offline
Registered User
Location: Lansing,Mi.
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: X1 35i M-sport
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen49 View Post
How safely remove phone cradle.

1. Move forward front seats to max. Easy 10min job. I use 2 flathead screwdriver mid & small.
2. Start right bottom of back panel center console (with cigarette lighter).
3. Release snap clips (vertical grove) there are 3 clips on both side.
4. Slide forward the center armrest.
5. Pull back panel center console upward.
6. From right side push axle-pin.
7. From left side pull pin like 4 inch don't remove it.
8. Open cubby and remove phone cradle.
9. Reverse process.
Done.
One more cover hole inside cubby use thin cardboard or plastic + super glue.

Maybe some made few pics and better description how remove back panel of center console.
I know you've already completed the project, but some photos would be great if you have the time to make a few.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 PM
MTSe84 MTSe84 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Mein Auto:
Was intrigued by this post until the just finish it off with a little cardboard and super glue on a brand new BMW step.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-24-2014, 02:35 PM
kepostil kepostil is offline
Registered User
Location: So. California
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2013 X1 28I
OMG! This phone cradle is the stupidest thing ever. I don't need it, don't have an Iphone and I use my phone via Bluetooth! Why could they just have it clip into the top of the console so it moves out of the way when you open it! That is my biggest pet peeve! I asked my dealer about removing it, and they said they would have to remove the whole console to do it! I think they just didn't want to hassle it. My vehicle is leased or I would do it myself.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-27-2014, 11:32 AM
cwickberg cwickberg is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 522
Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
I followed Hen49's instructions and it took about 15 minutes to remove and disconnect the wires. No need to disassemble the cradel, etc. just disconnect the harnesses and pass thru the hole.

When you remove the the back panel of the console, you pull out and up at the same time.

Great quick mod... Will likely plug the hole with a piece of thin plastic sheet or vinyl

Thanks to Hen49 for easy directions
__________________
2013 X1 3.5i MSport
2006 530xi Touring (gone)
2002 X5 4.6is (gone)
1995 525xit (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Robocheme Robocheme is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 45
Mein Auto: 2001 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen49 View Post
How safely remove phone cradle.

1. Move forward front seats to max. Easy 10min job. I use 2 flathead screwdriver mid & small.
2. Start right bottom of back panel center console (with cigarette lighter).
3. Release snap clips (vertical grove) there are 3 clips on both side.
4. Slide forward the center armrest.
5. Pull back panel center console upward.
6. From right side push axle-pin.
7. From left side pull pin like 4 inch don't remove it.
8. Open cubby and remove phone cradle.
9. Reverse process.
Done.
One more cover hole inside cubby use thin cardboard or plastic + super glue.

Maybe some made few pics and better description how remove back panel of center console.
A few questions -

Why do you need screwdrivers to move the seat forward? Is it to get the power seats pass where they naturally stop?
What does "Start right bottom of back panel center console (with cigarette lighter)." mean?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 PM
alanintx alanintx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Removal of iPhone cradle

Popped off the back console cover very easily.



Then figured out how to disconnect the 2 "antenna" type wires and the big BMW plastic connector with the two other wires.



Now, about that axle pin. Push from the right and pull from the left?



A simple push does not look like it will do the job. May have to whack it with a small nail to get it moving. Does that sound correct?

Last edited by alanintx; 02-28-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-01-2014, 08:23 AM
cwickberg cwickberg is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 522
Mein Auto: Cars and trucks and boats
I pushed it out from right to left ( from sitting in the back seat...)
I used an ice pick and gave the handle a little whack... Pushed out rather easily...

BTW, i found that you can order a cover piece for the hole left in the inside of the console.

it appears to be part number 51162991863

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...-bmw-part.aspx

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=51&fg=35


I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet though
__________________
2013 X1 3.5i MSport
2006 530xi Touring (gone)
2002 X5 4.6is (gone)
1995 525xit (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 AM
mscottc mscottc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Jersey City, NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: BMW 330i
I could not for the life of me figure out how to disconnect 3 of the 4 wires... any chance you can take a picture or somehow describe how you pulled the plugs apart? I wound up taking the innards apart and pulled the electronics out of the cradle. I then put the electronics back into the back of the console, but they're really stuffed in there very sloppily. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-01-2014, 12:18 PM
alanintx alanintx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottc View Post
I could not for the life of me figure out how to disconnect 3 of the 4 wires... any chance you can take a picture or somehow describe how you pulled the plugs apart? I wound up taking the innards apart and pulled the electronics out of the cradle. I then put the electronics back into the back of the console, but they're really stuffed in there very sloppily. Thank you.

There were 2 antenna type wires in a white plastic holder.

The bottom one seemed difficult, then I realized it just took a push on a pink part that acted as a lever and released the other side.

The top one has two blue tabs that need to be pushed in to release the other part

The 2 on bottom are connected to a BMW standard connector that has a plastic harness that needs to be slid down over the top.

The Pin... Well, I got it out, but realized it would have been easier if I pushed from the side with the tapered end (by passenger seat) . The other end has some ridges around it (that lock it in place) but I was able to knock it through and replace it.

The piece that covers the hole? Next time that you get an x1 loaner, while your car is in for service.......
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 PM
alanintx alanintx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
I pushed it out from right to left ( from sitting in the back seat...)
I used an ice pick and gave the handle a little whack... Pushed out rather easily...

BTW, i found that you can order a cover piece for the hole left in the inside of the console.

it appears to be part number 51162991863

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...-bmw-part.aspx

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...38&hg=51&fg=35


I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet though
Should have read this a bit more carefully. I went from left to right. It worked but it would have been easier the other way.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms