Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
Sneak peak at Q7 - Is this a rival for the new X5?

q7

The second-generation Audi Q7 is due to arrive next fall, and could be quite the rival for BMW's X5.

Since many would agree that the new X5 isn't so much 'new', Audi has made some radical changes to the Q7 that really make it stand out. In a good way. The new three dimensional trapezoidal grill sets off the front end and large side pods give a muscular look. Looks aren't everything though. This new Q7 is rumored to be up to 770 pounds lighter than the previous model. That's some serious weight loss, considering it's riding on a steel platform that incorporates aluminum. The latest Range Rover also lost a significant amount of weight, but it utilizes an all aluminum chassis.

All of the Q7s will have four wheel drive and an eight speed auto box in common. In the engine department you'll have some choosing to do. Options are expected to include 3.0 and 4.2 liter TDIs as well as 3.0 and 4.2 liter turbo gas models. An e-tron plug-in hybrid Q7 may even be included in the mix.

Sounds like some tough competition. What do you think?

Source Autoexpress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audi_q7.jpg
Views:	1563
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	407604  
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
770 lb less?!

Can't wait for this. I'm waiting for this to make my decision between the F15, facelifted Cayenne, or the new Q7.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i
I hate to say it, but I too am probably going to wait at least until the pcs and the specs of the Q7 are released. I was very, very close in ordering a new X5 M Sport, but decided to put it on hold just because of this!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
I test drove a TDI 2013 Q7 was very plush interior wise and the suspension was taut for a heavier vehicle.
It was definitely larger than the X5 and the 3 row seating is nicer but still small.
I ended up with the X5 for brand loyalty and the huge BMW discount that Audi could not match.
You would think the outgoing model Q7 would be discounted but I guess Audi doesn't think like that.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Out of brand loyalty, the X5 is still the vehicle that I want. Looking at the X5 M Sport, the thing that I hate the most are the "fake" cut-outs. My opinion is that if you put them there, make them functional. It's like putting on a fake hood-scoop!

The other vehicles that I will give consideration to are, Infiniti QX70, MB GL550, SQ5 and the Q7. I know that some of the vehicles don't match up with each other, but this is just my list of vehicles that I would purchase next. I need to know more about the new 2015 Q7 before I make any decisions. My warranty expires on my 50i next August, so I need to make a purchase before then.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5d
I'm sure there will be real intakes when the 2014 X5 M is available :-). I'm sure some 3rd party or OEM will come out to replace the cut outs.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 x35i M-Sport
Before I start, just want to let all know that I currently drive an Audi S5 and love it. I'm a fan of Audi. Nonetheless, these are my opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie@Bimmerfest View Post
The second-generation Audi Q7 is due to arrive next fall, and could be quite the rival for BMW's X5.

Since many would agree that the new X5 isn't so much 'new', Audi has made some radical changes to the Q7 that really make it stand out. In a good way. The new three dimensional trapezoidal grill sets off the front end and large side pods give a muscular look. Looks aren't everything though.
I believe X5 is more "new" than the Q7. Here are couple of my reasons. Currently, the only BMW line up that shares the attached kidney grill to lights is the 3 Series. X5 is the newest after that. All other series will follow suit, including the incorporation of top and bottom trimmed halo headlight rings. Also, X5 followed suit with the narrow rear lights like the X3, which I suspect rest of the X-Series will follow. In the interior department, the free standing display seems to be the theme (3 Series, 6 Series, etc). Now X5 has it.

Compare this to the Q7. All Audi line ups have a trapezoidal grill already. Q7 is one of the last vehicles to get this. I believe the TT still doesn't have the trapezoidal grill with strip LED DRL. The interior will have generally similar Audi theme, but Q7 will have the same MMI that's currently in all the Audis. Will the Q7 have the A7/Q8 digital pad input system? We'll see about that.

Whereas X5 is one of the first vehicles to incorporate BMW's latest themes, Q7 is playing catch up.

Quote:
This new Q7 is rumored to be up to 770 pounds lighter than the previous model. That's some serious weight loss, considering it's riding on a steel platform that incorporates aluminum. The latest Range Rover also lost a significant amount of weight, but it utilizes an all aluminum chassis.
One of Q7's Achilles' heal was its near 5500lbs weight. This was a major complaint throughout all the reviews it has received. So, for it to lose close to 800lbs is a welcome sign, but that's how it SHOULD'VE been from the beginning....which means Q7 is playing catch up, again.

Quote:
All of the Q7s will have four wheel drive and an eight speed auto box in common. In the engine department you'll have some choosing to do. Options are expected to include 3.0 and 4.2 liter TDIs as well as 3.0 and 4.2 liter turbo gas models. An e-tron plug-in hybrid Q7 may even be included in the mix.
Audi's 4.2 turbo isn't "new" either. Had it between 2007 and 2009. That's like saying X5 isn't really "new" because it uses the same engine from other cars, so this is a wash between the two cars.

All in all, my opinion is that X5 is one of the leaders in incorporating the new design themes of BMW, whereas Q7 is one of the last. With that said, I think the F15 is more "new" than the new Q7.

BTW, I read somewhere current Audi's MMI still doesn't allow BT streaming...I could be wrong. But, if I'm not, I sure hope they fixed that. My S5 doesn't have BT streaming either, and I attribute this to it being an older model (2010). But my wife's 2012 minivan has it...and for Audi to still not have that....hmm. I know BT streaming isn't the best audio source option....but you'd expect a luxury car brand to have it with the money we're paying.

Audi makes beautiful cars with great engines. But in this case (X5 vs. Q7), X5 all the way.

Z.

Last edited by Zipforia; 11-16-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
After significant weight loss 2015 Q7 with 4.0 V8 and PDK transmission could be a very strong competitor for F15
I am a big fan of A8 interior and not so much A6/S6 therefore if new Q7 will be closer to A8 interms of interior design it will a huge plus IMO.
We have to waite and test drive but as a true car lover i welcome a new competition for X5
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103
Old 11-16-2013, 02:24 PM

I think that the Audi 4.2 is a new engine, in both the TDI version and the turbo version. I think that they had a 4.2, but it was not a forced air engine, I might be wrong though.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
I think that the Audi 4.2 is a new engine, in both the TDI version and the turbo version. I think that they had a 4.2, but it was not a forced air engine, I might be wrong though.
Q7 had 4.2 TDI from 2007 to 2009. TDI is turbocharged (Turbocharged Direct Injection).

Z.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Audi is great at selling at Msrp or above. This is quite a pita if your into the invoice+ pricing with BMW. 2014 is still the current Q7 so expect clearance sales next year around this time. Do note however clearance at Audi does not mean anything in the way of pricing. These cars are sold as close to MSRP as possible

That being said:
The q7 in the rendering seems handsome. The actual Q7 spy shots make the successor to be a mommy mobile in the design department (harsh but thats what the spy shots reveal):

Comparison: (Between current and future)

Current Q7's spy shots back in the day:

Current Q7 in Real Life:

Spy Shots of the 2015 Q7

Rendering of the 2015 Q7

Current's spy shots Q7 to the QX60

Not really digging the spy shots. Interior Wise this is gonna be the kicker. The new design language of the X5 is gorgeous. The Audi A6 and 8 which resembles the brands new interior direction is also quite a masterpiece. They already have handwriting input so the q7 will get that. However the only downside is they have yet to offer an answer to BMWs 6WA and B instrument clusters, and a better screen. The current screen is squareish and dimensionally challenged when compared to the X5. Other than that, everything is on par, and sometimes a cut above the rest. Lets the German CUV competition begin!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 11-19-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: blown 383 nova, ml350, X3
wow, so much better looking than the x5 it's ridiculous. bmw get a clue.....
Old 11-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
It looks like it will be a real head turner~! One thing I suspect is that the underpinnings will be very close to or identical to the Cayenne's -- especially in the diesel and base levels. Since they are all in the VA(P)G now it makes sense to use as many common parts/systems as possible without compromising the premium brand (Porsche) IMHO. I don't know what this portends for the T-egg however, it may be expanded to a three rower -- sort of a Q7 for the masses I guess.