Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: 83' 323is, 07' MINI JCW+
BMW confirms no SUV for the BMW i line

”blah”

BMW's i division, while looking to expand their brand line-up in the future, has ruled out the addition of an SUV to the mix.

“We’re thinking about a few options. But we have time [to bring it to market]. We’re not thinking about SUV on i models. For BMW i we are talking about an urban concept for megacities. The thing with the SUVs is nobody, more than 90 per cent, needs four-wheel drive for the city. The SUV trend is only a thing about the space or the roominess.”

So, with the SUV idea ruled out, it looks like a more spacious sedan to fill the gap between the i3 city car and the i8 supercar would be the way to go. Now will they go as far as the Tesla Model S, in comfort and performance? Personally I'd like to see a Model S competitor. Any thoughts?

-Source Inautonews
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw-i3-world-debut-047.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	407636  
Ads by Google
Old 12-14-2013, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528I
The parts that are missing from their thinking:
- A vehicle is not just transportation, it is a back - up plan
- In theory at least, a full charged electric vehicle, especially one with even a small re-charge get-set capability, would be a major asset in a disaster.
- Pretty much anywhere in the US is subject to some kind of natural disasters or significant weather events. Snow storms, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. A vehicle with a place to plug in your home to keep the basics going can save lives.
- There is a very real chance that your family might need to spend a few nights in your vehicle during a disaster.

Further, there is a significant market for a vehicle that can be a "portable office", which is climate controlled and has full AC power to run accessories, like computers, etc.

In CA at least, any vehicle that cannot go to Lake Tahoe for skiing / snow play is not high-end, IMHO.

It takes at least a Yukon or Yukon XL size vehicle to pull this off, not some tiny I3 size product.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Traded M5 for Volt!?!?
tons of comments on the Volt forum over the years about how folks would love a small SUV based on Volt technology...this market seems perfect for this tech.