Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
battery

I have read exhaustively on this battery replacement issue and want to have my understanding confirmed or corrected here. My battery in my 328i is going to need to be replaced soon. My understanding is if I replace it w/the exact same specs, I only have to have the new battery registered. If new battery is different specs, I will have to have new battery registered and car re-programmed. I have found a battery w/exact specs as my OEM. What happens when you register a new battery and what happens if you don't?
Ads by Google
Old 11-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
You can replace it with anything, the registration process punches in the spec of the new battery. Duralast ... Interstate megatron plus, whatevs
Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebol View Post
I have read exhaustively on this battery replacement issue and want to have my understanding confirmed or corrected here. My battery in my 328i is going to need to be replaced soon. My understanding is if I replace it w/the exact same specs, I only have to have the new battery registered. If new battery is different specs, I will have to have new battery registered and car re-programmed. I have found a battery w/exact specs as my OEM. What happens when you register a new battery and what happens if you don't?

Anything but a 'cross-out' battery requires the car to be re-programmed, you say?

Wow! Give us your references on that, please....

Every battery requires registration, identical replacement or no.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
I just completed a battery replacement using the same wet cell type as the original. After installation I had to initialize the steering sensors by turning hard left and hard right. Date and time had to be reset as well.

After the installation I checked charging voltage with the car idling and got 13.9 volts which I consider normal for a wet cell starting battery. I then checked with a BMW dealer about registration and declined the 1 hour process as it would have cost more than the battery.

I'm comfortable that the battery will not be harmed and that normal charging is taking place so I plan to leave it as is. The BMW service advisor agreed.

To give BMW engineers some credit for their battery management routine, the original 7 year old battery had a resting voltage of 11.9 yet it would start the car and not cause faults. I was concerned about sub zero temperatures coming soon so I made the change.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1200 View Post
I just completed a battery replacement using the same wet cell type as the original. After installation I had to initialize the steering sensors by turning hard left and hard right. Date and time had to be reset as well.

After the installation I checked charging voltage with the car idling and got 13.9 volts which I consider normal for a wet cell starting battery. I then checked with a BMW dealer about registration and declined the 1 hour process as it would have cost more than the battery.

I'm comfortable that the battery will not be harmed and that normal charging is taking place so I plan to leave it as is. The BMW service advisor agreed.

To give BMW engineers some credit for their battery management routine, the original 7 year old battery had a resting voltage of 11.9 yet it would start the car and not cause faults. I was concerned about sub zero temperatures coming soon so I made the change.

Dude! New batteries charge somewhat diff than very old units. Do THIS. One hour indeed....
Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskye View Post
You can replace it with anything, the registration process punches in the spec of the new battery. Duralast ... Interstate megatron plus, whatevs
No it doesn't. Coding tells the vehicle if there is a different battery installed. You can't set whatever values you want. There are profiles you activate. They range from 56Ah to 110Ah non-AGM and AGM.

Registration tells the car there is a new battery installed. Resets changing profiles. Stores a reference point at 80% capacity. It also logs mileage.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-16-2013, 05:51 PM

Given that registration logs capacity and battery type along with setting a 80% threshold, I don't see the need for the process if the new battery has the same attributes as the old one. These parameters are already set correctly.

The one hour of service quote from BMW was for a total reprogramming which they said was a three step process. Registration only was not possible using their procedures and automated tools.

Thats when I decided to leave the registration as is when replacing the battery with one of identical capacity and type.

If there are problems in the future, I'll let you know.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
There was a pretty lengthy discussion about all of this earlier this year that contained a lot of good information.

Check out this thread.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
I just went through my own review of BMW battery replacement and ended up using an indy mechanic to just replace what I have. Like or not, BMW uses a formula in the engine computer to adjust charging rates as a battery ages. There are different formulas for different battery types and capacity. Even if you use exactly the same type and capacity, if you don't register the battery, you will shorten its life. If you change the battery type from flooded lead acid to absorbed glass mat, or a bigger capacity you have to code the computer to a different formula for charging. It's not clear to me whether you just code it to use a different formula or you have to download the formula for the new code as well. The shop I used always just replaces what is in the car to avoid problems with coding.

The whole process seems to be yet another example of how BMW has overcomplicated what used to be a simple DIY process and made it vastly more complicated and expensive with little or no value to the customer.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
I just went through my own review of BMW battery replacement and ended up using an indy mechanic to just replace what I have. Like or not, BMW uses a formula in the engine computer to adjust charging rates as a battery ages. There are different formulas for different battery types and capacity. Even if you use exactly the same type and capacity, if you don't register the battery, you will shorten its life. If you change the battery type from flooded lead acid to absorbed glass mat, or a bigger capacity you have to code the computer to a different formula for charging. It's not clear to me whether you just code it to use a different formula or you have to download the formula for the new code as well. The shop I used always just replaces what is in the car to avoid problems with coding.

The whole process seems to be yet another example of how BMW has overcomplicated what used to be a simple DIY process and made it vastly more complicated and expensive with little or no value to the customer.
Programming a differently spec'd battery activates profiles. There is nothing to download or flash to the car.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
I'm not going to pay more for registration than what a new battery costs. So what if it only lasts half as long, I'm still way ahead of the game. Not a single issue yet. Where I'm from that's called a no brainer.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:02 PM

I'm skipping the registration process and using an identical replacement battery. So far my measurements show nothing abnormal about the charging rate and a battery that size can take abuse even if charging is too high. The parameters of registration are the same for both new and old battery and I'm thinking that smart BMW engineers would design to sense a fresh battery just as they sense an aging battery. With less voltage drop for the current taken the charging algorithm should adjust down just as it adjusts up.

So far the new battery is fine and the next 7 years will tell.