Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: '11 BMW E90 328xi
Rims for 2011 328i E90 Xdrive - What should I look for?

Hello everybody,

I am new to the community as I am new to BMW altogether.
I have been searching the forums for suggestions on what rims to get for my car to outfit it with winter tires. The current tires are 225/45/R17 91H Continental run flats and I would like to get a set of rims (off Kijiji or eBay). I am still unclear about what rims would be compatible with my car. I read about offset and I am trying to make an informed purchase as most sellers do not specify this in the descriptions or over the phone. Also, I am still unclear if there is a difference between Xdrive and RWD models. Mine is a 4-door non-sport version with Xdrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ObsoletePower; 11-15-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sport Pkg
As you've already found out, there's a plethora of rims out there for BMW's. Sometimes you can narrow the search down to your specific model. Also, look at the classified section here.

I went through this w/ my '11 335xi a couple months ago. This is what I found out:
- There is a difference btwn RWD and AWD but not exactly sure what since we're only talking about AWD
- Your stock 17" size is good for the snow (thinner is better in snow; no riding on top of snow layer). But if you do want a change, I found this calculator useful.
- I found out that my 18" staggered rims had a 30mm offset up front (8" rim width) and 34mm offset in rear (8.5" rim width). But it looks like you may be at 34mm.

So if you go w/ 17" rims w/ a 34mm offset you should be ok, but definitely comfirm w/ another source. Another way to verify your rims spec's is to take one off and look on the inside for markings similar to pic's attached (though the nomeclature may not be exactly the same). In this case, 7.5Jx17H2 ET45 means this rims is 7.5" wide x 17" tall w/ an offset of 45mm. A thing to remember; usually the smaller the offset, the more the wheel will protrude towards the outside of the car. See here for offset explanation.

Once you've got that, get a set of Nokian Hakkepalitta R2 tires and rip it up!

Oh ya! Check this rim link from E90, it may help.

Lastly, if the seller can't give the spec's; go to another place as they may not know their a$$ from a hole in the ground! Would you want them to work on your new car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130929_134257.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	407719  

2011 335xi Sport Package, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, 18" Beyern Staggered, Glossy Black Grill

Yes, I ran the Terminator 3 girl over to get this paint job!!!

Last edited by stones399; 11-15-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stones399 View Post
As you've already found out, there's a plethora of rims out there for BMW's. Sometimes you can narrow the search down to your specific model. Also, look at the classified section here.

I went through this w/ my '11 335xi a couple months ago. This is what I found out:
- There is a difference btwn RWD and AWD but not exactly sure what since we're only talking about AWD
- Your stock 17" size is good for the snow (thinner is better in snow; no riding on top of snow layer). But if you do want a change, I found this calculator useful.
- I found out that my 18" staggered rims had a 30mm offset up front (8" rim width) and 34mm offset in rear (8.5" rim width). But it looks like you may be at 34mm.

So if you go w/ 17" rims w/ a 34mm offset you should be ok, but definitely comfirm w/ another source. Another way to verify your rims spec's is to take one off and look on the inside for markings similar to pic's attached (though the nomeclature may not be exactly the same). In this case, 7.5Jx17H2 ET45 means this rims is 7.5" wide x 17" tall w/ an offset of 45mm. A thing to remember; usually the smaller the offset, the more the wheel will protrude towards the outside of the car. See here for offset explanation.

Once you've got that, get a set of Nokian Hakkepalitta R2 tires and rip it up!

Oh ya! Check this rim link from E90, it may help.

Lastly, if the seller can't give the spec's; go to another place as they may not know their a$$ from a hole in the ground! Would you want them to work on your new car?
Hey thanks very much for the info, it's very thorough and will definitely ramp up my search for rims now that I am more familiar.

I would like to stick to the style of rim that came stock with my car. With that being said, I have yet to come across a set on Kijiji but I will definitely look through the classified section on here.
Thanks again!

Btw, your car looks bad-ass!!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Just make sure you get a square setup.

There are 2 reasons.

1) if the rolling diameters of the front vs rear tires are not within 1% of each other, there is the potential to lock up the transfer case. You can run a staggered setup but you'll need to stretch tires which reduces sidewall and sacrifices ride quality and rim protection.

2) BMW are setup to understeer from the factory. Xdrive models suffers much more from this. Running a staggered setup increases understeer. Personally this is something I don't want. Some don't care, others have no idea what understeer is and just ignore it.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 11-16-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Just make sure you get a square setup.

There are 2 reasons.

1) if the rolling diameters of the front vs rear tires are not within 1% of each other, there is the potential to lock up the transfer case. You can run a staggered setup but you'll need to stretch tires which reduces sidewall and sacrifices ride quality and rim protection.

2) BMW are setup to understeer from the factory. Xdrive models suffers much more from this. Running a staggered setup increases understeer. Personally this is something I don't want. Some don't care, others have no idea what understeer is and just ignore it.
I am not going to get a staggered setup but rather stick with 225/45/17 on all 4 wheels. Yeah I do agree with you about Xdrive and understeer, I certainly do feel it (having previously owned a RWD car). Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsoletePower View Post
Hello everybody,

I am new to the community as I am new to BMW altogether.
I have been searching the forums for suggestions on what rims to get for my car to outfit it with winter tires. The current tires are 225/45/R17 91H Continental run flats and I would like to get a set of rims (off Kijiji or eBay). I am still unclear about what rims would be compatible with my car. I read about offset and I am trying to make an informed purchase as most sellers do not specify this in the descriptions or over the phone. Also, I am still unclear if there is a difference between Xdrive and RWD models. Mine is a 4-door non-sport version with Xdrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
On ebay it is easy to get BMW replica for cheap. You can even search with keywords BMW wheels 17"
Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Coupe
Personally I'd just get a complete set from Tirerack. That's what I did this year. Ordered Mon came on Tues.