Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-16-2013, 03:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2010 335d
2010 335d High pressure charger and HGR cooler problem - thoughts?

I have a 2010 335d with 60K miles. I live in the country of Georgia where diesel quality can sometimes be suspect. I was driving the other day and suddenly there was practically no power. Absolutely no low end power, and car finally lunges forward a bit after 50MPH or so. Screen displayed Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power and Service Engine Soon light lit up. Dealer found two codes:

DDE 4530 - reading online this is "charge air pressure control, control deviation". In the printout (which I am translating from Russian) it says "Regulation of supercharger pressure, degree of high pressure, deviation: too low pressure" And in the printout, it also says there is a code P0299 - they said high pressure charger failed due to low pressure. I don't know what difference is between these types of codes...

DDE 4873 - not sure what this is. In printout says "Discharge valve (well, not really sure how to translate the Russian here) of cooler of the system of recirculation of exhausted gases is defective or coefficient of useful operation is too high" And then there is also this P2457 code - they said this is an intercooler event due to it not cooling the gas enough. Ahhh, just realized this is referring to Exhaust Gas Recirculation...

These mechanics are not that skilled here. They simply reset the codes and told me to come back if the problem still persisted. Well of course the problem is still there.

Any idea what the root cause could be? Could bad diesel be the cause of it all and how would I go about knowing what to clean/replace, if it is indeed an issue with some valve or something that is having second, third order effects?

One other thing to mention: About a week before this problem, I filled up the adblue. I bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Emissio...626475-6235218 Could this be related?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Last edited by bhuether; 11-16-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2013, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuether View Post
I have a 2010 335d with 60K miles. I live in the country of Georgia where diesel quality can sometimes be suspect. I was driving the other day and suddenly there was practically no power. Screen displayed Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power and Service Engine Soon light lit up. Dealer found two codes:

DDE 4530 - reading online this is "charge air pressure control, control deviation". In the printout (which I am translating from Russian) it says "Regulation of supercharger pressure, degree of high pressure, deviation: too low pressure" And in the printout, it also says there is a code P0299 - they said high pressure charger failed due to low pressure. I don't know what difference is between these types of codes...

DDE 4873 - not sure what this is. In printout says "Discharge valve (well, not really sure how to translate the Russian here) of cooler of the system of recirculation of exhausted gases is defective or coefficient of useful operation is too high" And then there is also this P2457 code - they said this is an intercooler event due to it not cooling the gas enough

These mechanics are not that skilled here. They simply reset the codes and told me to come back if the problem still persisted. Well of course the problem is still there. No power. Don't get me going about the skill of the mecahnics here...

Any idea what the root cause could be? Could bad diesel be the cause of it all and how would I go about knowing what to clean/replace, if it is indeed an issue with some valve or something that is having second, third order effects?

Russian? Guessing the Monterey you list as home base isn't in California. But pic looks like California.
Guess: turbo wastegate failure, open. You should go to a diesel forum, which this isn't, for detail.

Russian? Wha?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 AM

I bought the car in Monterey, then moved. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I bought the car in Monterey, then moved. Thanks for the reply.

What, to Sebastopol? Or really planet flip side?

You may be interested in this excellent video:

I know! Posted in another thread here, but is just too choice not to do it again....German engineering Down Under....way down....
Old 11-16-2013, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Maybe boost leak. Check all the air ducting as well as vacuum lines.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335D
hpff?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Maybe boost leak. Check all the air ducting as well as vacuum lines.
Water in the diesel could cause all manner of codes. Based on location and quality of fuel concerns, I would first rule out bad fuel. There is a fuel filter (about the size of a Red Bull energy drink canister) mounted close to the firewall (RHS if memory serves). Replace the filter and cut open the old one. If the old filter has water in it, you are probably looking at new fuel injection system (pump, rail, injectors, and, and, and) parts.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:19 PM

Yesterday I noticed that around 40 or 50 MPH, the car suddenly would deliver power. Today, it was 0-40 in about 20 seconds and then it just leveled off around 40 and would not go faster. Just wondering if this bit of info makes any of the suspected causes more or less likely. The car is at the shop now, but you know here in Georgia (country, not state), the mechanics are not experienced with diesels. Almost all BMWs here are gas. Too bad a I can't rent a German mechanic...

thanks,
Brian
Old 11-18-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Yesterday I noticed that around 40 or 50 MPH, the car suddenly would deliver power. Today, it was 0-40 in about 20 seconds and then it just leveled off around 40 and would not go faster. Just wondering if this bit of info makes any of the suspected causes more or less likely. The car is at the shop now, but you know here in Georgia (country, not state), the mechanics are not experienced with diesels. Almost all BMWs here are gas. Too bad a I can't rent a German mechanic...

thanks,
Brian

Gosh-a-mighty, man, this is the WRONG FORUM for DIESEL!

You really, really need to find the diesel place. Start HERE

Flaps, turbo....both highly suspect. Search and ye shall find!

Name:  Sick [1].gif
Views: 171
Size:  5.7 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-18-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:34 AM

Wait....wait....I see your post! E90POST....

....a more informative post....the kind o'post that yields result, as you've seen....OK!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-18-2013 at 06:37 AM.