Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-16-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 328I coupe / VStrom DL650
New owner with four pressing questions

I've been a long time observer, and rarely posted. I just purchased a CPO 328I coupe with 27.1K on the Odometer. I don't know if I got a good deal because the dealer refused to budge off a $25.7K price. Instead, they threw in a bunch of oddities like:

1. Two BMW baseball caps (I don't wear hats/caps),
2. Two BMW coffee travel containers (I don't drink coffee),
3. A new set of mats (nothing wrong with the old set),
4. Added more money to the trade-in (ok….that was good),
5. And agreed to make/waive the first two car payments.

I would have preferred that just added all those items together and just discounted the car. And of course they refused.

1st question (1 of 4) - Can anyone tell me why they choose to work this way….giving away stuff instead of just lowering the price of the car? I can't make sense of it; kind of odd….in a scary sort of way.

2nd question (2 of 4) – Is there only one key? Most car dealers give two. Is this normal or am I being cheated here.

3rd question (3 of 4) – Is the 328I always so …. thirsty.

4th question – I haven't told anyone yet. People are going to find out sooner or later. But now that I am a BMW owner, will others think of me as an uppity snob. (Right...like I really care )

The car smells funny. Like a cheap motel room.
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
2. The car should have two key fobs. Replacements must be programmed by a dealer and are not cheap.

3. Over 30k miles, my CPO '07 328i wagon's fuel consumption has varied from 19.0 mpg to 29.6 with an average of 24.1. Like most cars, it does not do well with short ( less than 5 miles) trips when cold and heavy traffic, but I have no complaints.

Tom
Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: E90
Thumbs up My personal opinion

Hello,

I will give you my .02 cents.

1st question (1 of 4) - Can anyone tell me why they choose to work this way…..giving away stuff instead of just lowering the price of the car? I can't make sense of it; kind of odd…..in a scary sort of way.
I THINK THEY GAVE YOU LESS THAN $160.00 DOLLARS IN STUFF 'VS' REDUCING A COUPLE OF HUNDRED DOLLARS THE PRICE. AND THE MADE IN CHINA HATS AND COFFE MUGS. HOWEVER YOU CAN SELL THE OLD OR NEW FLOOR MATTS AND THIS FORUM VERY FAST AND GET CASH ON YOUR HANDS.

2nd question (2 of 4) – Is there only one key? Most car dealers give two. Is this normal or am I being cheated here.
YOU SHOULD 'DEMAND " TO GET A SECON KEY/FOB. RIGHT THERE YOU MIGHT HAVE TO SPEND (+ -) $200.00 PLUS PROGRAMING THE FOB. $$$$$

3rd question (3 of 4) – Is the 328I always so ….. thirsty.
WHAT YEAR IS YOUR CAR? DO YOU HAVE THE SPORT DRIVE? DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE LOW MILEAGE YOU ARE GETTING FROM THE CAR, BUT IF YOU DO I THINK THE AVERAGE IS 19 TO 24 MPG.

4th question – I haven't told anyone yet. People are going to find out sooner or later. But now that I am a BMW owner, will others think of me as an uppity snob. (Right...like I really care )
YES, THAT COMES FOR FREE WITH YOU BIMMER.

ENJOY AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Last edited by sportrider3000; 11-16-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 AM
puppet master

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
I've gotten 33 MPG Hwy in the 325i several times, (same 3.0 as your 328), but I rarely get more than 29 in the 335. City mileage is worse: 20 in the 325,(22 if I baby it), 16-19 in the 335. I say all of this to point out that I tend to drive the 335 a lot harder, so I don't expect it to do as well. However, I have a tune on the 335 that almost doubles the HP #'s of the 325, so a 3 MPG loss is very acceptable to me.
I've made the same comparisons between the 325i and the Honda Civic it replaced in my mind, and even though the loss was bigger, (5 MPG less city and hwy), the payoff of bigger size, comfort, safety, road feel, awesome brakes, styling, power, etc., to me makes it a no brainer.
As for the key fob, I would ask the dealer to replace the missing one at his cost. I made the mistake of buying an Odyssey for my wife with only one key, but I lucked out in that I was able to purchase a second key on the internet, then have a Honda dealer code it. BMW doesn't give you that option. You must purchase from the dealer, and it's not cheap!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Question 1: I'm sure they had their reasons. In the end does it matter? As long as you're satisfied with the deal that's ultimately what matters.

Question 2: There should be two key fobs. If you didn't receive the second one it's likely they didn't receive it from the previous owner. Wouldn't hurt to ask them to check.

Question 3: What do you consider "thirsty"?

Question 4: Some will, some won't.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
17 to 18 town up to 30 on flat highway.

17 to 18 town up to 30 on a flat highway cruise with little traffic.
They aren't that good in town and are terrible for really short drives.

Yes demand a second keyfob.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier6162 View Post
I've been a long time observer, and rarely posted. I just purchased a CPO 328I coupe with 27.1K on the Odometer. I don't know if I got a good deal because the dealer refused to budge off a $25.7K price. Instead, they threw in a bunch of oddities like:

I would have preferred that just added all those items together and just discounted the car. And of course they refused.

1st question (1 of 4) - Can anyone tell me why they choose to work this way….giving away stuff instead of just lowering the price of the car? I can't make sense of it; kind of odd….in a scary sort of way.

See sportrider's reply for questions 1 and 2.

My (MT) 328's mpg ranges from high teens in the city to as high as mid 30's on the road.

3 Series is too common for snobbery unless it's an M3.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Premiums #4 & #5 are very good, but items #1, #2; #3....really.....no donuts?
Old 11-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Premiums #4 & #5 are very good, but items #1, #2; #3....really.....no donuts?
One would think that making the first two payments on my behalf was a premium. Just checked their website. It is standard practice for all CPOs during the holiday periods. And to think that if I had not been such an a$$hole while haggling, they…he…the salesperson would have gladly omitted it.

I wonder what would have happened to the, “Up to $1000 Holiday Payment Credit” funds if I had not insisted on a price reduction. I steamed a little when I discovered the salesperson also forgot to mention that slight detail to the finance officer. She had to redo most of the paperwork.

By-the-way, I’m waiting on a call from the CPO sales manager about the missing key fob. I’m loving the car…I’m starting to become emotionally attached to it. I hated the sales experience. I felt like I was dealing with shady used car salespeople.

I know I was working with a fine dealership. I just think my salesperson was less than honest with me about a lot of things. I will not fault BMW or the dealership because of one shady salesperson. But I expected the same professional demeanor that Lexus, Porsche, Infinity and Mercedes demonstrated. And since all five are within a biscuit throw of each other (really…there are that close to one another) I had expected everyone would be on their best behavior. I will express my feeling on the up-coming survey.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335D
Dude, don't get caught up on small stuff. We all have to spend extra on almost everything due to brand. I'd say f everything and turn some heads with it. there
Old 11-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Looks like the Coffee mugs were the deal breaker....Better start drinking the Joe.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRated View Post
Dude, don't get caught up on small stuff. We all have to spend extra on almost everything due to brand. I'd say f everything and turn some heads with it. there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Looks like the Coffee mugs were the deal breaker....Better start drinking the Joe.

Yea, ya'll right.
No more negativity. Promise.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Did you not test drive or test drove when you had stuffy nose? It might be a car belonged to a smoker and they tried their best to sanitize it. no experience w/this product.
http://www.target.com/p/refresh-your...z/-/A-13717361

Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:

The BMW junk costs them virtually nothing. They would rather have your money.

Quote:

As others have said -- It should have two, and no more or less than two remotes. You can buy an extra plastic emergency key for your wallet, but the car is limited to two remotes.

Quote:

I do mainly short distance driving. My mileage is much worse than 19 MPG. So bad that I don't look at it.

Quote:

They don't think of us as an uppity snobs. They think of us as arrogant ********.

Quote:

Mine (purchased new) smells vaguely like a neglected dead cow. I dunno about BMW smells. BMWs always used to smell sweet and moldy when they used real horsehair to pad the seat cushions.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
Did you not test drive or test drove when you had stuffy nose? It might be a car belonged to a smoker and they tried their best to sanitize it. no experience w/this product.
http://www.target.com/p/refresh-your...z/-/A-13717361

Thanks. I know the order will abate in a couple of weeks or more. In the meantime I've used Griot's Garage Leather Scent. Worked extremely well in my IS350. In the BMW it gives the interior a very expensive, deep and rich leathery fragrance …....in a cheap motel room.

Last edited by Xavier6162; 11-18-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
As for the cheap motel room smell, check the rug and the padding under it. Also check the trunk under the carpeted cover. Could be you have a water leak/intrusion that's causing a musty smell. You'll want to get this resolved ASAP.