Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-16-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 series
A tough problem, a challenge for you masters

2006 325i 160K miles, daily driver

First, my 325i started jumping and jerking under heavy load at around 3000 - 4000rpm. didnt know what it was. One time the car jerked (almost like a misfire or a tranny slip) and a SEL came on with three or four other warning lights - traction control, tire pressure, brake light, four or five warnings total. Then they would go off when I shut off and restarted. Jerking didnt stop though.

Decided to start with the coils and plugs (havent been done since before 100K), and just got finished with those a little while ago. took out for a test drive and it seems to have improved the problem.

Here is the issue: all the warning lights stay on now and the car has a really tough time starting. I noticed driving that I couldnt get it too jerk or jump so I may have fixed that problem - although the power feels a little sluggish - but I dont like how hard it has to work to start (sometimes more than 6-7 seconds) and that all of the lights stay on (including SEL) The code it gives is a crankshaft position sensor.

Alrighty BMW magicians. What is my next move? I already bought oxygen sensors because I thought I might need them to fix the jerk, now that doesnt seem smart to replace those. help help help!
Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmagicman View Post
2006 325i 160K miles, daily driver

First, my 325i started jumping and jerking under heavy load at around 3000 - 4000rpm. didnt know what it was. One time the car jerked (almost like a misfire or a tranny slip) and a SEL came on with three or four other warning lights - traction control, tire pressure, brake light, four or five warnings total. Then they would go off when I shut off and restarted. Jerking didnt stop though.

Decided to start with the coils and plugs (havent been done since before 100K), and just got finished with those a little while ago. took out for a test drive and it seems to have improved the problem.

Here is the issue: all the warning lights stay on now and the car has a really tough time starting. I noticed driving that I couldnt get it too jerk or jump so I may have fixed that problem - although the power feels a little sluggish - but I dont like how hard it has to work to start (sometimes more than 6-7 seconds) and that all of the lights stay on (including SEL) The code it gives is a crankshaft position sensor.

Alrighty BMW magicians. What is my next move? I already bought oxygen sensors because I thought I might need them to fix the jerk, now that doesnt seem smart to replace those. help help help!

There is a directory of owner/operator fixes available online....click HERE for an exhaustive list!

All issues seem to be consistent w/crankshaft position sensor.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
There is a directory of owner/operator fixes available online....click HERE for an exhaustive list!

All issues seem to be consistent w/crankshaft position sensor.

hmm. That would be an easy fix. Would that be consistent with the warning lights and such? that doesnt make sense?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
hmm. That would be an easy fix. Would that be consistent with the warning lights and such? that doesnt make sense?

Yeah - was thinking of on-road behavior.

Especially like the tire press warning. Have you checked your battery? Video
Old 11-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Battery is all good, Replaced last year and turns it over hard.

Not sure whether to do the crankshaft or just let the BMW guys charge me an arm and a leg to figure it out.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:04 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
If it isn't related to a sensor be it crank or cam I would like to ask if your car came under the battery cable replacement bulletin? Some but not all of your symptoms are consistent with a problem like that.
Codes are not steering you to a solution?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
If it isn't related to a sensor be it crank or cam I would like to ask if your car came under the battery cable replacement bulletin? Some but not all of your symptoms are consistent with a problem like that.
Codes are not steering you to a solution?
Thats just it. I am not sure if the codes are leading me to something, but warning lights and the SEL code I get (P0335) dont seem to be consistent. Also, I think I fixed the jerking problem, albiet I have been scared to really drive it hard with all of the other lights lighting up on the dash.

Should I change the Crank pos sensor and see what happens? or take it to the dealership and pay the outrageous diagnostic fees?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Start looking at the DIY's for Crankshaft Sensor.

Start looking at the DIY's for Crankshaft Sensor.
There are a few try googling them.
There have been several of these reported here.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Thats just it. I am not sure if the codes are leading me to something, but warning lights and the SEL code I get (P0335) dont seem to be consistent. Also, I think I fixed the jerking problem, albiet I have been scared to really drive it hard with all of the other lights lighting up on the dash.

Should I change the Crank pos sensor and see what happens? or take it to the dealership and pay the outrageous diagnostic fees?

Given your operation issues and the code, I'd R&R the crank position sensor.

N52 being basically a N54, and the sensor being an easy fix, I say click HERE
Old 11-17-2013, 03:04 PM

WHy not? okay. will do . Thanks all.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
CP sensors crack, get oil in them, and short in and out. My wife's car would stall and and jerk and just die for a while sometimes. Replaced Crank Shaft and Camshaft sensors in her car and not a problem since. At least it not's a super expensive "throw at" repair if you can DIY to rule them out and not a bad idea to replace anyway.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 PM

Well, looks like that did the trick! Car drives better than it has in a long time. New coils and plugs and a new crankshaft position sensor.

one thing, will the SEL go out on it's own or should I have it cleared. THANKS ALL, very excited to have my ride back on the go.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Re: A tough problem, a challenge for you masters

I had to clear my fault code out as it stayed on. Maybe it will.eventually go off but I got tired of waiting.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using BimmerApp mobile app