Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: A4
Pandora Question

Pandora works great over bluetooth, but once I plug it in with a cable it will only play music loaded on my iPhone.

I can go into the iPhone Pandora app and try to start it, but after 3 - 5 seconds my stored music takes back over.

If I unhook the cable and then start Pandora it seems to work just fine... What am I missing here?

Iphone 5s
IOS7
428i w/Nav but Not tech package

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
You do not have the BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth & USB option, so you cannot use iPhone apps like Pandora via the USB port.

What you are experiencing via Bluetooth is over the standard protocol for audio streaming which your BMW accepts from any smartphone.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Pandora Question

You should have enhanced USB function and BMW Apps with Nav on the 428i. The only thing that the technology package has that Nav doesn't is HUD.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)

Last edited by jzcrna; 11-18-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Pandora Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuzzz View Post
Pandora works great over bluetooth, but once I plug it in with a cable it will only play music loaded on my iPhone.

I can go into the iPhone Pandora app and try to start it, but after 3 - 5 seconds my stored music takes back over.

If I unhook the cable and then start Pandora it seems to work just fine... What am I missing here?

Iphone 5s
IOS7

Thanks!
go to the Menu-->BMW connected drive--->BMW Apps-->Pandora

I think that you already need to have the Pandora App open on your phone before you follow the steps above. Hope this helps.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM

Correct... By adding just NAV it adds.

Instrument cluster with extended contents$0
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration$0
BMW Apps - iOS and Android$0
Remote Services$0
Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information$0
BMW Online

So, with that being said how do I over come my issue? I want to have my iPhone plugged in via cable for charging and still be able to stream Pandora.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post

I think that you already need to have the Pandora App open on your phone before you follow the steps above. Hope this helps.

KK. Let me try that.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post

Ok, it works as described. Thanks!

However, when using USB and this method you can't seem to exit the Pandora application or it stops working from the BMW side. When using Bluetooth you can still use your iPhone for other things, but it seems like once hooked up using USB you can't do anything else besides play music.

Is there a setting on the car or phone side that I'm missing?

Cheers!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:

However, when using USB and this method you can't seem to exit the Pandora application or it stops working from the BMW side. When using Bluetooth you can still use your iPhone for other things, but it seems like once hooked up using USB you can't do anything else besides play music.

Cheers!
Great! No, Im afraid you are correct. When using the USB for the phone apps, you cannot deviate onto other things. No multitasking like there is bluetooth streaming.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

Old 11-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
This is my biggest disappointment with BMW Apps. I actually preferred the behavior on my E90 without BMW apps.

I've mostly switched to iTunes Radio now, which behaves like Pandora used to. Music resumes after ending a call, unlike Pandora via BMW Apps, which exits the app after a call ends, killing the music until you reopen Pandora. Additionally, iTunes Radio stations appear and can be browsed like any other playlist.

I haven't looked into it, but I'd like to disable BMW Apps entirely, giving up the ability to rate music and browse Pandora stations in favor of the ability to make/answer calls without having to reopen the app.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:21 PM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
Pandora Question

Quote:

Cheers!
Just drive good god man.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:27 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:

Iphone 5s
IOS7

Thanks!
My F10 does the same thing, although I've mostly tried streaming Spotify. This isn't a Pandora issue or an F30 issue; it has something to do with the handshake the iPhone makes with the BMW computer. It's highly annoying, too.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:28 PM

Pandora Question

yeah I actually paid $500 for BMW apps and $3000 or so for the technology package. kind of a waste.

Unfortunately, on the 4 series and probably the 2 you cannon get enhanced Bluetooth without Navigation.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

Old 11-18-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Cheers!
Didn't realize you had a 4 Series, sorry.

I have a 2013 3 Series w/Technology Package and the way I use Pandora is via the USB port but without launching BMW Apps on my iPhone first. The issue here may be that the BMW iDrive system can only provide audio via Bluetooth or USB but not both simultaneously. If you go to Media > iPhone > Options Button > Bluetooth Audio and turn it to "off" you may find that you can stream Pandora audio over your car system via USB without using the BMW Apps app and thus get the proper control you want like muting the music for a call and resuming, etc.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I have a 2013 3 Series w/Technology Package and the way I use Pandora is via the USB port but without launching BMW Apps on my iPhone first.
That's also how I use Pandora, but I find that making or receiving a call usually results in the app exiting on the phone and the music not resuming until the app is reopened.

In my E90 without BMW Apps, if I opened Pandora and started playing a station while the phone was connected to my car via USB, I was able to use the steering wheel and iDrive controls to skip to the next song, and music would resume after a phone call. Given the choice, I'd prefer to have that functionality back, rather than having the ability to vote songs up/down and browse the Pandora stations via iDrive.

That said, iTunes Radio is working out pretty well, and I'm not really missing Pandora.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtguy View Post
That's also how I use Pandora, but I find that making or receiving a call usually results in the app exiting on the phone and the music not resuming until the app is reopened.

In my E90 without BMW Apps, if I opened Pandora and started playing a station while the phone was connected to my car via USB, I was able to use the steering wheel and iDrive controls to skip to the next song, and music would resume after a phone call. Given the choice, I'd prefer to have that functionality back, rather than having the ability to vote songs up/down and browse the Pandora stations via iDrive.

That said, iTunes Radio is working out pretty well, and I'm not really missing Pandora.
I like iTunes Radio on my Apple TV, but on my iPhone, different story. I travel a lot and I need my iTunes music collection native on my iPhone. Enabling iTunes Radio means enabling iTunes Match and that erases all the music on the phone. That's normally okay since I have LTE coverage and an unlimited data plan and can stream it, but when I'm on a plane, different story and its annoying to have to re-sync everything. Keeping iTunes Match 'off' on the iPhone gives me commercials and skip limits, yuck.

BJ

Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I like iTunes Radio on my Apple TV, but on my iPhone, different story. I travel a lot and I need my iTunes music collection native on my iPhone. Enabling iTunes Radio means enabling iTunes Match and that erases all the music on the phone. That's normally okay since I have LTE coverage and an unlimited data plan and can stream it, but when I'm on a plane, different story and its annoying to have to re-sync everything. Keeping iTunes Match 'off' on the iPhone gives me commercials and skip limits, yuck.

BJ
Not sure if you already knew it, but with iTunes Match on, you can download whatever you like locally to the phone for the times when you're without coverage. Just tap the cloud icon next to the album or song.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtguy View Post
Not sure if you already knew it, but with iTunes Match on, you can download whatever you like locally to the phone for the times when you're without coverage. Just tap the cloud icon next to the album or song.
Yes, thanks, I did know that.

Problem is, when I'm on a 16 hour flight to Hong Kong I need 3,000 songs onboard, not a bunch of cloud icons and no network to download them from.

BJ

Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM

Pandora Question

^ download all 3000 of them. The point he was making is that the cloud match doesn't keep you from having your songs locally stored. You just have to tell the phone you want that.

It's actually convenient at the point where you have more music than will fit on your phone. You can move music on and off as it suits you.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
^ download all 3000 of them. The point he was making is that the cloud match doesn't keep you from having your songs locally stored. You just have to tell the phone you want that.

It's actually convenient at the point where you have more music than will fit on your phone. You can move music on and off as it suits you.
That is not correct. If you turn Match on, it deletes the native files on the iPhone except for the ones that it cannot match (in my case about 100 of 3,000 songs). The only way to have all 3,000 installed natively is to either a) tap the cloud icon 3,000 times or b) turn off iTunes Match and re-sync with your iTunes library.

BJ

Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
That is not correct. If you turn Match on, it deletes the native files on the iPhone except for the ones that it cannot match (in my case about 100 of 3,000 songs). The only way to have all 3,000 installed natively is to either a) tap the cloud icon 3,000 times or b) turn off iTunes Match and re-sync with your iTunes library.

BJ
Everything you said is right, but none of it makes what I said wrong. With iTunes Match, you can download at the song, artist, or playlist level. You can make one playlist that includes all of the music you want local, and download it all with one tap of the cloud. And - I'm about 90% confident - after you do that, the songs you downloaded would be playable as local even if you don't access them through your big playlist.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Everything you said is right, but none of it makes what I said wrong. With iTunes Match, you can download at the song, artist, or playlist level. You can make one playlist that includes all of the music you want local, and download it all with one tap of the cloud. And - I'm about 90% confident - after you do that, the songs you downloaded would be playable as local even if you don't access them through your big playlist.
You're correct and that's what I was getting at with my recommendation. It's what I do ahead of time when I travel. I don't download all my songs, just a subset by downloading individual albums or a whole playlist.