Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Ryan Salazar

Send a message via AIM to ryansalazar Send a message via Yahoo to ryansalazar
Mein Auto: BMW 325CIC
Oil Filter Destroyed and Engine / Emissions lights on?

This Saturday I had an oil change. Shortly after leaving the shop my emissions light came on. Shortly after that my Service Engine Soon light came on. Yes, the proper oil was put into the car. I spoke to the dealer and they said I'd be fine to come in Monday morning. Dropped the car off, got a loaner...and then yesterday the guy at the dealer said my filter was "eaten up" almost like a mouse chewed all over the top of it. He said they replaced the filter and it happened again.

Now the dealer is claiming that potentially this happened from my oil change, but they aren't sure. They said they aren't sure if it's covered by BMW yet. Is it me or shouldn't this be covered under CPO? It sounds like the engine itself which should be covered under the warranty, correct?

ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE - When a computer was hooked up to the car, the alert says, "Cam/Crankshaft Pos. Correlation Sensor A - Bank 1"

I haven't heard back yet, but I'm just nervous and praying here. Ideas?

Last edited by ryansalazar; 11-21-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansalazar View Post
This Saturday I had an oil change. Shortly after leaving the shop my emissions light came on. Shortly after that my Service Engine Soon light came on. Yes, the proper oil was put into the car. I spoke to the dealer and they said I'd be fine to come in Monday morning. Dropped the car off, got a loaner...and then yesterday the guy at the dealer said my filter was "eaten up" almost like a mouse chewed all over the top of it. He said they replaced the filter and it happened again.

Now the dealer is claiming that potentially this happened from my oil change, but they aren't sure. They said they aren't sure if it's covered by BMW yet. Is it me or shouldn't this be covered under CPO? It sounds like the engine itself which should be covered under the warranty, correct?

ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE - When a computer was hooked up to the car, the alert says, "Cam/Crankshaft Pos. Correlation Sensor A - Bank 1"

I haven't heard back yet, but I'm just nervous and praying here. Ideas?

THIS is interesting! Dealer response worth: dust. Sounds like a bad install. Twice?

Please, DO keep posting - an unusual issue.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i Sedan
This definitely is an unusual issue. How does an oil change cause the oil filter to get chewed out?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
Perhaps it was the wrong filter or one that was manufactured out of spec (too long).

As long as hard debris didn't get into the engine, you should be OK.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:16 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I have seen this type of damage when the pressure relief valve failed to function and the oil pressure output was around 300psi. This was on a BMW that had the wrong oil in the winter. I can't see this being right since you used synthetic oil unless the pressure relief valve failed. All I can think of is a manufacturing defect from the filter supplier as more logical than a pressure relief valve not functioning when all was right when you took it in...
Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
who did the oil change? where did you get the filter.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Magic 8 Ball says expensive engine work is in the OPs future. No response as to who will be paying for the repair.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
....very interesting indeed. Never heard of this happening before. Either a filter made of tissue paper or, like stated above, too much pressure (makes sense but really?).
Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
I had my oil changed this week and he informed me that something similar happened to me. He explained that the filter is made to fit snug in a certain position and that when Penzoil put the cap on it wasn't sitting properly resulting in the filter being crushed and broken into pieces. I didn't notice any issues however as a result, other than the fact that I won't be returning to Penzoil for an oil change anytime soon.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
did you use OEM filter or after market filter

My servuce manager said to me once "never use after market oil filter"
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 12-15-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner292929 View Post
I had my oil changed this week and he informed me that something similar happened to me. He explained that the filter is made to fit snug in a certain position and that when Penzoil put the cap on it wasn't sitting properly resulting in the filter being crushed and broken into pieces. I didn't notice any issues however as a result, other than the fact that I won't be returning to Penzoil for an oil change anytime soon.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 PM

the closest BMW dealership is four hours away from me; Mr.Lubes will have to do!
Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner292929 View Post
the closest BMW dealership is four hours away from me; Mr.Lubes will have to do!
I'm just kidding with you, but what do you pay, just out curiosity? I do it myself, but it ends costing ~$60 in oil/filter from a local dealer.

@ OP: I've also had the disintegrated filter issue, in an X5. However, I had no issues with the engine. Tech said he sees this once in a while.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
I'm just kidding with you, but what do you pay, just out curiosity? I do it myself, but it ends costing ~$60 in oil/filter from a local dealer.

@ OP: I've also had the disintegrated filter issue, in an X5. However, I had no issues with the engine. Tech said he sees this once in a while.
$100 its 84 for the full synthetic oil and $17 for the filter.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Major suggestion here. Buy your own filters. You can get a 6 pack of them for maybe 70 bucks or less Mahle or Mann and that is what the dealerships use just re-branded with BMW logo on them. Then provide the filter to the change place. That way you know the filter cannot be the problem. It is almost idiot proof installation but again almost is the key word here. I used to take my car to a quick lube until I watched them fill my old Chrysler with ATF in the crankcase and had them drain and refill. They are just not your best bet unless you take the time to watch them and provide the filter.
4 hour drive to the dealer is one thing but there are indy's that can do this job and it isn't going to cost much more than what you paid at a quick lube...
Old 12-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Major suggestion here. Buy your own filters. You can get a 6 pack of them for maybe 70 bucks or less Mahle or Mann and that is what the dealerships use just re-branded with BMW logo on them. Then provide the filter to the change place. That way you know the filter cannot be the problem. It is almost idiot proof installation but again almost is the key word here. I used to take my car to a quick lube until I watched them fill my old Chrysler with ATF in the crankcase and had them drain and refill. They are just not your best bet unless you take the time to watch them and provide the filter.
4 hour drive to the dealer is one thing but there are indy's that can do this job and it isn't going to cost much more than what you paid at a quick lube...
It looks like OP had an oil change done by the dealer, so I don't think the issue is a bad filter. I've tried this on other cars and places don't like you bringing your own parts.