Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-22-2013, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: E90
Having fog inside only 1 headlight after washing?

I have aftermarket headlights that were installed couple of days ago, yesterday i went to wash my car, i only washed it with a hose to get some dirt of it.
the temperature outside is fine ~25C and there was no rain or anything.
i also washed both headlights from the outside and then after i finished i noticed that one of them became foggy inside, i dident know why it happened but i left it out so maybe it will disappear but today i came after almost 24 hours and still one headlight has fog inside it and the other one clear as crystal.

can anyone help me? is there anything wrong with my headlight? thanks!

Last edited by Charge; 12-05-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i

There is a leak somewhere. Simplest place to check is the access ports for the light bulbs. If not there, you may want to buy some silicone sealant and seal between the lens and housing.

Which brand are those?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge View Post
I have aftermarket headlights that were installed couple of days ago, yesterday i went to wash my car, i only washed it with a hose to get some dirt of it.
the temperature outside is fine ~25C and there was no rain or anything.
i also washed both headlights from the outside and then after i finished i noticed that one of them became foggy inside, i dident know why it happened but i left it out so maybe it will disappear but today i came after almost 24 hours and still one headlight has fog inside it and the other one clear as crystal.

can anyone help me? is there anything wrong with my headlight?

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.......YES

That's not normal, as I believe you've guessed.

Help you to do what? Clear the fog? Seal the unit? Complain to the manufacturer + make a warranty claim?

A good example -- when using aftermarket parts -- it's caveat emptor.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 AM

damn, update: "what i did was to remove the high beam bulb and fan it from the inside, it made it disappear."

two hours later: WTH, after i finushed all the drying i closed everything up, the car just sat in the garage, i dident started it up nor there was any rain or cold temps but when i came a hour later again there was condisation inside the same headlight.

so what are my options now? what should i do? where to start checking?

thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Found the Search Button

You have a garage... Leave the headlight open overnight and let it air out.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:20 AM

do you mean open the hood? the bulb covers? take the bulbs out? what to open?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
That looks bad, overtime it will stain the inside lens, hase the plastic optics etc
I have original headlamp like that, will ask dealer to replace it since I am still under waranty and only on passenger side.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM

Well i dont think it is that drastic, there must be a solution to this maybe a seal to the back cover, meanwhile the manufacturer claims it is somethong that will happen for 1 or 2 times then will disappear and will not happen again, we will how thinga unfold, i will update

Anyways if anyone got solutions he think might work i will be happy to hear them.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Well i dont think it is that drastic, there must be a solution to this maybe a seal to the back cover, meanwhile the manufacturer claims it is somethong that will happen for 1 or 2 times then will disappear and will not happen again, we will how thinga unfold, i will update

Anyways if anyone got solutions he think might work i will be happy to hear them.

Which manufacturer is that?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Found the Search Button

Quote:

You could seal the headlight yourself, but then again you may be better off trying to get one that doesn't leak to begin with.

The seller's response sounds like a way to delay you sending it back until after the traditional return period has ended.

Who is the seller? Those of us who are close to buying lights want to know.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM

ATM i do not want to hurt the reputation of any manufacturer, i will see how this issue is going on and i will update.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
I would send it back immediately, if it leak now it will always leak, if you dont send it back now the next post will be,

Manufacturer wont take defective light back
Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
ATM i do not want to hurt the reputation of any manufacturer, i will see how this issue is going on and i will update.

Do you have psychiatric issues?

Are you taking medication?

MANUFACTURER SCREWED YOU! Notified of malfunctioning product, they opted to BS: YOU

Old 11-23-2013, 02:43 PM

Well i managed to detect at least one place that has a broken seal and water coming in from, did notified the manufacturer, waiting for his response.

promise to keep you updated, btw for those wondering, no psychiatric issues nor medications taken
Old 11-24-2013, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
These headlights are NOT 100% sealed. There are pressure vents on the top and bottom of the headlights.

There shouldn't be that much condensation but a little is possible. Don't go crazy trying to get an air tight seal, it won't and should not be 100% sealed.

Check the turn signal socket.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-24-2013, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 335XI

I had the same thing happen time, however my fault. I upgraded my HID bulbs and didn't seal the access door all the way. Come to find out it cracked and the notch where it clipped in broke. Ordered a new cover from ECS tuning, all good now.

BTW to remove the condensation, let car sit in hot sun or blow compressed air into the turn signal bulb access hole

Old 11-24-2013, 11:08 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Do you have psychiatric issues?

Are you taking medication?

MANUFACTURER SCREWED YOU! Notified of malfunctioning product, they opted to BS: YOU

big time, this isnt a joke